Hunter 26 trailer

Feb 18, 2016
Hunter 26 Apollo Beach, Florida
I have a 1995 Hunter 26 water ballast that needs a trailer. I can only find a manufacturer who has the design for a 1998 Hunter 260 water ballast. Are they compatible?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have my trailer in the yard. If you want me to take some measurements for comparison, tell me what you need.

Feb 18, 2016
I have my trailer in the yard. If you want me to take some measurements for comparison, tell me what you need.
You are very kind! I will ask the manufacturer, hopefully an expert, what measurements he needs.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
The hull of the 26 and the 260 are essentially the same mold there were some changes to the interior and several to the deck but the shape of the hull did not change. Same case for the 23.5 and 240. Crazy Dave the God Father of the water ballasted Hunters will chime in here shortly and I believe confirm my assertion. If I remember right the Magic Tilt folks somewhere around Tampa still list the trailer as a model they offer.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The original trailer for the 26 was built by hunter but with the 260 magic tilt built them. Hulls are identical. If other mfgs you have to be careful so not to damage hull and water ballast tank.

Feb 18, 2016
The original trailer for the 26 was built by hunter but with the 260 magic tilt built them. Hulls are identical. If other mfgs you have to be careful so not to damage hull and water ballast tank.
Thanks, Crazy Dave and everyone. I have ordered the 260 trailer from Magic Tilt. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Kendall

Jun 23, 2009
Hunter 260 Cocoa Beach
Kendall,
I'm in the market for a trailer for my 2005 hunter 260. Can you please share how much your new magic tilt trailer set you back?

Thanks,
Carlo9s

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I was involved with Magic Tilt on the trailer with Hunter. One of the biggest concerns, the boat itself 3000 pounds is supported on the bunk boards which have to be long and sturdy but mostly to configure to the hull to support the weight which is the biggest concern when going with another mfg.. In addition, it has to have four supports for the bunk boards and enough clearance for the centerboard to rest ok on the keel tray. I saw a few others come thru my dealership which I had to fix on the 26 and 260 from others.

Ron Frisosky with Road King now deceased actually measured for that as well and built trailers for the 26 and 260 but alas Road King does not have the specs and the fact their facility in Florida never responded shocked me. If Ron were alive, someone would have been scolded and/or fired.

Jun 23, 2009
Hunter 260 Cocoa Beach
Kendall,

Great, thanks for providing the cost. Can you confirm that your trailer will come with 4 support posts on each bunk as Dave Condon mentions?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The original trailer for the 26/260 was with three supports which I was concerned about but it took a ticket to an owner of a 260 trailer which finally got them to add a fourth support for the bunk boards.

Feb 18, 2016
Sorry for the delay. I was out of town. Yes, the bunks do indeed have 4 support posts.
There is also a ladder build into the front and a two speed winch. It's really nice.
There we a couple of very minor problems with the trailer when I drove over to Pinellas county to get it. They were fixed the next day and then the factory delivered it to my house in Plant City.
I assumed that the lights would be leds, but it turns out that they are an optional upgrade.

Feb 5, 2016
Hunter 26 Phoenix, AZ
I am purchasing a 1994 Hunter 26 and will be driving some distance to get it. Can anyone tell me what the trailer tongue height should be (to keep the load level), so that I can go prepared with the correct receiver hitch draw bar? Also, if anyone knows the correct tire size (original wheels, I think), that would be helpful so that I can make sure that the tire store there has four of them at the ready. Thanks in advance!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Kermit, can you measure this for this man and let him know as I do not have a trailer in front. Best guess. CS, good question but a lot depends what you are pulling with as to a straight bar or a two/four inch drop bar. Not really an issue though as the trailer was specifically built for the boat with what you asked in question. Tractor supply and the other chain which I forget usually keeps them in stock.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hi Cactus

I recently purchased my H26 and I pulled the trailer home with a Chevy Silverado and a 1" drop on the hitch. Walmart, Tractor Supply and/or Lowes will have the receiver you need.

Enjoy your boat. I went sailing twice last week... :)

Feb 5, 2016
Hunter 26 Phoenix, AZ
Thanks, CDC and rgranger. I have a K2500 suburban and am guessing that a 4" drop is about right, after some photogrammetry analysis using trailer pictures. I was mostly concerned with keeping the trailer level for sufficient after bunk clearance and hitch weight distribution.

As a side note, it is surprisingly difficult to find a 4" drop hitch rated over 5000 lb. I did see the solid 16,000 lb rated draw bar at TSC today, though. It is heavy enough to double as a light stern anchor ;)