Hunter 34 - Weeping Hull

Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White St Helens, OR
So it's trading real hard today on the Columbia River and! I heard to the boat to do some more repairs to get ready for sailing on Father's Day.

A section of interior section of the hull starboard side galley was repainted few days ago when the weather was nice. Stepping aboard this afternoon I am seeing tidelines that make it look like the hall is leaking or weeping inside one of the galley cabinets. Upon further inspection it also looks like there are some old tide lines in a locker I have a repainted yet that might indicate additional leaks in the past.

The question is where are the leaks coming from...the toe rail? The genoa car track? A porthole?

As you can see from the photos there's some chopstrand mat that may be from a past repair, but along that section of the hull there seems to be some kind of a join in the fiberglasst that the water seems to be slowly weeping out from underneath. If you look closely at the photos you can see both the brown stains on the new paint and also the water reflecting in the photo.

anyone else have this issue in the past? what was the fix?

thanks ....Sam
20210613_151152.jpg
20210613_151032.jpg
20210609_171552.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sam... The two items 1. the FRP repair - (or at least what looks like that) and 2. The brown water trails

May not be from the same cause. The water trails look dry. That stain (I've seen it in my boat) lead me to suspect water is getting into the core and you are seeing the trail (brown wood particle stain) from the water inundation. It may be coming from anywhere. Stanchions, hardware, hand holds, windows/ports, anything that has or could have bolts or screws penetrating the FRP deck. In such a case you need to start searching and rebedding things in that area of the leak. If it repeats you need to expand out the items you rebed. In time you will find the culprit and by rebedding it, solve the leak and the brown staining.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
that might be from condensation, I used to get something like that in the forward compartments on hot humid days. The hull was cooler that the outside humid air and form condensation on the hull that would ultimately form streaks like that. I installed a computer fan into the area and problem solved.

Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White St Helens, OR
Capt Robbie...I was thinking that too and was planning to do some bull insulating over the summer. What changed my mind with the leak in the galley cupboard was seeing the hull weeping during a very heavy and prolonged rainstorm. And having just repaired that locker I found that it was an active leak.

I am finding the occasional small puddle under the vee-bearth in the deepest locker. that I am thinking is condensation as you suggest.

I like the idea of a couple of small pc fans to keep the moving. Also looking to improve cabin airflow to reduce the development of mold and mildew in the damp of the Pacific North Wet.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sam

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
check the recessed jib tracks and any impact dents on the toe rail, also check the Windows and ports above the stove. The Windows have a void between the deck and the cabin liner. Try to seal off the window and jib track with shipping film. The same film they use when cars are transported. I think you can get it on amazon for about $20 a role. Isolate each area and soak each area with a hose.