Jib sheet(s) attach to clew. Two lines or one?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
IMG_1116.JPG
I'm curious as to what your preference is to attach the jib sheets to the clew of your headsail. Do you use two lines and a knot and/or shackle, or one long line and a single hitch (clove, half, etc.)! I'm currently using two lines and bowline knots and during last summer I had one of the bowlines shake out. That made for an interesting reattachment in 15 kt breeze. I'm thinking one long line, shared between port and starboard with a clove hitch will work better for me. My headsail is hanked on. Any downside or extra benefits you can think of would be helpful. The pic above shows what the PO showed me to do with two lines. Mostly it worked well, but as I said, just curious if there's a better way.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Mine has one. Granted, if one side gets frayed then I have to replace the whole sheet. But at least it will keep the sheets equal as far as time in use. Second, there is no unsightly knot or knots at the clew. Just a wrap over thru the clew eyelet.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I use a continuous single line and attach it using the luggage tag approach. Give me a smaller "knot" at the clew and reduces the possibility of the jib sheets hanging up in a tack. Only bad part is if (when) you want to take it off you'll need a marlinspike to undo the "luggage tag" as over time it will get very tight. But, I only took it off once and that was to replace a sail so I figure I'm good until it's that time again.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
We used to do it like your pic shows. We have since gone to using just one line, with an overhand loop in the middle, attached to the clew with a soft shackle.

Headsail changes are a lot faster now. The sheets stay in place, just undo the shackle and put it on the new clew.

Nov 30, 2015
We used to do it like your pic shows. We have since gone to using just one line, with an overhand loop in the middle, attached to the clew with a soft shackle.

Headsail changes are a lot faster now. The sheets stay in place, just undo the shackle and put it on the new clew.
That's a great point Gene. I have three headsails, 110, 150, and storm...plus a second reef point on each. So I saw myself purchasing three new jib lines. Tell me more about a "soft shackle". I didn't like the idea of having any hardware flogging around on a tack...and I tack a lot on this fairly narrow finger Lake.

Reef point on the 110 shown here...

IMG_1075.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I prefer a single sheet. Finding the mid point, I make a double figure of eight with a loop of about 6". The loop is started thru the clew and then both bitter ends are passed thru the loop and pulled tight. This creates a half hitch thru the clew that opens easily at seasons end to allow for washing the sail and folding.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
My preference is a single line with a cow hitch (aka luggage tag hitch) for a couple of reasons. Bowlines, no matter how small you tie them get caught on the rigging and elsewhere. Bowlines are also heavier than the cow hitch, in lighter air there is less weight on the clew so the sail flies better.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
If you change the leads (e.g., inboard track or toe rail blocks) then there might be some advantages to the conventional to lines.

By the way, what type of knot do you have tied, BlowMeAway?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
That's a great point Gene. I have three headsails, 110, 150, and storm...plus a second reef point on each. So I saw myself purchasing three new jib lines. Tell me more about a "soft shackle". I didn't like the idea of having any hardware flogging around on a tack...and I tack a lot on this fairly narrow finger Lake.
I was skeptical about soft shackles until I actually tried using them. To my shame, I will admit here and now that I don't (YET) know how to make them myself, but I do know how to buy them cheap on ebay. They open and close quickly and easily, I have not had a failure, and don't expect one. It doesn't seem to matter which end you stick where, or how the shackle is oriented.

http://www.sailmagazine.com/gear/sail-rope-and-rigging/on-deck-soft-shackles/

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Pardon, but it took me a few seconds to shift my attention from what I assume is a very important person for you (the lady in pink) ... to the topic of your post which is the the routing of the jig sheets that are shown in your picture.

It seems that one jib sheet is for close-hauled = inside the shrouds? And the other it for more "off wind" = outside the shrouds?

On San Francisco Bay, I have seen this setup. But also, for inside the shrouds, the boats would sheet to a t-track on the cabin top or located on the main deck right against the cabin top. Either would be utilized for close-haul sailing.

For the jib sheet routed outside shrouds, the boats have a second t-track mounted right along the gunwall. This jib sheet is used for off wind tacks.

One consideration is that a competent crew is required to manage between the two.

Another is that the head sail probably shouldn't exceed say 100-110%. Except for very light winds, and a proper cut, a (say) 135 genoa doesn't route inside the the shroud very well.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Those bowlines could be less bulky? Anyway, you have a short season up near Ithaca and Cornell.

Nov 30, 2015
If you change the leads (e.g., inboard track or toe rail blocks) then there might be some advantages to the conventional to lines.

By the way, what type of knot do you have tied, BlowMeAway?
Bowlines with a simple overhand hitch and the other with an overhand stopper. Trying two different bowline bastardations to see if anything helps.

Nov 30, 2015
Hello @rardiH36, no just two separate lines, both outside shrouds, single toe rail blocks on starboard and port. No magic here. You can see the port sheet pass in front of the mast...but your eyes need to see the mast...sorry about the pink distraction...and we're talking about jibs not jugs.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
My Catalina 28 has just one headsail, a roller furling 135. Because I never swap headsails, a continuous line makes the most sense for me. I secure it with a larkshead knot.

Nov 30, 2015
If your bowline is coming undone, you're not tying it right.
You would think so, but they do unravel without a constant load and a lot of shaking or flogging.

Nov 30, 2015
Those bowlines could be less bulky? Anyway, you have a short season up near Ithaca and Cornell.
Yes, we do have a short season. It really sucks knowing many of my SBO forum comrades have Year round fun. Regardless I appreciate all the favorable responses during this winter sebatical. To get less bulky bowlines I will need thinner line. Working that angle too!