Hunter 216 - New Owner swing keel

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Thanks for the trailer dimensions, mine is a Venture as well, so I will compare them and make adjustments if required. The mast boot is on my list, and I will need to keep water out with mast down as well. I see you discovered that I sail out of Gimli, aka home of Seagrams, and the only place in the world Crown Royal is made. Funny how the bottle keeps getting empty. must be gremlins.
Fellow sailors and fellow Canucks - all good!

The only rye worth drinking IMHO.

I have a patent pending (just kidding) on my mast down water barrier.

I took a domed soccer cone, stuffed a length of foam through the hole and duct taped it together. I put a bungie on the foam and put tension on it from inside the cuddy. Put the hatch boards in, cover on and pull the dome over the hole. If your storing outside I would tarp or something but as a quick and dirty fix my little gizmo worked.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I’m a bit curious if you resisted the urge to sail at least once BEFORE you sent the Sailtec off for rebuild???;)

Mar 27, 2007
Hunter 216 Gimli on Lake Winnipeg
No I haven't moved it off my driveway. I tested the sailtec and it has lost too much oil to hold load properly. I sent the sail away too, so hoping by mid September, everything will be in place. I get my sailing fix at Gimli Yacht Club every WNR, (wed nite racing). I am fore deck on a Tartan 10, I set and fly spinnaker, on the down wind, and run the race computer and rail meat on the upwind.

Mar 27, 2007
Hunter 216 Gimli on Lake Winnipeg
Looks like a T10, here is a shot of Liquor Box, the Tartan 10, crossing my former boat Shadowland H33. I am on the rail in blue.
B480FC88-7285-456D-8D67-C1812CC79569.png

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Nice photos. Just a heads up though; you won’t be digging your toes into the rail on your new vessel.;)

Nov 19, 2018
Hunter 216 Silver Lake, Wisconsin
New Hunter 216 owner. I recently purchased a 2008 216, so probably one of the last produced. Originally sold to a non-sailor in Michigan. Sailed only ten or fewer times. Hull in great shape, however the rigging a cordage was a disaster. Not sure how it could have been safely sailed.

First sail last weekend on a 550 acre lake east of Lake Geneva Wisconsin. Replacing/upgrading all the cordage and much of the blocks and tackle and may update much of the controls. Experience from racing Lightnings, Flying Scots, and Buccaneers on Lake Michigan the last 17 years, so the Hunter is a new experience.

QUESTIONS

1.) First noticed that there was no "tiller feel" and actually the boat was too nervous because of a very quick turning ratio of the VARA rudder system: I quickly added bungee-cords to tiller to dampen the movement. Other suggestions?

2.) The centerboard does not completely retract into the centerboard case. Is this normal?

3.) The main halyard would not pull the Head of the sail to the very top of the mast. Added a cheek block at the base of the mast and a turning block just below the boom goose-neck on the mast. This really helped.

4.) Topping Lift attached to the end of the boom was needed to keep the boom from sagging downward. Unfortunately the topping lift chafes the leech and hangs up the main on tacks: Installing a Seoladair 750 Boomkicker this weekend to remedy the problem. Probably going to lower the bail for the Vang 4 inches to gain the space to install the Boomkicker and install a 2:1 Cascading Vang set-up for additional purchase.

Any other recommendations from the group would be appreciative.

Thank you

John Welch
Silver Lake WI.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
On your point 3, I had that with Hunter 23. Sent photo of raised sail with fold to my sail loft. They recommended that the luff rope had shrunk, and I had them fix it by unsewing the sail from the rope and resewing it accounting for the shrinking. That might possibly be an issue for you.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
New Hunter 216 owner. I recently purchased a 2008 216, so probably one of the last produced. Originally sold to a non-sailor in Michigan. Sailed only ten or fewer times. Hull in great shape, however the rigging a cordage was a disaster. Not sure how it could have been safely sailed.

First sail last weekend on a 550 acre lake east of Lake Geneva Wisconsin. Replacing/upgrading all the cordage and much of the blocks and tackle and may update much of the controls. Experience from racing Lightnings, Flying Scots, and Buccaneers on Lake Michigan the last 17 years, so the Hunter is a new experience.

