Hunter 356 stanchion

vibes

Oct 3, 2023
hunter 356 marina del rey
Hello I have searched older post but can not find an answer to my problem.
I have a leak that is either a rubrail issue or the port stanchion gate. I went to remove the stanchion and I have one screw that is spinning. I can see down the other hole, I don’t see or feel an aluminum backing plate. My question, is there a way to remove the head liner to replace the backing plate?

Attachments

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
You can certainly remove the headliner, but you can't really replace the backing plate since it is embedded in the fiberglass. Then again, if that particular stanchion was not installed using the embedded plate, then yes, you should be able to access the backing plate through the headliner. But as an alternative, you might consider simply re-tapping the embedded plate and going up a size with your bolt.

Regardless, the headliner is really comprised of two parts: The "whisper soft" fabric ceiling headliner; and the molded plastic sidewalls. If you need access behind the sidewalls, you have to first pull down some of the ceiling in order to get access to a whisper soft track which is mounted through the sidewall. I've been collecting posts on headliner removal for the day that I eventually try to re-seal my port-side window. H356 construction should be very similar to the H306. Here are the links:
Replace Headliner Hunter 306 | Sailboat Owners Forums.
Healiner removal | Sailboat Owners Forums
Ceiling acess | Sailboat Owners Forums

• Helpful

vibes

Oct 3, 2023
Hey thanks for the replies. When I move the stanchion with the screw still attached i can see the aluminum backing plate moving also. I’m guessing the backing plate was embedded in the fiberglass but now is free. Is this possible? Also the other hole doesn’t seem to have a plate attached. A screw will not thread into that hole.
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

vibes

Oct 3, 2023
Fill with Epoxy , drill and tap per my link above post #2

All info in that link to fix it.

Jim...
with the plastic head liner in the way I’m finding it hard to fill and build up the hole with epoxy. If I can get the headliner out of the way I’ll fill,tap and add a backing plate.

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
with the plastic head liner in the way I’m finding it hard to fill and build up the hole with epoxy. If I can get the headliner out of the way I’ll fill,tap and add a backing plate.
It sounds like your boat has the plastic headliner, not the Whisper Soft headliner. I don't know how to remove that liner without cutting it, I'm not sure it's possible to take down without practically taking the interior of the boat apart. If anyone knows how to take those hard, plastic headliners down I'd love to hear from them. I've always wondered what the right way to get behind those is.

Based on what I'm see in your pictures and what's you're describing with the backing plate still being attached, you might consider injecting epoxy that's thickened to a mayonnaise consistency in the space between the deck and backing plate. I think using a syringe to get as much epoxy in there as possible would be the right way to go. After it hardens, drill it and tap it for a screw.