Installing a composting head on board CHRISTMAS.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
dlj, tom's boats name is 'Christmas'. you do the math
Reminds me of a joke. An elderly man who was was very wealthy decided he needed to hire an accountant. Now this man was illiterate, he'd built his empire from the ground up from a young kid and had never gone to school. So he brings into his office the first applicant accountant, tells him about himself explaining how he really didn't know what to ask as he himself was illiterate. So he asks the person, "How much is 2+2?" The candidate responded "4". The elderly man said "Thank you very much" and asked for the next candidate to come in. Same story, same response. The third candidate comes in and when the elderly gentleman asked his question, he sat a second, got up, checked the windows and doors and then quietly asked the gentleman, "How much do you want it to be?"

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
tom, i'm curious is all. up here on the lakes it is not what i will need. my 1974 mansfield vac-u-flush head is still working fine. keep tweeking it all these years, has kept it in working just fine. like all the old systems on this alden, i enjoy keeping is as it was. i would seal up the hole in the cabin top. just thinking 100 years out. :cool:

if our boats were automobiles, they would be Duesenbergs.
Lake sailors are the best stewards of the water. NDZ bodies of water are cleaner.

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
Just curious, but would it have worked to run the vent into the mast instead of a separate vent hole and use it as a chimney?

Mark

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mark.
Not an idea I have ever heard nor one I would choose. Venting gas’s and getting air in to the system is the goal. Putting the vent into the mast would reduce air flow contrary to purpose/function.

There are boat manufacturers that have used a stanchion as a vent. Does not work in practice. No way to clear the vent when something plugs up the vent.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Just curious, but would it have worked to run the vent into the mast instead of a separate vent hole and use it as a chimney?

Mark
Mark, are you trying to be funny?

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
Mark, are you trying to be funny?
No, sorry, was just a thought. I thought about vents in stanchions, and thought that the purpose of this vent was just to allow air drying and not vent smells, and saw it was located right next to your mast, and just got a crazy thought that it could be done without a deck vent. Had just finished my coffee and was in the throes of caffeine.

I also forgot that you had a wood mast.

Carry on!
Mark

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
No, sorry, was just a thought. I thought about vents in stanchions, and thought that the purpose of this vent was just to allow air drying and not vent smells, and saw it was located right next to your mast, and just got a crazy thought that it could be done without a deck vent. Had just finished my coffee and was in the throes of caffeine.

I also forgot that you had a wood mast.

Carry on!
Mark
Haha! I could sort of read that as I know your mind from past posts. :)

Cleaning the flue on a 91'er...

Lattifa main mast.jpg

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
The final step in this install, is another un-install:
I'm happy to report that 61-year-old GRP grinds away like soft stone with no separations or flaws. I previously fit a 2" teak bung in the 1/4" teak flooring over the curved hull where the thru hull was mounted, to block the nasty dust from entering.
Thru hole glass in.jpeg

The West system theory to start with the biggest cloth circle and cut diminishing concentric circles, works well on paper or pixels. In a boatyard on the tailgate of a PU truck, in 15 knot winds, it's a long shot. There are just too many circles to fill. You'd have to cut down 1/16" with laboratory precision as I'm already over 20 pieces, and that includes 3 circles of 24oz woven roving. So my method is West systems plan topped by a variety of overlapping circles.

I'm almost there, a fat 1/8" below the surface. Soon it's Filler time.

patch 20+ layers.jpeg

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
We've been using the OGO for a month now so I thought I should wrap up this thread in case anyone is considering a composting head.

I've just closed the 'loop', so to speak, on a cycle with the solids container.

My biggest unknown was that we are not livaboards and sail weekends and a few long stints. My best source for info has been a large UK FB group of composting toilet users, many living on narrow canal boats.

I was assured that it should be no problem and in fact, the added time between use would only result in further drying of solid waste (which is 75% water to start).

They were right. After several weekends, a 4 day stint, over a month of time, all we've done is push the button (starts the electric mixing mechanism). The tiny fan runs 24/7 and uses a fraction of an AH per day.

I went out today to do the first change of the solid container. I pushed the button to give the drying material (coco coir) a mix, opened the base and pulled the solids bucket out.

Looked the same as when I put it in a month ago. There's no smell (I checked!). I put a tall kitchen bag over the bucket, inverted it, tapped the bucket - spun the cog that turns the mixers - and out fell about half a bucket of coco coir, now just a bit heavier than it was a month ago.

No leaking, no compost debris inside the compartment. Nothing to clean inside. I filled the container back to the line with new material, and put it back in place. Easy, clean and fast.

I probably - at this rate - could go another weekend or two. The mixer motor wasn't bogging down and still no odors. But now I see it is so easy I'll likely stick to once a month of weekend use.

