Headsail alone vs. Main

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It is simple physics, how can that be wrong? Please explain yourself. These articles agree with me.

Lee Helm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_helm
Weather Helm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_helm
This one repeats the weather vane analogy. http://www.schoolofsailing.net/weather-helm-and-lee-helm.html

And another: http://johnellsworth.com/writing/nautical/balance_helm/balance.html

Diagram: http://johnellsworth.com/writing/nautical/balance_helm/fig1.jpg
LOL. Thought I was responding to a totally different thread. Must have been a good bottle of wine last night!

Last edited:

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Rig a downhaul to avoid going forward. Also, I forgot, we find the reef lines tend to slip through the stock jammers so I always tie a piece of webbing through the 2nd reef clew and around the boom as well. It keeps the foot down and stretched flat.
Not sure how I'd rig a downhaul because my clutches are all used. Thoughts? Great idea on securing the reef points. The jammers do seem to slip a bit. And for what it's worth, I've already learned the lesson about not tying down the excess sail too tightly. A couple of years ago, in an effort to look tidy and professional I rolled up the excess main and tied it up tightly against the boom. The pressure poked little holes in the foot of my sail where it was forced up against the shackle pins along the foot. Dumb dumb dumb.

Sep 29, 2012
Taswell 43 Center Cockpit currently the eastern Carrib
FWIW, for just plain pleasure sailing and not racing, we run with just our 135% h/s whenever the wind is aft the beam. Our Taswell 43 shows no unusual helm. Pulling is always better than pushing, especially downwind....sort of like a spinaker, but easier, and much easier to control. when the wind gets nearly directly downwind, then you need to consider poling out, but that's a whole other thing. And IF you do use the M/S, absolutely use a preventer of some sort.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Not sure how I'd rig a downhaul because my clutches are all used. Thoughts? Great idea on securing the reef points. The jammers do seem to slip a bit. And for what it's worth, I've already learned the lesson about not tying down the excess sail too tightly. A couple of years ago, in an effort to look tidy and professional I rolled up the excess main and tied it up tightly against the boom. The pressure poked little holes in the foot of my sail where it was forced up against the shackle pins along the foot. Dumb dumb dumb.
Possibly just run the line down from the sail head, through a turning block at the base of the mast and find a place to cleat it. Its just something to pull on to lower the sail if needed.

I did the same thing with tying up the reef slab. Now I tie it under the foot of the sail above the boom. That way it doesn't stress the grommets. But the webbing to secure the sail from slipping is only on the big cringle at the end, not along the entire foot.

By the way, make sure to wear your tether and harness.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
In my opinion, an anticipated 5 hour crossing requires adequate trim for comfort. Would not want to fight the helm for that period of time. I would use both sails, with a deeply reefed main which you can do on the dock before departure. Just find yourself a comfortable course even if you have to sail a little longer, just check that you maintain an adequate speed to destination.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I do it all the time in heavy breeze in my H-34, No problem. You can reef the headsail and the boat will still get to hull speed with half the sail rolled up in 25 kts. The H34 is tender. We all know that. She will not round up sailing on a reefed headsail alone.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL

JSumme

Jul 21, 2015
Marlow-Hunter e33 Alexandria
I own a 2014 H33e with furling main and jib with a B&R rig (no back stay). While delivering the boat from Annapolis to DC, in Oct 2014, my daughter and I turned North heading up the Potomac with a 26 knot tailwind from the S-SW. I set up the boat for a run and, with no whisker pole, decided to run with the main alone. This took pressure off the B&R rig, although it is designed to manage with just the jib. With main alone and a fairly steady 26 knot wind, we exceeded the hull speed for most of the run and made the trip in less than 5 hours. My only concern was an accidental gybe, but the wind remained steady from the S-SW for the entire trip. If I ever do that again, I will rig a preventer. I just didn't have the equipment for it during that trip. The boat was very comfortable under just the main and the autopilot managed the helm with very little adjustment. Great time!

