Hunter 34 Refit Help

chloe

Aug 2, 2024
Hunter 34 Toronto
It is not paint. It is a gelcoat strip sprayed into the mold at the time the boat hull was built. To remove it you would need to sand it. Then you would need to barrier coat the hull and paint the hull. It is the same material as the white gelcoat.

On the other hand, if it is just oxidized and you want to make it pretty, you could wet sand and polish the stripe smooth like you would polish a car paint job. That often brings the gelcoat shine back.
Thank you so much for the input. I have a ton of work to get done for the spring on this boat as I am sure you can see from the original image,
I am considering wrapping the boat with a 3m vinyl, I have experience applying it and it could be done fairly inexpensively for a good quality finish!

A little update on my progress:

I am planning on having some of the last remaining teardown work done by the yard the boat is at as I seem to get sick every time I go below (due to mold) even with a respirator. The boat still needs the cabin sole, head, holding tank, false bilge floor, galley icebox and silly wall carpets torn out before I can go forward with getting it professionally remediated. I have never seen so much black mold in my life!

I will keep you all updated with new pictures once I get the boat all cleaned up!
Then I can begin to build my new cabin layout which is exciting as well...

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Normally I would not use a OZone generator on a boat, but if black mold is a bad as you say, it might be an optional method. Check with the experts as OZone is a corrosive gas. I had one used by a car detailer and it was a miracle solution for the vehicle.

chloe

Aug 2, 2024
Hunter 34 Toronto
Normally I would not use a OZone generator on a boat, but if black mold is a bad as you say, it might be an optional method. Check with the experts as OZone is a corrosive gas. I had one used by a car detailer and it was a miracle solution for the vehicle.
This boat will need some very serious remediation. Fogging can damage seals and other components quite badly from what I’ve been told. However, I will almost certainly try ozone as well, as I’ve used it on my car with good results.

I’m looking to have the work done by a company that specializes in boats (mold.ca) here in Canada.

My current concern is getting under the pan thoroughly enough to remove everything. I almost need some kind of heavy-duty foaming solution for that! One of the more frustrating aspects of these production boats is not being able to access everything.