QUESTIONS

1.) First noticed that there was no "tiller feel" and actually the boat was too nervous because of a very quick turning ratio of the VARA rudder system: I quickly added bungee-cords to tiller to dampen the movement. Other suggestions?

The Vara rudder casket on my boat was "fixed" by the original owner (there was a problem with the bearings in some of them) so the rotation I "feel" may not be the same as yours. That said I find that I can lightly hold the tiller once sails are trimmed and I'm sort of locked in on a heading or even at times let go completely to attend to something. I don't find it nervous but the boat is VERY responsive to input which a find feels sort of like a really big laser. The other factor is the boat handles quite a bit differently when loaded up VS singlehand.

2.) The centerboard does not completely retract into the centerboard case. Is this normal?

I mentioned this above but the designer (Henderson)did this on purpose. So yes they are all like that. Article in the link has his quotes.

3.) The main halyard would not pull the Head of the sail to the very top of the mast. Added a cheek block at the base of the mast and a turning block just below the boom goose-neck on the mast. This really helped.

I never experienced any issue with raising the main all the way up so can't really comment constructively on this one. My main and I believe all stock sails have sail slugs running in the mast track, maybe a slug or the track is faulty???

4.) Topping Lift attached to the end of the boom was needed to keep the boom from sagging downward. Unfortunately the topping lift chafes the leech and hangs up the main on tacks: Installing a Seoladair 750 Boomkicker this weekend to remedy the problem. Probably going to lower the bail for the Vang 4 inches to gain the space to install the Boomkicker and install a 2:1 Cascading Vang set-up for additional purchase.

I have a two position topping lift and the standard vang on mine and again don't have this problem. My thoughts would be if you can't get main all the way up then of course the end of the boom is going to sag. Loose footed main with a slug in the track so clew is right at the boom... normal stuff. Your additions would obviously make the tuning options greater but might not be worth it on this boat. The design is a lively daysailer not a full on race boat, just sayin.

When I raise the main I have the topping lift clipped on, get the sail all the way up so the leech is supporting the boom, I then unclip the first hook and the second clip holds the topping lift to the end of the boom but lets it slop around so that it doesn't interfere with the roach. I don't have a picture but if my explanation doesn't make sense I can get one.

Any other recommendations from the group would be appreciative.

Thank you

John Welch
Silver Lake WI.
John - Always happy to try to assist other 216 owners so my comments are in RED above.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
John:
I made a comment above that the 216 isn’t a full on race boat. Really not fair of me to say that as several people are using the boat for that purpose. Check out @H216sailor posts as that’s what he is doing — PHRF rating and everything.

Nov 19, 2018
Hunter 216,
I appreciate the insights.

I mentioned this above but the designer (Henderson)did this on purpose. So yes they are all like that. Article in the link has his quotes.
Thank you!

I never experienced any issue with raising the main all the way up so can't really comment constructively on this one. My main and I believe all stock sails have sail slugs running in the mast track, maybe a slug or the track is faulty?

I hope there isn't a bend in the mast track. I filed all the sail slugs first, now I will replace them all this weekend. Hopefully this will help. I am still installing the Boomkicker because in light air, lifting the boom opens the leech for better sail shape and faster VMG.

isaksp00 made a shrewd observation
"recommended that (maybe) the luff rope had shrunk," He had his repaired by taking to a sail loft and removed old luff rope from the sail and resewing a new one to lengthen the Luff.

I really need new sails!

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Hunter 216,
I appreciate the insights.

Thank you!

I never experienced any issue with raising the main all the way up so can't really comment constructively on this one. My main and I believe all stock sails have sail slugs running in the mast track, maybe a slug or the track is faulty?

I hope there isn't a bend in the mast track. I filed all the sail slugs first, now I will replace them all this weekend. Hopefully this will help. I am still installing the Boomkicker because in light air, lifting the boom opens the leech for better sail shape and faster VMG.

isaksp00 made a shrewd observation
"recommended that (maybe) the luff rope had shrunk," He had his repaired by taking to a sail loft and removed old luff rope from the sail and resewing a new one to lengthen the Luff.

