It's 100 degrees outside and I'm thinking about how to heat a 1984 H34 come winter.

Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White St Helens, OR
The boat is located on the Columbia River outside of Portland. looking to use it more this winter and do a variety of interior projects when things get cold.

What heat source have you inhaled and why. And if you installed a stove like a Dickinson -did you figure out where to install one and how to run a chimney out the top of the boat?

Thanks as always for the help.
Sam

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Lots of options.............diesel heater, marine HVAC units, portable electric heater, propane heater. etc. Depends whether you will only use it at the dock plugged into power and/or on the hook with a generator and whether summer air conditioning is desired and whether you want to install a raw water intake thru hull / valve. Diesel heater can be used both at the dock and on the hook, does not require shore power or generator, raw water intake thruhull and adress summer cooling. Standalone electric heater is very inexpensive but can only be used with shore power or a generator. My sailboat has a portable electric heater and works well for the San Francisco Bay for its reatively small interior space whereas my powerboat has a diesel heater (and HVAC unit) which works really well for its large cabin space.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
and whether summer air conditioning is desired
Please note that the ocean and most likely river water "up here" is a lot colder than in SF. Ten degrees colder F, 47 vs 57. Heat pumps usually stop working at 40F water temp, so not a lot of leeway, unless elec resis heat is added to the ducting.
Diesel is the way to go unless you stayed tied to the dock.

Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White St Helens, OR
The boat came up from Florida with an ac/heat unit...I have the compresser, a lot of wires and the thru hull...but no blower or heat exchanger, refrigerant and very little duct work (us there RV been room to run any give the lack of storage spaces on a H34)... so looking for solution while at sea and at anchor. And looking for cheaper than Esbar forced hear. Given the design of the cabin top with the long spray hood, was wondering what solutions other owners have done.

thanks.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.........so looking for solution while at sea and at anchor. And looking for cheaper than Esbar forced hear.............
With that additional information diesel is your only option.........forced draft heater from a Wallas, Espar, Webasto, Itrheat Hurricane-Zephyr (diesel heater with a 1500 watt electic heater while at the dock, which I have on my powerboat) and Chinese knock-offs, which can be mounted in a aft lazarette outside the cabin OR a cabin bulkhead heater from Dickerson (which I had on my Hunter 31 but never used), Newport, etc.

Do a search on this forum on "diesel heaters" and you will find lots of threads like: Diesel heater | Sailboat Owners Forums , Diesel Heater install on H460/466 | Sailboat Owners Forums and Adding Webasto ST2000 to Hunter 376 | Sailboat Owners Forums . You will find tesimonies mostly for Wallas and Espar, which I plan to install on my sailboat.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
A forced air diesel heater is compact, can draw diesel from your main tank, energy efficient enough to run off the grid and most importantly gives lots of dry heat.
I've had my Chinese knockoff of the expensive units for almost 3 years now with absolutely no problems. Think I did it for like $300 complete. That was with buying a eberbacher skin fitting for the exhaust and a better ss tube muffler.
The hydronic system heating water to circulate through heat exchanger registers is something that does interest me also but I'm good for now on with what I have on my h410, its simpler.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My opinion, Diesel heater is the most efficient system for winter heating a boat in the PacificNW when not at the dock.

When in a marina I supplement diesel heat with an electric oil radiator in the V-berth.

I am biased to the Wallas probably because the one I have came new uninstalled in the boat. The install went smoothly and the heat provided is excellent.

There are less expensive models like the Russian built Planar heater. Planar Diesel Heaters | Diesel Heater For Boats, Trucks & Camper Vans
I can attest to the performance of the one installed in @LeslieTroyer’s Catalina 36. We sailed for 18 days during one of the worst February storms in the past 50 years. That little heater kept us warm, running pretty much 24/7 the whole trip.

The hydronic systems are intriguing. @Hayden Watson sails out of Whidbey island and installed one that he enjoys. Says that once he plumbed the engine into the system on his Catalina 30 he was able to create a big enough heat sink to get better heat in the boat. A plus the engine is warm and turns over easy on the coldest mornings.

Insulation is your true friend in this challenge. Our boats leak heat like they were made of open mesh screens. :eek:

Insulating the ducts, the cabin roof, hull, ports, hatches etc all play a role in trying to retain the heat you create. Once you sealed all the leaks you need to exchange the air to prevent the cabin from raining inside. This means introducing outside cold dry air into the system and venting the moist air out from cooking and just breathing.

The comfort we seek is complicated, but worth the investment to be able to use your boat on the shoulder seasons October thru March. The marina’s and anchorage’s are generally empty. The workers in the marina’s are always amazed to see a boat winter cruising. They are never to busy to help.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
The key to staying dry and well as warm in the PNW winters is bringing fresh air into the boat. On my hydronic sytstem (and forced air system before that) I sealed up the cabin as best as I could and pulled 1/2 of the return air for the heater from an outside sourse through a cowl vent. The ouside air is dryer than what is inside and pushes the moist interior air out of the boat. I always have a dry boat when the heater is on.