Hurth HBW50 replacement

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Nice looking boat. Beautiful lake! You are this close to some really good times with the family. >||<

Plus you have one helluva sea story about salvaging that wreck!

Apr 26, 2018
Catalina Catalina 30 Bayview
The manufacturer call for Dextron 2 or 3 synthetic. I use Amsoil for everything and their ATF for heavy use is Dextron 4 and covers all lesser levels. I think that all gearboxes run somewhat hot, but if able to keep the hand on the box that is the standard of too hot versus not.

Went out today with the boys and my wife, it was a soft easy day with light breeze. Perfect for the boys first sail. on way into dock started getting fuel starvation dying..... OMG, off I go back into the bilge, fuel/water separator filter change and air blled I hope will fix it. I hope I did not tear any fuel lines when lifting motor.

Apr 26, 2018
As a pertinent update: I bled the fuel, but it was running rough and died. When I checked the fuel there was water in the oil. When lifting the engine, if the engine stops with exhaust valve in open position, the residual water from the water lift muffler can back flow into oil pan. Changed twice. Seems ok until I left the dipstick not fully seated and broke it off in oil pan. Likely will have to drop oil pan and do it all again. Change oil after any engine lift is take home message.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
As a pertinent update: I bled the fuel, but it was running rough and died. When I checked the fuel there was water in the oil. When lifting the engine, if the engine stops with exhaust valve in open position, the residual water from the water lift muffler can back flow into oil pan. Changed twice. Seems ok until I left the dipstick not fully seated and broke it off in oil pan. Likely will have to drop oil pan and do it all again. Change oil after any engine lift is take home message.

What is the long term report......

paulj

Apr 26, 2018
Dear Paul, I didn't realize that I never updated the thread. The engine oil changes went fine, the dipstick is still in the bottom of the pan and the old Kubota has about 15 hours and is running like a finely tuned Swiss watch. I replaced the raw water cooling pump and found a chunk of rubber from old impeller in there. There is much more water coming out of the back of the engine now. No overheating issues ever. It makes me more amazed and trustworthy of the thing after I found that. I replaced the glow plugs and now she fires on the first turn of the key!! The boat sails well, the bilge is dry after 10 years of being wet due to a leaking thru hull fitting, that is now resolved. I just put 3 coats of Cetol on the woodwork and she is looking much more loved. She has been cleaned and rubbed all the oxidized gel coat with the help of my 3 swabbies. The transmission is running great, the owner is much amazed at how well I can maneuver her in/out of slip and confined spaces. I love being able to bring her into to almost any dock with grace. It sure helps to have an operational transmission. My favorite find has been the auto/tiller pilot. My kids named it John, that is really nice. This winter I plan to re do the engine panel as it is wood and not doing so well. Many people at the marina have noticed how much she has improved with love and care.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
What a great report! Good to hear you've overcome the issues and are doing well with the boat.