I can't look away

capejt

May 17, 2004
Hunter 33_77-83 New London, CT
I suddenly have a hankerin' for candy canes and fruit stripe gum

Nov 16, 2011
Hunter 1983 Hunter 34 South Pender Island
The candy cane, I recognize. I hadn't furled my jib tightly enough prior to a wind storm. Mid storm, I went to the marina to check on the boat. The wind had developed a pocket in the upper region of the jib sail and was beating the snot out of the outer edge, the blue UV strip. The main halyard was used to wind around that area as best as possible to cinch in the pocket. Unfurling and refurling was out of the question as the wide were at their max. Sometime, after the storm had subsided, I took the jib in for repairs. As it was a 14 foot strip on the outer edge of the jib and we're sailing on a shoe string budget, the suggestion was made that, rather than replace the whole UV strip, a 2 inch outer strip be added on the outer edge. White was all they had! When my jib is furled, I'm easily spotted. I've always liked to stand out from the crowd!

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 400 Muskegon, Michigan
Give the guy a break!!!

Why are we so timid about telling someone about a simple mistake? Maybe those among you who have never made a mistake yourself can't understand this concept, but us mortals would appreciate some friendly advice when someone else notices a mistake we have made, especially when he may damage his brand new jib if he has to find a solution in stronger winds. Just tell the guy! He'll probably be happy for the advice, if not it's his problem not yours. I was once watching a dock neighbor change his port and starboard running light lenses. For some reason the manufacturer made both lenses exactly the same, without any indexing key to mandate which lens went where. He already had one of the lenses installed when I noticed that he had the green lens on the port side. I guess I could have allowed him to complete the job and walked away laughing under my breath, but I didn't. He knew better, he just made a "mistake" and was happy that I noticed it and that he didn't continue to install them backwards.

Apr 12, 2015
fugi 35 ore
We all had to start somewhere. I'd only hope a brother sailor would quietly take me aside and gently point out where I went wrong.
That's just it,we all need someone to point out thing's that we are not sure about,i like you answer

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Another solution to the knowledgeable and practical ones already made. With the sail furled as originally pictured, send someone up the mast with say 1/2 gallon of flat navy blue latex paint. Repelling down the forestay, paint all white areas. The jib will now be UV protected irrespective of rolling up either clockwise or counter-clockwise. Since the jib won't furl up exactly the same each time, several further touch-ups to cover the holidays will be needed.

A number of years ago I did in fact paint my UV protection area for a modified look. In the below pic.

Attachments

Feb 19, 2015
hunter 212 tampa
Is it worth it?

Couple months ago this boat got a new jib, everyone else just walks by and doesn't seem to notice anything, I just keep staring at it.
Looking at the extended auto-roller furling does it give extra sail? If so, does it make that much difference in the short hauls?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Doug: You are correct, it's a mid 2000's Hunter (06?), maybe a 33 or34 I looked at the HIN once but my memory fails me.
Regarding the concern of damage to the sail, Wednesday and Thursday there were winds over 20 kts. and it wasn't flogging at all. The clew is really stiff, almost like there's a board, similar to a headboard on a main. I'd need to take a closer look but it sure doesn't want to bend at all.
Just to be clear, in 4 years I've only seen the owner half a dozen times. On those occasions, he gets on the boat, starts the motor, and backs out. Same routine coming back, he's not ever been there long enough for me to say more than hello, and he only responds to that half the time.
He's a yacht club member, I've seen the boat out flying an asymmetrical spin in the days before it had a jib, so I don't think he's a beginner.

capejt

May 17, 2004
Hunter 33_77-83 New London, CT
I wonder how the owner would react if someone discretely climbed aboard in the middle of the night and fixed it. heheh

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Maybe his first roller furled jib?

Grab two beers, stroll over, hand him one, start a conversation and report back when the mystery is solved !

Full disclosure: I'm Irish. The solution to every problem involves beer.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
what the heck is all the fuss about anyway the sun covers only work when the sun is shining:stirthepot::laugh:

Mar 5, 2012
Hunter 37-cutter Saint Augustine
Couple months ago this boat got a new jib, everyone else just walks by and doesn't seem to notice anything, I just keep staring at it.
Hello Ted, my lines are on the starboard side to like that on seems like the maker either put it on the wrong side. but would be nice to meet your fellow sailor and say hello. and start talking and see if he is receptive. we all had to learn from somebody. if I did something like that I would hope that they showed me. looks like the easy fix is roll it to the other side. no big deal. but the candy stripe looks cool man !!!!!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Can't believe that no one has mentioned this: In the northern hemisphere, it is customary to furl your sail clockwise.... whereas in the southern hemisphere counter-clockwise is the norm. Geez... it's so simple.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I have no problem asking the skipper why he/she does what he/she does. They ask me...my biggest preach is anchor swivels directly pinned to the anchor. And nobody changes it!