I can't look away

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
I blame the sail maker. He put the UV cover on the wrong side!:eek::D:D
We had a new volunteer at a Habitat for Humanity build I was on that kept reaching in his tool pouch and throwing half the nails away. He said the heads were on the wrong end. We had to explain to him those nails were for the other side of the house. :D

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Great fun posts about this.

If this was my dock neighbor, even if I didn't know them, I'd simply write a short note on an index card and slip it into a plastic baggy, explaining how to help.

Or, just print out this thread and stick it into a baggy.

Geez, why not help????

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I think I might be the friend who asked about it. It's right next to Ted's boat, across from mine (pic I just took).

The owner could furl it from the port side of the drum, and still have the line run down the starboard.

Maybe we should do it for him. Then you can look away. :).

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
1 The owner could furl it from the port side of the drum, and still have the line run down the starboard.

2 Maybe we should do it for him.
1 Of course.

2 Except for clanging halyards, I wouldn't go on someone else's boat unless invited, especially for something this easy for us but seemingly beyond that skipper.

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
On second thought you may point out to him that he will get more out of his money if he uses all the protective cover rather than just part of it by rolling it the other direction
Second. But blame it on the sailmaker and say it was an honest mistake and is easily resolved by rolling it the other direction. Of course he may call the sailmaker but odds are he will tell him to go jump in a lake.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
1 Of course. 2 Except for clanging halyards, I wouldn't go on someone else's boat unless invited, especially for something this easy for us but seemingly beyond that skipper.
Agreed.
The smiley was to indicate a humorous tone.

I've only gone aboard 3 boats. 2 to save flogging jibs in high winds, and one to start the bilge pump on a sinking power boat. --actually Ted did that one. I sat on the gunwale and supervised.

Feb 26, 2004
Second. But blame it on the sailmaker and say it was an honest mistake and is easily resolved by rolling it the other direction. Of course he may call the sailmaker but odds are he will tell him to go jump in a lake.
Why do you think it's the sailmaker's fault?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
There was no jib on the furler for a long time prior to this, my best guess is his kids or grankids put it on for him without supervision. You know, Happy Bday, We put your new sail on for you "Surprise!!"
I'd certainly volunteer to assist but rarely see the owner.
Skipper did wake me up so I could trespass and start the pumps on our dockmates sinking Luhrs that morning. But I carried a "get out of jail free" card in my wallet back then so I wasn't hesitant to board.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The sailmaker just sew the cover on the wrong side. Seem like there may have been a communication error on the order and know the party responsible for the mistake is sporting a rather dashing furled jib.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I'm still going with the owner is trying to protect his brand new sun cover. Dang I loved that response.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
The owner just prefers to pull the furling line instead of the sheet to deploy his jib. It's as simple as that!

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Maybe he's a retired barber. This jib will remind him of good old days?

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
It doesn't matter which side of the boat the furling line runs down. What matters is which side of the drum the line is on.

From Harken:

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
He will figure it out after his first jib deployment.

"Now how do I furl the ###!!! jib!"

Dec 13, 2010
Hake 32RK Red Bank
Someone needs to explain how it works. Obviously the furling line is wound around the drum so I would guess someone rolled this up by hand not with the furling lind and they rolled it up the wrong wsy round. Also left some jib out which in a blow might become a problem!

Jul 4, 2011
Cal 33 ft. MKII Clayton, N.Y. St. Lawrence Rvr
I can only say, wait for it......."to furl or unfurl....that is the question" tis nobler a thing to do etc. etc. .

Oct 13, 2013
Wayfarer Mark I GRP Chicago
Just saw this weeks poll, just had a great chuckle. I hope more than a few people choose option 3.