In mast furling?

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 49 2 San Diego,Ca
I think this is something that has probably been covered but I’m having a little bit of trouble pulling my sail in (I get folds and creases)and just wondered how everyone has their set up normally as far as the vang the main sheet the outhaul etc.
also how far off the wind do you normally go.
I had some of the belly taken out of the sale because I think it was stretched a little bit also I need to replace my furling drum as the teeth on it are kind of worn and I already tightened up the furler unit inside the Mast… Any comments would be appreciated
Thanks
Scotty

Apr 16, 2019
Hunter 45CC Baltimore
If it is a Selden, I find that a slight starboard tack is best furling and unfurling. It winds counter clockwise and if you are at all on the port tack it can be difficult. Keep tension on the outhaul And the loose end (out) of the furling line. This is assumes the continuous loop furling line. Vang eased, topping lift tight if you have one.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I am in Point Richmond, CA and can help as I have owned Selden in-mast sails on a Hunter 386 and now 46 for many years with and without battens so PM me if you need some help. Best plan is to replace the furling mainsail with a crusing laminate. Recently replaced my Hunter 46 with tri-radial cruising laminate sails that furl really well and hold shape better.

Key to furling the miansail in is to have the correct boom angle adjusted by the topping lift, release the boom vang and mainsheet, furl on a slight starboard tack, keep tension on the outhaul while furling the mainsail into the mast with the continuous "furl in" line.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 49 2 San Diego,Ca
What inmast furler do you have?
It's the Selden, it works ok but I think it could work better, just trying to dial in the boom angle so it will furl in nice and straight?
I think tomorrow at the slip early morning I'll try a few different configurations..

Feb 21, 2013
Let me know if you need a second opinion or help as I am going down to my sailboat tomorrow AM and can stop by.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 49 2 San Diego,Ca
Let me know if you a second opinion or help as I am going down to my sailboat tomorrow AM and can stop by.
Hey thanks I'm actually in San Diego now I had a 31 in Sausalito, now a 49 in SD Send me your wind it's awesome up there lol

Feb 21, 2013
Never needed to tune my 2005 Hunte 46 Selden furling mast. It is a really good system and a new laminate mainsail helps......zero issues on the Hunter 46.

Sep 5, 2009
Hunter 45 CC Marina del Rey
had the same problem with a 5 yr old Doyle sail on my Hunter 45CC.
Sail was pouching out and folded over. Bought new Mack sail - no more problem.
Have Selden furling system, use 30-45 degree angle on port tack (just keep the sail full) and tension to prevent
folding over when furling in. Hope that helps! Best, Viktor

Apr 16, 2019
Hunter 45CC Baltimore
Starboard tack is what seems appropriate but if you have vertical battens with the pockets on the port side, a slight port tack (30 degrees or less) might be a better option. A sailmaker who looked at my setup suggested this and it is working well for me.
Related to this topic, I am interested to hear how people are managing furling the sail in. On my 45CC it requires tension not only on the outhaul but tension on the free side of the continuous furling line. It's a choreographed process with my wife and I. She maintains tension on the outhaul while at the helm. I wrap the furl in side on an electric winch, keep tension on the free side of the continuous loop, press the winch button, look up at the sail to make sure all is coming in correctly, look at the furling winch to make sure the line is not slipping on it. All while standing a couple of steps down the companionway steps so I can see the sail.
If you have the Selden system with continuous loop, how do you do it?

Feb 21, 2013
I have a Selden furling main sail mast on my Hunter 46. I furl the main sail in on a slight starboard tack with tension on the outhaul while winching IN the continuous FURL IN line by hand. If you continue to have difficulties furling the main sail in and out, replace it with a tri-radial cruising laminate sail WITHOUT partial battens and furling issues go away. Best decision I ever made.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Dec 15, 2019
Hunter 49 San Diego
We solved this problem with a new mainsail. We went with North. Modern material makes for a thinner cloth. furling is a cinch now. We're in SD. Check it out if you want.

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
We solved this problem with a new mainsail. We went with North.
Interesting! We bought our 41DS with a Selden in-mast furler in October 2021. The previous owner replaced the mainsail in July 2020 with a new one from North Sails but I don't know what prompted the change. Perhaps they had furling issues, too. The mainsail furls in and out with no problems now.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Feb 21, 2013
A baggy dacron cross cut dacron mainsail will be more difficult to furl in and out that a tri radial laminate mainsail in my experience. I found that true with heavy weight offshore build sails.