Hunter 216 - New Owner swing keel

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
John
To start a new thread ensure you are in the right forum for your topic. I would suggest that it be in Hunter Owners - Smaller Boats but the choice is yours.

At the top of the list of threads in the forum there is a button named "Post Thread", just click on that, give the thread a meaningful name and post the initial message.

Nov 19, 2018
Hunter 216 Silver Lake, Wisconsin
H216Sailor,
We will work together to help the class optimize the tune of the Hunter 216.

First I have a question for you. The picture shows that you are sailing close hauled and the boom vang is loose. However you have more than a 15% droop in your boom? That cannot help your sail shape and hinder your VMG? Is your main old and blown-out, or is the standard factory issued main just a cheap boomholder? I saw this respectfully as I have the same problem with my main! That is why I am installing a Boomkicker this weekend.
Sail fast,
John

Jun 26, 2018
Hunter 216 Branford
We list halyard tension but started like that anyways as it was too close to the start to fix. It was corrected after the photo was taken. When the main is properly all the way up, I'm happy with the boom positioning. I do not have a traveler which would make a big difference in the upwind performance. I think I will make up a bridle similar to the ones on a 420 as a simple way to get the boom to centerline. It will also be easy to remove when not racing. I really like how open the cockpit is without the traveler for cruising.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
We list halyard tension but started like that anyways as it was too close to the start to fix. It was corrected after the photo was taken. When the main is properly all the way up, I'm happy with the boom positioning. I do not have a traveler which would make a big difference in the upwind performance. I think I will make up a bridle similar to the ones on a 420 as a simple way to get the boom to centerline. It will also be easy to remove when not racing. I really like how open the cockpit is without the traveler for cruising.
I was musing about the traveller in the 216 improvement thread

Can you share photos and your thinking on this as I would think it would be a great mod for the 216?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Fellow sailors and fellow Canucks - all good!

The only rye worth drinking IMHO.

I have a patent pending (just kidding) on my mast down water barrier.

I took a domed soccer cone, stuffed a length of foam through the hole and duct taped it together. I put a bungie on the foam and put tension on it from inside the cuddy. Put the hatch boards in, cover on and pull the dome over the hole. If your storing outside I would tarp or something but as a quick and dirty fix my little gizmo worked.
@Glenn8732

This is the mast down gizmo I McGuivered up.

5DE9B2E1-3282-41D8-9CAC-2747806CBC03.jpeg
6D4FF7F6-596D-4939-B716-F96BB4F6F599.jpeg
EA264AB3-AA05-4BDE-844B-0E2D24EC990F.jpeg

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
No I haven't moved it off my driveway. I tested the sailtec and it has lost too much oil to hold load properly. I sent the sail away too, so hoping by mid September, everything will be in place. I get my sailing fix at Gimli Yacht Club every WNR, (wed nite racing). I am fore deck on a Tartan 10, I set and fly spinnaker, on the down wind, and run the race computer and rail meat on the upwind.
Just curious if you have the Sailtec back yet and if so are you happy with the re-build?