Ideas on boat color for new paint

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Since last fall I began working on restoring my 1974 Cal35C. We removed the mast in January and are just about through with the refit. (pics below). Now looking at the aged heavily oxidized white gel-coat. I see paint in my future. Question is what are your opinions - experiences with hull color. I'm in the Pacific NW so interior over heating in the tropics is not really an issue. So many boats are painted white. I'm thinking a Navy Blue with a gold pinstripe might be a nice idea. Possibly a red bottom paint as it preforms better in our waters than the dark colors.

What are the issues with a dark colored hull?

Going to keep the deck white. Will be painting the areas without non-skid. The non-skid is in good shape. The rest looks like it was attempted to prep but the PO overdid it and scratched through the white gel-coat.

Thank you for your insights.

My temporary motor boat. In need of new hull paint.
IMG_0330.JPG
Mast just about done, new wiring, self tailing winches, all new rigging
IMG_0415.JPG
Mast head with new Navigation/Anchor light, Spinnaker halyard/block, VHF/AIS antenna, and base for wind indicator.
IMG_0402.JPG
New location for radar. Opens up possibility for cutter rigging
IMG_0399.JPG
Old radar hole plugged
IMG_0400.JPG
New aluminum spreaders.
Original wood ones rotted. Do not know how the mast stayed upright.
IMG_0398.JPG

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I just watched a boat come by on the lift that had been painted flag (dark) blue and it had an awful case of laminate print-through. As Stu notes, my guess is that you can bring back your white hull for the price of a good buffer, some proper pads and Presta water-based compound and polish. Oh, yeah, and some sweat equity! Maybe some spot wet sanding. I have a dark blue gelcoat hull and get lots of compliments but frankly I would never have another. Too hot, oxidizes easily. I like the light gray/blue paint treatments that have become trendy and the slight contrast with a white deck is attractive. But spending upwards of $15,000 on an awlgrip / imron paint job seems like a lot for a 40yo boat. That would buy a lot of cool gear, plus some sails.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Dark hulls seems to show flaws more than white. Nicks, scratches, dimples, oxidation etc.

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 30 MkI 1983 TRBS Westbrook, CT
I agree that painting your hull is a LOT of work. We just finished our boot and cove stripes and it was very labor intensive.

Check the link that Stu provided, some great info there. 13151736_10209291830193176_6875608909386949734_n.jpg

As for paint we used Pettit EZ-poxy (due to color choices) and the roll and tip method. Prep is very important or the new paint will fall off in sheets.

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Saw a charter boat the was re-gel coated with a blue hull. Looked great. The owner said it was no more than a two part paint. Personally, I am partial to a blue hull, gold cove stripe and red bottom paint. Mainly because I owned one and she got a lot of complements. Of course, that was the day of do-it-yourself, wooden boats, enamel paint and thin pockets. Be sure to post whatever you decide and congratulations on owning a rare Cal 35 Cruising!

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Guess I missed the memo...
We have had dark green painted hull topsides on our last two. I don't think it gets much hotter than here in Florida and no problems or issues others have theorized with the hull. I can't dispute the argument dark hulls cause higher temp inside a boat but it's hard to differentiate between ours and our dock neighbor's white hull as both have our A/C on when it's warm outside.
The only thing about which we agree regarding hull color is some colored topsides look prettier.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Boats I've seen painted blue or red tend to fade within a few years. In one case I'm talking about a factory done warrantee paint job. Others done professionally. In my own experience I found that the professional paint job done by a boat yard with an well regarded and experienced man, scratched very easily. PM me if you want to know what product.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
If the issue is just heavy oxidation, as Stu said, see MaineSail's buff and wax advice.

If the gel coat is beyond restoration and painting really is required, just keep in mind two things: The success of any paint job is 90% prep work and dark paint over white gel coat will show every nick and scratch.

I agree that Navy with a gold cove stripe is a nice classic look. It looks great with either red or light green bottom paint. Especially with a white boot stripe.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Im buying a Hunter 30 and am thinking of the same paint scheme Im really amazed that more boats aren't painted a color other than white. White is boring. Im thinking something like the friendship 40 color scheme top side off white or cream, Dark blue almost black above the water line with the gold pin striping , white boot stripe and slick red bottom. as far as the dark paint and heat go I work at a auto dealer and have to get in cars that have been in the lot baking in the sun and to be honest with you I cant tell the difference in a white or silver car from a black or dark blue car as far as temperature goes there both damb hot after baking in the sun.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i painted mine a dark blue even knowing i was going to the gulf .....boat was black when i got.....i hate black on a boat .....but dark blue in my eyes is cool or even eggshell blue would be good too ...i used a white accent stripe up high and a white boot stripe with a dark green bottom paint ...i am in the process of getting green canvas some kind of tweed ...all because the sun cover on the genny is that color ....but when i think about it green and blue really go good together...my other choice would be some kind of wheat color for the canvas ...as far as dock rash goes ..it happened the second day in the water ....so be it ...now i can enjoy the boat without worrying about scratching it up...it was new 37 years ago...... and only need to look nice for the launch 7 months ago ...ya can't sail a boat in a bubble...so as was once said ...."Damn the torpedos full speed ahead" ...or something like that.....

