Hunter 41DS asymmetrical spinnaker sheet leads

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
Hi All,
I am thinking about getting an asymmetrical chute - actually one of the Doyle 'Utility Power Sails'.

It is pretty obvious with the attachment at the bow, and the mast has a string where the halyard would go and am empty clutch - but I am a bit unsure on the sheet leads.

The arch has these loops on each side that seem
IMG_0683.JPG
IMG_0687.JPG
sturdy and would lead fairly.
See attached pic.

Seems like possibly they were made exactly for this but I am curious how the setup is for those of you that have a spinnaker have the sheets led and if it was setup professionally or if you did it yourself.

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
My gennaker sheets are led back to a block that I clip onto these loops. The sheets run outside of everything. I did this myself but I did get confirmation that the loos on the back of the arch were for the gennaker sheets. My boat is a little smaller but the principal is the same.

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
Yes, I think you are right for the attachment - some googling showed that others are using those loops off the arch. Seems that is exactly what they are there for.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
MFD do not buy Doyle UPS. Buy a real, socked, Asym chute. As far as the block mount is concerned that is the correct location. I tack mine to the furthest hole on the anchor roller assembly but am working on making a better mounting point just forward of the anchor it's self. I'll post that when it happens.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
NO WAY I would trust those little braised-on loops on the pulpit to handle the loads of a spinnaker on a 40 foot boat. No way. Way too small, and non-articulating.

That's the builder cheaping out, and not putting proper Winchard D-rings on the deck. With a BIG ratcheting block. That's the proper setup from the builder.

A better setup that does not involve drilling the deck would be to use a block attached to the cleat with a dyneema soft shackle. Like this.

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
NO WAY I would trust those little braised-on loops on the pulpit to handle the loads of a spinnaker on a 40 foot boat. No way. Way too small, and non-articulating.

That's the builder cheaping out, and not putting proper Winchard D-rings on the deck. With a BIG ratcheting block. That's the proper setup from the builder.

A better setup that does not in love drilling the deck would be to use a block attached to the cleat with a dyneema soft shackle. Like this.

That's what I meant to say.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
MFD do not buy Doyle UPS. Buy a real, socked, Asym chute.
A UPS is not an asym chute. They have different purposes and are not interchangeable. Talk to your sailmaker to determine which is right for your intended use.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I'm not sure what you guys think your looking at but that is 2" traveler arch tubing and those weled rings are roughly 1/4 in of stainless. It's all welded not braised. Last time I checked my cleats don't articulate either. They were welded there just to take spinnaker blocks. They work like a dream. I fly my 1192 square foot asym from sheets led back to Harken blocks attached to those rings, NO PROBLEMS.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Jackdaw has the close idea, but there is so little distance from either the cleat or that small loop. I suggest using Jackdaw's block and Dyneema line, put the line around that vertical pushpit piece, above that loop, and use that loop to keep the block up in the air. You could also unbolt the base off the deck and put a large SS round ring to attach to, then rebolt. Lash the ring to the vertcal pole, above the little loop.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
That winch looks VERY close, can the handle even turn? Maybe it's an optical illusion in that picture.

Clearly in any install you need a fair and clear run from wherever the block is to the winch.

Is that little loop strong enough? Pulled on straight under moderate load; well hell maybe. But I know the load our spinnaker comes under, any boat can load one up. When stuff breaks it breaks as the worst time.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
It's a lack of depth perception in the picture. I use 10" winch handles with no clearance problems on that winch. It's very strong actually and by the time you add a shackle and the block it's at a perfect angle to the winch bottom so as to wrap properly. I'm more leary about the anchor roller as the tack point. That's a 46 winch, not huge but not small either if that helps with size.

Mar 31, 2011
Leopard 44 Pasadena, MD
Hi All,
I am thinking about getting an asymmetrical chute - actually one of the Doyle 'Utility Power Sails'.

It is pretty obvious with the attachment at the bow, and the mast has a string where the halyard would go and am empty clutch - but I am a bit unsure on the sheet leads.

The arch has these loops on each side that seem View attachment 125024 View attachment 125025 sturdy and would lead fairly.
See attached pic.

Seems like possibly they were made exactly for this but I am curious how the setup is for those of you that have a spinnaker have the sheets led and if it was setup professionally or if you did it yourself.
Thanks for posting, I had the exact same question about the spinnaker sheet attachment points for my Hunter 41DS.

I'm getting ready to buy a used asymmetrical spinnaker from a neighbor for $400. It appears to be in really good shape with only two small repair in the read panel from a hungry mouse and the sock needs a small repair.

I'm not sure it's a perfect match as I think the dimensions are off a little.. I think the Foot is a bit large at 29' 7" and the Luff 45' 9" and Leech 42' 7" are a bit small.
The "I" and "J" dimensions according to the manual are I =51' 6", J = 13' 0". So my understanding is an ideal Foot should be 23' to 26' and Leech 49' to 51' , so I'm told. I thinking for $400 it's worth a try.

Attachments

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Luff = 52.99, Leech = 49.51, Foot =29, Area = 1192.76 on a 41AC. I usually fly it solo as it's more sail area than my jib and main combined.

Attachments

Mar 31, 2011
Leopard 44 Pasadena, MD
Luff = 52.99, Leech = 49.51, Foot =29, Area = 1192.76 on a 41AC. I usually fly it solo as it's more sail area than my jib and main combined.
How do you attach the Tack line? Do you somehow route it back to the cockpit to the starboard winch and if so how. I have the higher deck salon and don't want it to rub on my gelcoat . Or do you cleat it off on deck limiting adjustments?

Thanks

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I use a 15' piece of line tied to the tack, run through a D ring on the most forward hole in the anchor roller center rib and tied off to a bow cleat. It's adjustable but not under a large load unless your Hercules. I am designing an A frame style sprite to put the tack further forward in front of the anchor and then will work on a dedicated tack line run to the cockpit. That will be fully adjustable. You could slack a jib sheet, tie the tack line to that and control it from the cockpit. It. Would be a reasonable cheat.

Mar 31, 2011
Leopard 44 Pasadena, MD
I use a 15' piece of line tied to the tack, run through a D ring on the most forward hole in the anchor roller center rib and tied off to a bow cleat. It's adjustable but not under a large load unless your Hercules. I am designing an A frame style sprite to put the tack further forward in front of the anchor and then will work on a dedicated tack line run to the cockpit. That will be fully adjustable. You could slack a jib sheet, tie the tack line to that and control it from the cockpit. It. Would be a reasonable cheat.
Thanks for the reply,
I did use a piece of line and tied it to the bow cleat. As you said, it's adjustable under lite load, so no Hercules here.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Somewhat like post 17, I used a shackle on a blcok to turn the tack line aft.