I really need new sails!
Wow, budget — what budget!!!:beer:

You are obviously interested in performance so if you are sail shopping you might want to check with @H216sailor has decided to go with otherwise SBO store sells the stock ones.

The other little item that has made a big difference (I think) is the mast wedge installed on the mast stepping (sp?) pin. Takes a lot of flex out of the mast and for that matter the boat.

The kicker helping in light air is true but old school fellas like me (read cheap) do that with an adjustable topping lift : )

Do you have the spin package?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018
Hunter216,
No, unfortunately the boat came as a recreational sailor. Once I work out the basics I plan to install a symmetrical spinnaker with a traditional spin pole like I used on a J22 or the Flying Scot that I have been racing for ten years, throughout the Midwest.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Hunter216,
No, unfortunately the boat came as a recreational sailor. Once I work out the basics I plan to install a symmetrical spinnaker with a traditional spin pole like I used on a J22 or the Flying Scot that I have been racing for ten years, throughout the Midwest.
Like this?
42B94891-C270-442C-8B3E-BC3DAA5BDBCF.jpeg

Foredeck on the 216 is NOT a friendly place, high coaming stepover, dome for cuddy, no non skid. Things to think about, fine once you get used to it.

Nov 19, 2018
Yes, I raced at to two clubs: Sheridan Shore north of Evanston and the last seven at Ephram Yacht Club in Door County where we we see 15 boats on the line almost every Saturday and almost 40 for our annual regatta! 100 races in 14 years!

However With all due respect to a fabulous class with almost 7,000 boats, the Flying Scot is a barge compared to the plastic construction, Plumb Bow, roller Jib, hydrodynamic hull with open transom, fractional rig with no backstay and large roached open footed mainsail!

Relatively speaking the Hunter 216 is like sailing a larger, more modern 470 on steroids!
Regards,
John

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Yes, I raced at to two clubs: Sheridan Shore north of Evanston and the last seven at Ephram Yacht Club in Door County where we we see 15 boats on the line almost every Saturday and almost 40 for our annual regatta! 100 races in 14 years!

However With all due respect to a fabulous class with almost 7,000 boats, the Flying Scot is a barge compared to the plastic construction, Plumb Bow, roller Jib, hydrodynamic hull with open transom, fractional rig with no backstay and large roached open footed mainsail!

Relatively speaking the Hunter 216 is like sailing a larger, more modern 470 on steroids!
Regards,
John
I think maybe we :hijack:.

I’m quite interested in your modifications. Perhaps starting a new thread with photos of before and after.:)

Nov 19, 2018
I think maybe we :hijack:.

I’m quite interested in your modifications. Perhaps starting a new thread with photos of before and after.:)
Hunter216,
I believe that is an excellent idea! As I am new to the forum, how does one start the new topic?
I will begin documenting all upgrades with pictures this weekend.
Regards,
John

Jun 26, 2018
Hunter 216 Branford
Congratulations on your new boat! I personally like the muted, 100% balanced feel of the rudder on the 216, you just have to be careful because it won't give you the same feedback as an unbalanced dinghy rudder. I also plan on sailing the boat with a symmetrical spinnaker. It will be almost to the masthead (2' short of the top, 4' above the forestay tang). I will also be using running backstays to keep the rig up with that spinnaker up. I have done a few races in non-spinnaker class in moderate breeze and I've found that the boat does not like any heel upwind. None at all. The first race (picture below) I was sailing with two people and it was not enough weight on the rail. The second race had the same conditions and I sailed with three people and it felt a lot better.

Unfortunately by jib ripped apart in a storm a few weeks ago so I haven't had time to test the new spinnaker. I have the stock Dacron sails as well. I got a quite from a Loong Sails rep who is located in CT for a new laminate mainsail. I've attached the quotes below. I got two quotes: one for ZZ Black Polyester cloth and one for ZZ Black Aramid (Mylar) both from Contender sailcloth. The Polyester is cheaper as it has more stretch then the Mylar, but will probably last longer and would be fine for my purposes.
H10.jpg

Attachments