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
i am in the process of getting green canvas some kind of tweed ...all because the sun cover on the genny is that color ....but when i think about it green and blue really go good together
Same here. I picked up a used genny in like new condition that has a green sun cover. Problem is, my main and pedestal covers are yellow. I am debating on the color of my new bimini. The green/yellow goes great together......but I am not a Green Bay Packer fan ;) I think using 2 colors is a great idea. It sure beats the all "Pacific Blue" theme.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Take it from a guy who has painted the entire exterior of his boat with Interlux Brightsides... although I like the color and the results are very nice, it was a ton of work and if I could do it over again I would probably try restoring the gelcoat before painting. My justification for paint was that I had enough minor damage to gelcoat (nicks, scratches, and crazing) to justify the paint over repairing the gelcoat. I didn't even think to use Spectrum Gelpaste to repair the gelcoat damage, a very forgiving thickened gelcoat repair paste I have used in the past. You would also be surprised at how thick gelcoat really is and it can tolerate a good bit of wet sanding at 400, then 600, and then compound buffing. I still would have used the Kiwi Grip over my damaged Non-skid, but I would have saved lots of time and heartache had I tried restoring the gelcoat, and probably about $800 in paint and consumable supplies. Here is what my boat looks like and I'm still not finished, the white on the cabin, deck and cockpit still needs its second coat. Its not perfect, unless you spray there will still be runs, sags, or brush lines.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Warning: thread drift: have you noticed the race boat trend to metallics? Some of the silver metallic hulls are striking with the carbon rig and deck gear. Here's one example (NOT suggesting for a C36C!):

Oct 22, 2014
When I raised the genoa I got a Navy Blue sun cover for the furled sail. I bought a Navy Blue sail cover for the main from Lee Sails on SBO site. So Navy Blue is in high consideration. This has been a project boat from the start. The mast restoration has dented the cruising budget but will give the boat a sailing future.

The "Clean Water Marina" program makes DYI sanding activities difficult (and I am not really clear on all of the limits) when it comes to sanding, polishing, cleaning of the hull. My current (evolving) plan is to look at next winter to attack the boats looks, unless of course something changes.

Thank you all for the in sight. Sorry Rick. The Silver BOSS 99 will not be challenged by the S/V Hadley at this time.
Thanks for the picture Cloud Diver. Without an indoor paint room and expensive tools/equipment "runs, sags, and brush lines" are inevitable.

I have read Maine Sail's tips and this is likely the first attempt I will follow on the topside. My diver says he thinks the bottom paint will get me by this season.

The deck as you can see in the image below has received some attention by the previous owner.

This is an image of the port side deck. In the foreground is one of the chain plate holes. Plugged with non-staining plumbers putty till the chain plates cane be prepped and installed. The non skid is a baby blue paint. The smooth looking stripe in the upper third of the image should be white gel coat side of the cabin. It is oxidized and the PO buffed/compounded/ or sanded through the gel coat till the light blue color of the fiberglass is starting to be exposed.
IMG_0336.JPG

This smooth deck is what I am thinking to paint white. A smooth hard two part epoxy paint is what I think would work. I hope I will be able to do this in the marina on a couple of good weather days. It would need to be done in sections. Prep the area, tape off all the non painted section. Paint and then clean up.

Suggestions?

Oct 22, 2014
PG
That is a really good Photo Shop image.
I hope. Or I'm having a 70's flash back...

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
You know, I would tend to think along the lines of a single-part polyurethane, rolled or brushed, and tipped, doing small sections at a time; sanding and prepping over small areas. Small bites; you can fly under the radar. Less critical areas to start. I think you can get a formulation for non-skid too (outside of California). She can't help but look far nicer with your effort and you won't be a slave to it. Good luck whatever you decide and nice job bring a nice boat back. Enjoy her!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I believe I would do that deck with either Brightsides, or EasyPoxy. Both are single-part polyurethanes. Have not used the Pettit product but the Interlux Brightsides is a really nice working paint that doesn't require any special skill, levels nicely to a good hard shine.

Oct 22, 2014
Thank you Rick, as so many - it has been a crazy story getting here.

So tell me about the single part polyurethane's. Hard enough for non walking deck surfaces? How do they go on? What are the drying times? I was looking at the 2 part epoxy because of what I thought to be a hard surface paint that would give me a longer usable life. Perhaps this is misguided, or the process would be too complex and better to look at shorter life and easier process.