Jul 12, 2010
CATALINA 30 SANTA CRUZ
Keep in mind all boats are different and respond differently. Also experience comes into play. I introduced my wife to bareboating years ago in Christmas winds in the Caribbean. We sailed from st Vincent to union island. Since she does not like bashing, I paid for delivery back up wind. The whole week had winds in excess of 20 and even over 25 knots on the quarter with 8 ft quartering seas. I never raised the main but am experienced with sailing in quartering seas and can keep the boat on a straight course. At one point my wife wanted her picture taken behind the wheel and we rounded up in less than 10 seconds, even with just the jib up. I attribute this roundup to the quartering seas. It was a great trip and we have been on many more charters since then, even bashing into waves!

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
A couple of years ago, in an effort to look tidy and professional I rolled up the excess main and tied it up tightly against the boom.
I did the same thing on a Morgan 41 some 25 years ago. Wind shifted prior to a thunderstorm, took an accidental gybe and blew out all four reef points. Three rolls of duct tape later we were back on our way. Looked ghetto but we figured, "Hey, it might make a great radar reflector". Took the reefing lines off my main after that and just roll up the excess and stuff in the baggy part of the main's foot. Anyway, what BKeeler said... all boats are different and experience does matter.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
One related question: My mainsail has 3 reef-points (3 extra cringles but only two reefing lines. The first cringle is very close to the foot and would seem to make minimal difference so I generally ignore it and use the 2nd and 3rd cringles, with the two reefing lines respectively. Is the first reef point meant to be used without a reefing line? When people refer to a "double reefed" sail, I'm not sure whether to count that first one that is so close to the foot.
How close to the foot? Are you sure that's not a cunningham cringle?

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Is there another cringle on the leech the same height as on the luff? If not, as Sesmith said, it is most likely a cunningham cringle. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Go with what works.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I did the same thing on a Morgan 41 some 25 years ago. Wind shifted prior to a thunderstorm, took an accidental gybe and blew out all four reef points. Three rolls of duct tape later we were back on our way. Looked ghetto but we figured, "Hey, it might make a great radar reflector". Took the reefing lines off my main after that and just roll up the excess and stuff in the baggy part of the main's foot. Anyway, what BKeeler said... all boats are different and experience does matter.
From your description it would appear that the reef lines were tied too tight and passed on the underside of the boom. For a loose footed main (which I realize you may not have had) you would want to tie up the excess sail with the reef lines passing between the top of the boom and the foot of the sail. If not loose footed then of course they must pass on the underside of the boom, but you would want to be careful to tie them loosely enough so there is no strain on them under any circumstances. Their sole purpose is to help clean up the excess sail and not to take any kind of load. They are not even strictly necessary (as you noted in your second to last sentence), but do make things more tidy.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You should be leaving the slip with a double reef tied in, and Gybe preventer rigged. Accidental gybes are dangerous to crew and rig, every sailor should have a Gybe preventer system. You could undoubtedly do this trip under Genoa alone, but having a scrap of main helps you balance the rig, set a heave-to if needed. If things get squirrelly, and the boat is steering like an F 150 with a load of bricks in the bed, come up 30 degrees and get the flow across your underwater foils working right again. Gybe down wind.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I agree with the other H-34 owners.. Sailing with jib alone in heavy wind is much easier and especially when single handing.. Don't bother with the main. if ya get concerned, roll the jib up and go to motor. but you'll be a lot happier with the motion and controllability with jib and no main. Good Luck ! Wish I could zip up there and sail the trip with ya !

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
CaptnRN: I'll tell you I dodge a bullet in your exchange with jackdaw.There are a few mates on this forum over the years that I'd rather not mess with regarding sail trim and jackdaw is one of them!! I've use the "weather vane analogy" many many times over the years to explain sail trim at sail trim seminars all over the southwest and my first thought was "oh crap, how did I miss the mistake". I re checked older articles plus the articles you mentioned to see where I was going wrong and was sure glad to find that jackdaw was "3 sheets to the wind" when he answered the topic!!