Installing a composting head on board CHRISTMAS.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I've been looking forward to making this switch for a few seasons. The best part of this install is the un-install. Now you see it;
Head wide angle.jpg

Now you don't (20 minutes later):

IMG_3834.jpeg

There is head history (not all memorable,...), in the original 61 yr old raised platform.

I added 2, and all the parts of pieces have been replaced at least once, numerous rebuilds of the pumps, etc. The seacock and thru hull will be the last to go. Original 1961, they don't owe anything to anybody.

With my head 'in it', I had a chance to assess the change. All I'm doing is replacing one waste management system with another. The old one, fairly complex, collects human waste - solid and liquid - and pumps it, along with 2-3 xs the added seawater (in my case), through hoses, valves, and into a holding tank.

Old head and holding 2.jpeg

The contents stew in the tank until we travel (#1) to a pump-out to go into a shoreside holding or sewer system, or we travel (#2) offshore (3mi + depending) to discharge the holding tank into the ocean.

As I've decided after several decades I'm not comfortable disposing of our waste via #2.

P swimming with hat.jpg

And option #1 is rarely available to us unless we spend most of our time on our mooring or in a few populated harbors.

The new waste management system also stores human waste for future disposal. But there is a difference: First, it separates liquid from solid waste.

The liquid is stored in a receptacle that is removable for shoreside disposal. We walk dogs daily so we'll be fertilizing more trees along most of the remote anchorages we visit.

The solid waste will be stored in a drying medium until such time as the 'tank' needs emptying. Legally, in a bin if away from home, on our leaf compost pile when at home. This will be at our leisure and not determine the need to 'move' to a (#1) facility or to (#2), a legal area, an option I've opted out of.

This new system all fits into this:

OGO unpacked.jpeg

I've researched and talked to friends using various composting heads. Our need is: Not living aboard, long weekends and perhaps a month stint each season. The OGO caught my eye and while I wrote it off at first, I came back to the idea, did my homework, and bought one.

Aside from running a 1 1/4" vent stack and driving 4 screws, this install is done!

One request: My long departed mother always told me to resist bathroom humor. She requests you follow her lead. :)

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Friends of ours did a similar install a few years ago and liked it enough to do a custom install on their second head. It’s a different lifestyle but manageable based on your cruising comfort.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I am looking at doing this same thing with my boat. What was your decision tree for the OGO?

dj

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I am looking at doing this same thing with my boat. What was your decision tree for the OGO?

dj
For starters, I talked to friends who were using composting heads. One couple cruising on the other side of the Atlantic and living aboard full time have an Air head. They're happy with it after a few years but they thought the AH (and Natures head, similar) was overkill for part time sailors like us. That plus neither the AH or NH would be an easy fit in our small head.

So I talked to friends doing pretty much the same thing as we do who had a C-Head installed for several seasons. They too were very happy with their choice. So I thought I'd go with the C-Head. The C-Head my friends had turned out to be discontinued. It's a stepped version that fits better on raised platforms like we have.
Somebody from C-Head was going to check their warehouse to see if they had one left over. That was the last I heard from them.

Meanwhile, I had been researching composting toilets and finding other options. At first the OGO turned me off because of the added complexity of the electric auger. But after thinking about it, it began to make sense. I contacted OGO with many questions about build and SS parts etc, and they were very quick to respond. Anything that concerned me has a warranty and parts are easily replaced.

I think it is a clever design. Plus they have a nice venting arrangement, a signal light to alert that the liquid tank is 3/4 full, a convenient hatch that closes over the solids when not needed, and a few other details that I think would work better for us.

And it's smallest one out there I think with a capacity that will likely make more sense for our sporadic use. Depth is 15", a full 3-4" less than any others I'd looked at.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
For starters, I talked to friends who were using composting heads. One couple cruising on the other side of the Atlantic and living aboard full time have an Air head. They're happy with it after a few years but they thought the AH (and Natures head, similar) was overkill for part time sailors like us. That plus neither the AH or NH would be an easy fit in our small head.

So I talked to friends doing pretty much the same thing as we do who had a C-Head installed for several seasons. They too were very happy with their choice. So I thought I'd go with the C-Head. The C-Head my friends had turned out to be discontinued. It's a stepped version that fits better on raised platforms like we have.
Somebody from C-Head was going to check their warehouse to see if they had one left over. That was the last I heard from them.

Meanwhile, I had been researching composting toilets and finding other options. At first the OGO turned me off because of the added complexity of the electric auger. But after thinking about it, it began to make sense. I contacted OGO with many questions about build and SS parts etc, and they were very quick to respond. Anything that concerned me has a warranty and parts are easily replaced.

I think it is a clever design. Plus they have a nice venting arrangement, a signal light to alert that the liquid tank is 3/4 full, a convenient hatch that closes over the solids when not needed, and a few other details that I think would work better for us.

