I am in deep trouble! Mayday!

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
OK But what design specs?

John, unfortunately text on forums has no tone so please understand that I am NOT trying to be a smartass here; but to what specs are you referring?

The number of layers of glass in the keel stub and directly aft? Are you referring to the resin to glass ratio in these areas? Deflection under load?

This doesn't look like a catastrophic hit. The person doing the repairs will likely find some cracks and possibly some delamination aft of the keel. The compressed front nut may be from the hit or it may have simply been over-torqued at some point in the boat's life. Some exploratory grinding will determine the extent of the damage and necessary repairs. None of us can fully diagnose the necessary repairs from photos on the Net.

Those repairs should be in line with bringing a lightweight coastal cruiser back into safe operating condition and it really is a judgement call on the part of the person doing the repair. There isn't a "spec" for this and there may not be a single "right" way to do it. In fact there's usually more than one way to fix things. :biggrin:

Jim
Ther have been allot of suggestions to cut corners and get it floating. To have fun till it craps out. I simply mean, don't cut corners.

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Ther have been allot of suggestions to cut corners and get it floating. To have fun till it craps out. I simply mean, don't cut corners.
On that we definitely agree !

God knows I've seen some scary things done to boats...

Sep 24, 2013
looking looking Corpus Christi
Unfortunately this type of issue, "have fun until it craps out" would probably mean the keel fell off, the boat flipped and probably killed someone on the way over...

Keels coming off in use has killed people before, so why not this one?

May 20, 2016
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
I carry Full Coverage with a 500 deductible and I am Glad I have it the cost of repairing even the Smallest thing can run into the Thousands I hit the dock once coming in to fast because the current was so fast I bent the Bow Pulpit an inch of Stainless Steel and bent it when I got the Estimate it was for nearly 8000 I about fell over with a Thought of no having no Insurance I was Glad I did ALWAYS Have Full Coverage if you OWN a Nice Boat ALWAYS