Hunter 34 Fuel Tank Well

Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White St Helens, OR
For those owners with a1980s vintage Hunter 34 had anyone exploited the well the fuel tank sits inside of? I seem to have gotten water in there and I'm wondering if there is a drain hole? Or do I need to remove the tank?

Thanks in advance for any help is photos you might have.
sam

Sep 30, 2017
Hunter 34 Gunpower Neck - Aberdeen, MD
exploited? the well is part of the molded liner that is bonded to the hull. I am guessing that if you poked a hole in the liner below the fuel tank, the liquid would pass into the void between and may or may not make its way to the real bilge. If it did, you would want to perform the "false bilge project" to free the fluid, otherwise it will forever be stuck between the liner and hull.

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Sam
I don't have a drain on mine. At times there is a small amout of water in there. I've never investigated where it came from as it was a small amount and I would just suck it out with a shop vac. I suspect the water is coming in from around the fuel cap.

Jun 8, 2020
Sam
I don't have a drain on mine. At times there is a small amout of water in there. I've never investigated where it came from as it was a small amount and I would just suck it out with a shop vac. I suspect the water is coming in from around the fuel cap.
Don
thanks for your reply... I'll be drinking the vacuum trick today. ion my case I suspect the water is coming from a leak in the bildge pump hose.
Sam

Jun 8, 2020
exploited? the well is part of the molded liner that is bonded to the hull. I am guessing that if you poked a hole in the liner below the fuel tank, the liquid would pass into the void between and may or may not make its way to the real bilge. If it did, you would want to perform the "false bilge project" to free the fluid, otherwise it will forever be stuck between the liner and hull.

pa391as
sorry about the auto correct error...I was trying to say explored. And I agree, don't link the idea of water/fluid trapped between the lines and the hull. I'll go back and look at Coastal Life's video of when they opened up the false bildge.
Thanks for your reply.

Sam

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Having no drain hole in that well is a good thing. It provides secondary containment for spilled diesel. You don't want diesel to end up in the bilge and pumped overboard. My experience was from the vent tube that wasn't clamped on at the factory. Fuel came out there and collected in the well. Lots of oil absorbent pads later and it was cleaned up.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
that drain well serves to indicate fuel hose failure by hold fuel spilled after fueling the tank

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
Don't do what we did and just ignore standing water on our 84 H34! We're in the process of fixing about 30 years of "ignored" water issues by rebuilding the main cabin from the sole up. We had many leaks from the anchor locker drain pipe, to the gaskets under the water and waste deck fittings but I don't believe that we ever had a leak into the fuel tank locker. We placed paper towels in various locations trying to find leaks. But there are a few places that you can look at to start. The gaskets under the diesel deck fitting, the cockpit drains. Take a flashlight and watch while someone put a hose on the various devices, etc that could possibly lead to water in the tank area. I would imagine, but don't know whether there are holes that would lead water from the fuel tank area to the bilge. If you haven't already, you need to open up the original bilge to allow decades of water (and smell) to be removed.

I've attached some pictures of what happens and the effort to fix leaks when you don't fix these problems early.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
As Allen posted the molded tank well is there for a reason. It serves as a fuel spill reservoir if the tank ever leaks. Don't drill it! Use an oil absorbent rag to remove the majority then put a fan above to circulate air to dry out the rest.

Jan 22, 2008
I must have one of the earlier H34s since I don't believe or haven't seen a molded tank well

Aug 10, 2020
Hunter 34 Austin, TX
"molded well" might be an overstatement (at least for my H34, MY 84). The tank basically sits between the ribs of the inner hull mold. Sure it will hold some spilled fuel but if that thing ever cracks I'll have diesel in the bildge.

IMG_20200529_154810.jpg

Jan 22, 2008
THANKS for the picture. I wasn't sure what a "molded well" that could hold spills actually meant. I have the same set up.