And it's smallest one out there I think with a capacity that will likely make more sense for our sporadic use. Depth is 15", a full 3-4" less than any others I'd looked at.
@TomY I really like the smaller size but I'm concerned as I'm looking to move aboard so my sailing won't be sporadic... I like everything about the OGO but am a bit concerned about the capacity... I checked a few months ago (maybe half a year ago?) and they were saying they were still underdevelopment, but looks like that's now not the case? How long did it take you to get yours after ordering it?

dj

p.s. This is now a moot point - I just saw they had a special sale going on through March 23rd ( I think) so I just bought this head before the sale is over. I've been looking for some time and this is a very nice looking and seemingly good functioning composting head. I guess I'll find out over time how it works out!

Last edited:

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Be sure to post updates after cruising with the OGO this summer. A composting toilet is something that I will be considering down the road. The OGO looks like it will actually fit in my head compartment.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Be sure to post updates after cruising with the OGO this summer. A composting toilet is something that I will be considering down the road. The OGO looks like it will actually fit in my head compartment.
I'm a bit bad with taking photos, but I'll try to remember to take photos. I'll certainly give you my opinions...

dj

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Tom, I think you will be quite happy with this arrangement. I wish this model had been available when I wanted to switch - between AH, NH and C-Head, none would have fit well in my boat.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
@TomY I really like the smaller size but I'm concerned as I'm looking to move aboard so my sailing won't be sporadic... I like everything about the OGO but am a bit concerned about the capacity... I checked a few months ago (maybe half a year ago?) and they were saying they were still underdevelopment, but looks like that's now not the case? How long did it take you to get yours after ordering it?

dj

p.s. This is now a moot point - I just saw they had a special sale going on through March 23rd ( I think) so I just bought this head before the sale is over. I've been looking for some time and this is a very nice looking and seemingly good functioning composting head. I guess I'll find out over time how it works out!
Great! I'm no longer alone. I received it quickly, less than a week.

I was pleased with the actual device. I took it apart and was pleased so far. Parts look easy to change and warranty terms are great.

This is the second gen. OGO, I think. The big changes are a fluid level sensor that has a signal light.
The forerunner had a visual slot to check the level of the liquid tank. I like this idea (sensor) as an overflow wouldn't be fun! I have no idea if these sensors are fool proof, yet. So I'll be wary until the sensor has a track record.

I'm planning a 1 1/4" stack to run up behind my mast in the head of PVC, to connect a short length of the hose OGO includes. The only real work I have is grinding a glassing in the hole left by the thru hull (it came apart piece by piece!) and running a circuit to the OGO. I'm thinking I'll let the tiny fan run 24/7 as it's draw is so low.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Tom, I think you will be quite happy with this arrangement. I wish this model had been available when I wanted to switch - between AH, NH and C-Head, none would have fit well in my boat.
One of the questions to OGO was how how far the lid needed to be raised to allow use and service. I was pleased to hear - and later test myself (photo) that the lid only needs to go verticle. And the vent goes out the side (either side, it's interchangeable) to require less depth than even the smallest marine heads.

OGO lid and top up right side.jpeg

The depth of the OGO is spec'ed at 15" but in fact, it's a bit less. It easily fit my raised platform (with an 1 -2" overhang on the front) with room to spare.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Great! I'm no longer alone. I received it quickly, less than a week.
I bought this morning, tracking number says it will be here Wednesday. wow!

I was pleased with the actual device. I took it apart and was pleased so far. Parts look easy to change and warranty terms are great.
I've heard questions about the robustness of the connection between the bin auger and the motor. Some folks have questioned if this is really robust enough. And there have been questions about the seal between the auger and the base... Time will tell...

This is the second gen. OGO, I think. The big changes are a fluid level sensor that has a signal light. The forerunner had a visual slot to check the level of the liquid tank. I like this idea (sensor) as an overflow wouldn't be fun! I have no idea if these sensors are fool proof, yet. So I'll be wary until the sensor has a track record.
I'm not such a fan of sensors, but I'm with you, let's see how this one works over the long term...

I'm planning a 1 1/4" stack to run up behind my mast in the head of PVC, to connect a short length of the hose OGO includes. The only real work I have is grinding a glassing in the hole left by the thru hull (it came apart piece by piece!) and running a circuit to the OGO. I'm thinking I'll let the tiny fan run 24/7 as it's draw is so low.
I have two heads. I'm replacing both. The forward head has to be changed, it's an old style that only has direct discharge. To bring that head up to current standards, it would be a lot of work: find a place for a holding tank, run all the piping, plus deck discharge fittings, the whole thing. That one was a no brainer to just update to a composting head. My aft head is a modern electric head with full holding tank and all the correct installation. I've been dithering on what to do with this one, just leave it alone or change it out. Then I was doing some electrical work and realized that this entire installation takes up so much space, and the holding tank was installed such that it blocks access to my AC connection to shore power - the combo put me into destroy and remove....

