I can't look away

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
Some of these comments suggest a clarification is in order. As a general rule, i don't believe that there is a "proper" side for the sacrificial cover or for running the furling line. If you wind the line clockwise on the drum, it wraps the sail counterclock wise and vice versa. It may matter on a particular boat due to the placement of other deck hardware as described in couple of these posts ind if so t5hat should be discussed with the sailmaker. simply winding the line the wrong way will produce the results in the picture...no need to ask me how I know this lesson well learned.
The picture is more than winding the wrong way, if you zoom the furler drum it appears to be full, when furled the drum should be near empty, as pulling on the furler line winds IN the sail as the fuler line winds OUT. In the picture it seams that pulling on the furler line will UNWIND the sail, which is normally done by pulling on one of the jib sheets.

Sep 27, 2014
Montgomery 17 driveway
Thank you Sea Casper and Chris Burti for the info. Now back to my original serene state of mind.