Hunter 42 Passage Rudder removal

May 23, 2013
Hunter H42 Passage East Chicago and Hammond
Has anyone had to remove or drop their rudder on a Hunter 42 passage? I just had my bottom blasted and was sanding and noticed water dripping from mine and have delamination on one side :(
Hoping to get thru this year on Lake Michigan before deciding whether to either replace for the $4500 on here or try and repair. Has anyone repaired their rudder either?
Mike

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Has anyone had to remove or drop their rudder on a Hunter 42 passage? I just had my bottom blasted and was sanding and noticed water dripping from mine and have delamination on one side :(
Hoping to get thru this year on Lake Michigan before deciding whether to either replace for the $4500 on here or try and repair. Has anyone repaired their rudder either?
Mike
Sorry Mike, but nothing to offer here. Our 1991 rudder and post bushings remain solid. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

mbaker

Jun 11, 2013
hunter passage 42 Stony Pt., NY
Dropped my rudder 2 weeks ago. Water infiltration and delamination. Sent to Foss Foam in Florida for complete rebuild using my existing post. They replace old steel plates with new stainless frames then molded around the rebuilt structure. Was shipped today so should have it back in a couple of days.

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
mbaker, what's the cost in comparison to buying a new rudder from Foss on the Hunter Owners website.

mbaker

Jun 11, 2013
I paid approx. $2800 +shipping for the rebuild. Insurance is pending to pick up a portion. Was quoted 4 weeks but only took 3.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Dropped my rudder 2 weeks ago. Water infiltration and delamination. Sent to Foss Foam in Florida for complete rebuild using my existing post. They replace old steel plates with new stainless frames then molded around the rebuilt structure. Was shipped today so should have it back in a couple of days.
Not sure what the status of my rudder is but I will be hauling the boat during the hot summer months for a bottom paint. I can't seem to find Foss Foam in google or google maps. Can you pm me address and/or phone number for them in case I need a rebuild? If I need a new one I'll order it from SBO but if it can be rebuilt (if I need it) then this looks like a good option. A couple of years ago when I had the boat hauled I seem to remember some water leaking from the bottom but there did not appear to be any delamination. Just lining up for the haul. Thanks

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 42 Meaford
Just curious if everyone painted there rudders white like the manufacturer recommends.

May 23, 2013
Thanks all! I think we will wait until the end of season (cross fingers that it doesn't come apart during the summer) and drop the rudder when getting pulled out for the winter. MBaker-how hard was it to drop it? Any thing I need to watch for?
I am getting a quote for a new one from Foss-Thank you for that information.
On a positive note-pretty much everything on my boat will be new in just a few short years LOL

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
[QUOTE="smokey73, post: 1530797, member: 100409" If I need a new one I'll order it from SBO but if it can be rebuilt (if I need it) then this looks like a good option. [/QUOTE]
be sure you look hard at a new one to find what other changes are going to be needed to make it fit.

May 23, 2013
Wow, was just contacted by Bob at Foss, Nice guy. I am planning on sending him my rudder at the end of the season and have him rebuild. He told me a lot of the rudders have Carbon Steel (RUST) fingers attached to the stainless post UGH. He is going to weld on new stainless instead of the carbon steel which gives me the confidence of a better than OEM repair.

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
Just curious if everyone painted there rudders white like the manufacturer recommends.
Mine was white when the boat was commissioned. I have kept it that way. For the record, many others are painted the same color as the hull, usually blue, without issues here in the Toronto area. My hull paint is black.

Sep 30, 2017
Hunter 34 Gunpower Neck - Aberdeen, MD
we dropped the rudder on our H34 over the 2017-18 winter break. we winter on the hard in the yard, so had to dig a hole below the rudder in order to drop it. recommend dropping it slowly and in a controlled fashion using an old halyard, sheet, or other line through a block or winch. take lots of pictures down below of the "before" state, and mark the rudder for attachment location and alignment of the tiller arm. we have a Raymarine autopilot with separate tiller arm so had to mark that as well. it's a good time to lubricate the bushings too before reinstalling it. We took ours to a local repair shop in Annapolis. It wasn't complete rebuild, more of an inspection and delamination repair. The confirmed the shaft and rest of foam was in decent shape.

Attachments

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 42 Meaford
Dark paint creates too much heat causing interior destruction when on the hard.

mbaker

Jun 11, 2013
My rudder has been returned from Foss Foam, extremely pleased with the results.When I pulled it there did not seem to be any type of lubricant on the shaft. I'm thinking Id like to use something when I reinstalled. Any thoughts?