Removing that entire installation will simply make my life easier. Couple that with the fact I have no way to pump out where my boat currently is located, and I'm just done with all the plumbing and holding tank situation... More storage space, better access to critical..systems.... I'll also be totally compliant with Coast Guard Regs for the Chesapeake Bay....

I'm hoping this head works a treat! This OGO looks beautiful, I must say, very aesthetically pleasing.

dj

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
"I've heard questions about the robustness of the connection between the bin auger and the motor. Some folks have questioned if this is really robust enough. And there have been questions about the seal between the auger and the base... Time will tell..."

I wondered that too so I took the connection apart: It's stone age. The hard plastic cog engages it's mate on the gear box.
OGO auger gear bushing removed.jpeg

As far as the seal, OGO has a raised hub that if there was a liquid problem (which means you're doing something wrong), it would have a hard time finding the bushing that would leak if submerged.

OGO solids bucket removed hub.jpeg

Plus all this stuff is under a 5 year warranty and is easily replaced. Electrical is 1 year. The motor and gearbox are protected by a thermal breaker (cools and resets).

OGO base cover removed motor.jpeg

Truth is, there is no long track record. I found one or two similar composters still under design but taking orders. I think most of this demand is being driven by the recent Van/Bus conversion and small house lifestyle that has taken off especially during the covid years.

I've joined a group of UK boating composters that has amazed me with the numbers over there, many in canal boats.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
so how do you get the liquids off the boat and where do they get dumped?

so how do you get the solids off the boat and where do they get dumped?

my 1975 mansfield vac u flush head works so well,, and has since new for sailing with a full crew, why would i want to change?

note: zero dumping allowed on the lakes. (even peeing over the side is ticket worthy). pump out stations everywhere.

what am i missing?

:stir: ? :cool:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
so how do you get the liquids off the boat and where do they get dumped?

so how do you get the solids off the boat and where do they get dumped?

my 1975 mansfield vac u flush head works so well,, and has since new for sailing with a full crew, why would i want to change?

note: zero dumping allowed on the lakes. (even peeing over the side is ticket worthy). pump out stations everywhere.

what am i missing?

:stir: ? :cool:
Nothing, Jon. I well remember my lake Champlain sailing years. You'd get written up for just having an overboard discharge near the head that wasn't connected (and no possible chance of connecting).

On the ocean, we end up sending most of our sewage into the ocean. It's legal in most of my area (outside of harbors) and everywhere offshore. Pump outs are usually miles away.

The holding tank is just another tank onboard like water, fuel, ice-provisions, batteries, that requires emptying, I don't want to have to move or set my schedule to finding a shoreside pump out and I'm done with discharging into the ocean.

This will give me more range to spend time in out-of-the-way places along the coast.

It's legal to dispose of the solids in a proper dumpster (like diapers only little plastic/paper), which we'll do when away from home. At home, I have a leaf compost pile I'll use that will actually compost the waste like the leaves. We'll empty the liquid tank onshore spreading out in trees.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
That sounds like an interesting toilet.
I've had a CHead on my boat for 5 years.
It does serve it's purpose but I ended up ventilating mine couple of years ago. Tried several different mediums in the solids tank just seems there's always a smell whenever you lift the access cover prior to use. At least with the AH or NH there's a trap door over the solid portion of the toilet which allows one to urinate without being exposed to the solid bin. Personally wish I had spent the extra $400.00 at that time & purchased the Natures Head.

I think in the long run you'll be very happy the chead warehouse didn't get back to you.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Tom, looks like a good addition and I bet you'll be pretty pleased with it. I saw the Ogo mentioned on another forum, though this is the first detailed look at it from a boat person's perspective that I've seen. I have 2 C-heads, one on our trailerable boat, and one in our off-grid cabin. I like their design a lot. I like the simplicity of it and the fact that it just works as intended. Sadly, I think their customer service is less than stellar these days, so I'm not surprised you didn't hear back. The Ogo is an interesting design, though I do like the simpler approach of the C-head. Keep us updated on how it works for you.

FWIW, we have found coconut coir to be the best medium for us. I get in 10 lb bricks and only use the minimal a mount of water to break it up. I fill 1 gal plastic bags with chunks of it and add a quarter cup or so of water to the bags. Leave it in the sun for a day and break it apart by hand. Breaking up coir is kind of therapeutic...kind of like splitting firewood :)

For us, the biggest plus is that it really frees you up when cruising. No longer tied to decisions based on where you will find the next pump out. Our larger boat in the Great Lakes has an electric head in it that works well, so I haven't had the desire to change it, but if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to put in another composter.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
, I have a leaf compost pile I'll use that will actually compost the waste like the leaves. We'll empty the liquid tank onshore spreading out in trees.
Tom, two words of caution. Solid waste from humans shouldn't go in a compost pile if it’s to be used in a vegetable garden. Meat eating animal waste contains some nasty microbes. Also I wouldn’t water the trees with the liquid waste. They’re not partial to uric acid. Good luck with your new system.