When we're off full-time onboard (next week!!), I guess I'll figure a week and a half before emptying the solid container. The coco coir bricks are cheap, light and compact. A pack of 5 will last us a whole season and take up less space (dry) than a couple of rolls of paper towels.

The only real work is in the liquid waste side. We quickly learned that a 2.4-gallon tank wouldn't go long (about 2 days with 2). So I ordered another tank asap and received it in a few days. The alarm light is unmistakable and comes on when the liquid container is 3/4 full. Now we always have an empty spare in the head locker.

We take one tank ashore every other day to dispose of it in a safe spot(trees, shrubs). Some UK peeps said dump it in the water but why? Might as well keep all our waste out of the sea, if we can.

The only odor (so far) comes from the liquid container when you change it. Put the screw cap on and it's gone. The complete cleaning has been a simple spray of A squirt of plant-based dish soap and fresh water in the included spray bottle when you use the urine diverter. I quickly adjusted to sitting and it's now second nature on the boat.

My partner and I were suspicious of the 'no smells', she especially. We keep walking in the head and sniffing. Only smell so far is sea breeze in the head compartment.

She's the OGO's biggest fan now. The lack of a head smell is the biggest plus for us. It's so simple and maintenance-free for me.

We're very happy we made the change.

The end.

IMG_4376.jpeg

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Thanks Tom. I’m intrigued by this.
Do you think your OGO would be able to keep up with 6 solids per day? If so, how long would it take before it required emptying? Also how do you clean the edges of the bowl if something misses the hole for solids? Sterile wipes?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Thanks Tom. I’m intrigued by this.
Do you think your OGO would be able to keep up with 6 solids per day? If so, how long would it take before it required emptying? Also how do you clean the edges of the bowl if something misses the hole for solids? Sterile wipes?
Hi Larry, OGO says the solids bin has 25-30 uses capacity. Sounds about right to me.

At first, we had doubts, but the design seems to be well thought out for humans of various sizes and genders. :) Glad I'm not in that field of R&D.

As the sliding door is out of the opening when using the solids side, it would just be a matter of more of the spray and a wipe with a paper towel or use a wet wipe. All the business surfaces are well finished and easy to clean.

Some added moisture to the medium isn't a problem, it just uses up capacity. What you're really doing is absorbing, evaporating (desiccating) water.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
@Captain Larry-DH I can't answer your first question yet, but the second one - well I thought I could answer it but I see I'm going to have now find it. I thought @thinwater had mentioned a product on this thread but I just went back and it's not here - might have been on cruisers and sailors forum or maybe somewhere else - that product works a charm! I bought that product at his suggestion and have been using it in the spray bottle provided by OGO. I spray down the area in need of cleaning and wipe with toilet paper. It's a product that kills the smell - also I use it on the urine side to clean. I like the smell, and it really seems to work very well. Now, I realize I'm going to have to go look on my boat but as right now I'm selling my house and moving, I don't see anyway I can get down to the boat for a couple weeks...

dj

Just realized I bought this on Amazon so it's in my past orders list:
Bio-Enzymatic Urine Digester with Odor Neutralizer by Nilodor, Original

I really like this stuff!!!!

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Having looked back for the info on the cleaner I'm using, I realized there was a fair bit of conversation on smell. I also realized I haven't posted here on this thread much about my install. Not that I want to hyjack the thread but I do feel what I did may be useful info.

While doing my forward head install, I realized venting outside was going to be rather a problem. OGO has a carbon filter addition that is in development (not yet a product) but they gave me two (one for each head) to be used when you can't vent as a kind of trial. Trialing on two heads at once is not usually my MO....

So I've only installed the forward head at this point waiting to see how well that setup worked. So it's now been over 3 months with me using this setup and not venting outside but only within the bathroom space containing the head. I have not been able to detect any smell at all. This also includes me forgetting to dump the liguids, leaving them for about a month just sitting there and still no detectable smell. When I did get back and dump that container it was definitely more pungent during dumping than normal, but nothing else noticeable in the head or boat.

Seems that carbon filter works well and now I will begin the removal of the aft head and install that second OGO there as the aft head was going to be rather more difficult to install an external vent than the forward head and I am definitely not into odors! As far as I'm concerned at this point I am very happy with the performance of these heads!

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I had the opportunity to share space on dLj’s boat in May.
The unit worked well. I do not use the #2 feature as Dave was in Test mode. The marina had a convenient facility so I enjoyed the walk down the dock.

We found that 2 folk produced enough urine to require dumping every 2-3 days. There was no unpleasant smell in the head. Sitting down to go #1 is an acquired taste. Necessary to use the OGO.

I’m not yet a convert but it was an interesting product.