I can't look away

Jan 26, 2015
Oday 322 Atwood Lake Yatch Club
Turn the windings around

Couple months ago this boat got a new jib, everyone else just walks by and doesn't seem to notice anything, I just keep staring at it.
You need to cause the windings to go in the opposite direction on the furling spindle. I.e. if it's not going counterclockwise change it to clockwise.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
As mentioned earlier, a real friend will let you know when your fly's unzipped.

Hang the consequences.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
a real friend will let you know when your fly's unzipped
But if you meet a stranger with his pants on backwards and unzipped is it still polite to point out the obvious to the oblivious ? (sorry, couldn't resist)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Good one!

Not so much oblivious as absent. :)

In addition to my earlier idea, there's no reason to not jot a note down and ask the harbormaster to send it to him. Like, print out this thread...???

Hmm, maybe not...:)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Maybe there's a white sun panel and the green stripe is for looks? And he wants it that way? When I made my sun panels, I used three different shades of green, just to be different..

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Y'all, there is a boat for sale on this site with the very same issue! I started to write to the seller but couldn't do it. Please. Someone take care of this. I can privately send the link to you but I can't bring myself to posting it here. I'm serious.

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
For some reason the manufacturer made both lenses exactly the same, without any indexing key to mandate which lens went where. He already had one of the lenses installed when I noticed that he had the green lens on the port side. I guess I could have allowed him to complete the job and walked away laughing under my breath, but I didn't. He knew better, he just made a "mistake" and was happy that I noticed it and that he didn't continue to install them backwards.
Im sure he appreciated it. But it didn't need an indexing key, the color should have been index enough. But yes, we have all made bonehead mistakes and often it's nice when someone helps us see them, provided of course it's done in a tactful way. Especially when it will save us a lot of work or money or danger before we learn it for ourselves.

I have to do things for myself out of necessity, because I can't afford to pay others in many cases so I make a lot of mistakes, some of which come from pure ignorance, others because I just assumed and others because I rushed it or had other things on my mind.

There is a true statement, without implying negativity which says there are really 2 ways to do something.... The right way, or again.

Apr 12, 2015
fugi 35 ore
This is out thier,but i have a old westerbeke w/30, and i can't find a cam follower for it,i have one that is broken

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I would like to know if there is a white dacron strip sewn on as the UV cover strip. (My 135 has white dacron as the UV cover but no colored edging) The blue could just be edging for attaching the raw cut on the 1' dacron overlay. If this is so; which side has the presumed, white UV overlay sewn on? Its possible the only error here is the wrapped drum?
Chief

Jan 22, 2008
Ron it's a tappet that's broken,and i can't find another one
It does not make any difference. I see you are a new member. To change the thread subject is to "hijack" (change the subject from) the original post. Under ask all sailors there is a forum of "Parts Search" made just for what you need. The is also a "wanted" listing under "classified ads" Gear ads" "wanted".. That's the way this site works.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Ron: What do you think? Maybe Cal Ted can see if that sail has white dacron as UV layer and if it is on backwards or not? Chief

Jan 22, 2008
Ron: What do you think? Maybe Cal Ted can see if that sail has white dacron as UV layer and if it is on backwards or not? Chief
Like many threads, the replies are full of speculation until we get the absolute facts about the subject. Must be a slow news week in CA. It should not be all that hard for Ted to mosey over and look at the sail up close.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
On first glance I thought it might be Dacron also Chief, but it's a sunbrella sunband rolled inside.
Circumstances have me 90 miles from the boat the past week, soon as I get back I'll post any updates.

Sep 27, 2014
Montgomery 17 driveway
I thought buying a roller furller would be easy. Gulp! Now which side do I mount the anchor on if I want the roller fueller on the backstay??? How DO you spell furler anyway??

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
I thought buying a roller furller would be easy. Gulp! Now which side do I mount the anchor on if I want the roller fueller on the backstay??? How DO you spell furler anyway??
Spell it "furler" and it replaces/uses headstay. I've never seen one on a backstay, perhaps a new way to mount/deploy an anchor sail :) You can route furling line to either side.
Here is a CDI YouTube video showing how to install.

Another thread jack?

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
You should do the right thing and let him know. He should be thankful and it would be good Karma. If he responds like an idiot then he wasn't worth knowing in the first place and your good deed would still be done.

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina C-320 Washington, NC
Some of these comments suggest a clarification is in order. As a general rule, i don't believe that there is a "proper" side for the sacrificial cover or for running the furling line. If you wind the line clockwise on the drum, it wraps the sail counterclock wise and vice versa. It may matter on a particular boat due to the placement of other deck hardware as described in couple of these posts ind if so t5hat should be discussed with the sailmaker. simply winding the line the wrong way will produce the results in the picture...no need to ask me how I know this lesson well learned.