In need of Venture / Macgregor 25 Keel Replacement

Jul 24, 2017
Macgregor Venture 25 Trailer Launch Marina Del Ray
Any one have or know where i can get a v25 swinging keel replacement?
Original is completely rusted out at the pivot hole as shown in the photos. i jabbed at it with a screw driver to find all that is rusted out to consider a repair but it seems she got cancer a long time ago.. We just got the boat and found this out the hard way. haha
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nate

Attachments

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Wow Nate - that totally stinks! I hope you've had a very pointed conversation with the PO!

That being said, it looks like you're in LA, and there are 2 places in your area that might be able to hook you up. The 1st is California Boat Disposal at 2119 W. 17th Street in Long Beach (310-795-8978). The other is Minney's Yacht Surplus at 1500 Newport Blvd in Costa Mesa (949-548-4192). Both of these carry a lot of used Mac parts. Additionally, I don't know if the MacGregor factory is still running, but if there is still a customer service guy there, he was always an absolute treasure trove of information and solutions. (949) 642-6830 was the number I had for them. I bought my Mac25 new in 1985, but haven't needed to call about anything for several years, so not sure if this is good intel or not.

Best of luck to you, and let us know what you end up doing.

Ron

Jul 24, 2017
Wow Nate - that totally stinks! I hope you've had a very pointed conversation with the PO!

That being said, it looks like you're in LA, and there are 2 places in your area that might be able to hook you up. The 1st is California Boat Disposal at 2119 W. 17th Street in Long Beach (310-795-8978). The other is Minney's Yacht Surplus at 1500 Newport Blvd in Costa Mesa (949-548-4192). Both of these carry a lot of used Mac parts. Additionally, I don't know if the MacGregor factory is still running, but if there is still a customer service guy there, he was always an absolute treasure trove of information and solutions. (949) 642-6830 was the number I had for them. I bought my Mac25 new in 1985, but haven't needed to call about anything for several years, so not sure if this is good intel or not.

Best of luck to you, and let us know what you end up doing.

Ron
Hey Ron, I looked into the first choice seems i cannot find anything on them or that address. based on the phone number they are closed. I am familiar with Minney's, have yet to give them a call but i do know they charge a pretty penny for just about everything so thought i might see if anyone out there has one first. i suppose i will give them a ring tmrw and see if i can get lucky. ( i know the mac office is closed and he is retired, i have read about Catalina making stainless replacements but have not found much on that.)
Thanks and will do!
Nate

Jul 24, 2017
I have a extra keel from a 1981 Mac 25 but problem is I'm in Oklahoma!!
Well its a start, def a drive but maybe some spots along the way would make for a worthy trip. Will wait on others and see if we cannot come across something closer if not local. Thanks for letting me know!

Sep 22, 2017
Macgregor, Hunter 26S, 23 Wing Keel SF Bay
I have a Venture 24 that is beyond salvage due to a large tree falling on it last winter. Not sure if the Venture 24 keels are comparable to a Mac 25. My guess is 'yes' as cost containment and reusing proven tech was the key to Roger Macgregor's success. Anyway, I'm near Sacramento if you can determine it would be an acceptable replacement for your purpose.

Nov 17, 2018
MacGregor Venture 2-24 Rifle, CO
Apologies for resurrecting an old post but was in the same boat, pun intended.
I bought a MacGregor 25 a few years back and am in need of a new keel as well as a new mast! Thought I would start here.

Edit: A few things did not make sense and it turns out the boat is in fact a '72 Venture 2-24. Further research indicates the mast does not appear to be original either. From my limited knowledge judging by the spreaders and oval mast extrusion profile I'm guessing something off a similar size Catalina.

Having said that, anyone with leads on a replacement keel or mast for a '72 Venture feel free to message me.

Thanks,

~BG~

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018
MacGregor 19 Lake Isabella
I don't know if this might help. This guy shows a complete series of 7 youtubes on repair of the swing keel on his Catalina 22.

Catalina 22 Complete Swing Keel replacement EXCELLENT video series of step by step removal, repair, replacement of swing keel
Part 1 dropping the keel.
I have looking into a Mac26x vs Mac26m swing keel vs. dagger board. Does anyone have a feel for how often swing keels fail and must be repaired or replaced vs. the effectiveness of the dagger board.

Sep 22, 2017
Macgregor, Hunter 26S, 23 Wing Keel SF Bay
As my earlier response indicates, I have a keel deep inside a V24. The cabin and cockpit were crushed. I am about halfway between Stockton and Sacramento. It is labor intensive to remove that keel but make me an offer and I might make you an owner. I would like to see it and the trailer go down the road. You would need a large flat bed to accomplish that. I have clean titles to both boat and trailer. Trailer would need to be refurbished before returning to service. I also have the V24 mast, boom and standing rigging and that is negotiable too.

Nov 17, 2018
MacGregor Venture 2-24 Rifle, CO
Juan,

Thanks for posting, I recall seeing your post earlier but think I disregarded it because I didn't realize at the time, contrary to what my title states, I actually have a V 2-24.

How motivated are you to seeing it "go down the Road"? Do you want to cycle your inventory and free up some capital or are you in it for the long haul and hope to part out each component for maximum return?

I'll shoot you a pm,

~BG~

Jul 24, 2017
Just thought i would post back here. Ended up finding a keel from a mac 25 about 45 Minutes from me. Pain in the Arse to get installed but with a jig and a couple of floor jacks and a cable winch the 2 of us managed to get it into place. after sitting out the winter i'm getting on the finishing of this one for this summer.
Always remember to search craigslist as that is where i lucked out on the keel find. for $50 and a 2 hour drive i was happy as a goose

Lemont

May 27, 2020
Macgregor Venture 24 Dexter Lake Oregon
In need of mast and swing keel for 1970 Ventue 24, west coast (Oregon). Any suggestions? My trailer collapsed and dumped the boat in the highway!

Lemont

May 27, 2020
Macgregor Venture 24 Dexter Lake Oregon
I have a Venture 24 that is beyond salvage due to a large tree falling on it last winter. Not sure if the Venture 24 keels are comparable to a Mac 25. My guess is 'yes' as cost containment and reusing proven tech was the key to Roger Macgregor's success. Anyway, I'm near Sacramento if you can determine it would be an acceptable replacement for your purpose.
Still available? Need mast andswing keel for my Venture 24 after an accident on the way to the lake