Headsail alone vs. Main

slooop

Jan 29, 2015
Hunter 34 Panama City, FL
My H34 sails better with just the 150 Genny and no main.
That strong weather helm is tamed and the boat still flies with 8+ wind.
I've had the boat since 1984, bought her new, love her, but that weather helm is hard to love.
If I keep the boat, (I'm waffling about selling it) I will install a "sugar scoop". See other threads about the scoop. Mr. Smith, H34 owner way up in Michigan installed one on his boat. Says the weather helm is completely eliminated and speed is considerably increased. He was able to sail several hours with the lee rail in the water.
So bottom line, don't worry about sailing with just your jib

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
I sail jib-only a lot, especially downwind. Once the wind is abaft the beam, things like flattening or "depowering" the main just doesn't work. As for lee vs weather, I found when you first start out (ie very little headway) there is lee helm, but once the boat starts moving, dynamics take over from statics and you get weather helm. It can be tricky on a beam reach, but if the wind is well behind you it's... a breeze! ;) If you have good roller-reefing gear (not "roller-furling"!) it's easy to adjust the amount of sail you have out.
One of my best sails on the Ontario 32 was across Georgia Strait in 20-25 knots winds on the stern quarter, with just the genny up. I was hitting 9 knots occasionally...

druid

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
From your description it would appear that the reef lines were tied too tight and passed on the underside of the boom. For a loose footed main (which I realize you may not have had) you would want to tie up the excess sail with the reef lines passing between the top of the boom and the foot of the sail. If not loose footed then of course they must pass on the underside of the boom, but you would want to be careful to tie them loosely enough so there is no strain on them under any circumstances. Their sole purpose is to help clean up the excess sail and not to take any kind of load. They are not even strictly necessary (as you noted in your second to last sentence), but do make things more tidy.
Alan, all of what you said is absolutely correct. Just 'fessin' up to operator error. :shhh:

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Um...don't sail in +25kts until you know your boat better?
I've sailed her in my share of 25kt winds and I'd like to think I know her fairly well. I ask questions like this to challenge my assumptions and benefit from those with much more experience than me.

That said, I'd really rather not be sailing this week but I need to bring her home from where she was left on her last sail.

That

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
I sail jib-only a lot, especially downwind. Once the wind is abaft the beam, things like flattening or "depowering" the main just doesn't work. As for lee vs weather, I found when you first start out (ie very little headway) there is lee helm, but once the boat starts moving, dynamics take over from statics and you get weather helm. It can be tricky on a beam reach, but if the wind is well behind you it's... a breeze! ;) If you have good roller-reefing gear (not "roller-furling"!) it's easy to adjust the amount of sail you have out.
One of my best sails on the Ontario 32 was across Georgia Strait in 20-25 knots winds on the stern quarter, with just the genny up. I was hitting 9 knots occasionally...

druid
Druid, how long have you had that Ontario 32? I almost bought one about 3 years ago from a friend in North Van. Maybe it's his?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Here's what you'll be doing using mainsail only w/ single reef. With even 6-ft seas on the quarter you'll need to be careful not to accidentally gybe the boom. Might wish to have a preventer rigged. If unable to sail low enough to make your mark on the broad reach and must gybe, a preventer might become an issue; however, you'll probably want to chicken gybe. Be sure you can release it from the cockpit at the proper time. Also, I would not advise applying much vang here. The boom should be free to rise and spill air from the main. All said, I think most folks single-handing in those conditions would choose to sail with reefed headsail only rather than reefed mainsail only, if coming to the seas directly from harbor.

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
was sure glad to find that jackdaw was "3 sheets to the wind" when he answered the topic!!
I heard @Jackdaw "sails were a bit stiff"!

If the waves are 5' or more, the rudder exposure is an issue.

I like the jib plus auxiliary power if "surfing" is causing a gybe. I use that if I have a close target to avoid/hit for safety.
Jim...

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
Druid, how long have you had that Ontario 32? I almost bought one about 3 years ago from a friend in North Van. Maybe it's his?
I bought it in Sidney about 4 years ago. Unfortunately, due to a number of problems (all my fault! The boat's great) I haven't been able to sail her much. Once I get the new engine/trans/stuffingbox installed this spring, I should be able to get her out more this summer.

They're great boats! Offshore-worthy, solid, roomy, can hold lots of sail in a breeze... only downside I've found is they don't sail upwind very well ( keel is "long fin", almost to "full" so it's no surprise they track well downwind but don't sail upwind well).

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled broadcast ;)
druid

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
This is a link to a video by Cpt. Lee Tucker of the Maryland School of Sailing & Seamanship about sailing in heavy weather. It may give you something else to ponder. At 15:30 he talks about heaving to when the weather and waves are bad. At 17:40 he talks about the balance of modern cutter or sloop rigged yachts. If you run into problems you can't heave to with a jib alone. Just something to chew on.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
If you run into problems you can't heave to with a jib alone. Just something to chew on.
Well, sure you can. If the wind is heavy and you have a dodger (and mine's a low dodger), with no main sail up I've done it successfully. 25 knot true wind speed, seas 7 feet at 7 seconds, out in the Pacific about 5 miles offshore.

Of course, every boat heaves to differently.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I say fly the kite and turn a long 5 hour trip into 3 :)

The only time I've ever been successful sailing on jib for any distance, is when I was dragging two kids in the water on the windward side of the boat. We were sailing down wind, and with the main up, it was too fast to drag them along.

Something else to consider is motor sailing. My boat is very popular in OZ. It is very light weight, so I often see discussions of people motor sailing when the weather gets rough out in the ocean. This provides the steering control to keep the boat safe, but with the sails up, saves fuel. It may not be the most pleasant trip listening to the drone of the inboard, but you will gain much better control, and you won't need to worry about if your boat will steer properly with jib alone.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Well, sure you can. If the wind is heavy and you have a dodger (and mine's a low dodger), with no main sail up I've done it successfully. 25 knot true wind speed, seas 7 feet at 7 seconds, out in the Pacific about 5 miles offshore.

Of course, every boat heaves to differently.
Huh? How on earth is a dodger going to lift a boat to wind ...and keep it there with a Genoa of any size turning the boat abeam?

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Upwind the mainsail would be my choice, better control, headed downwind the headsail for sure.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Huh? How on earth is a dodger going to lift a boat to wind ...and keep it there with a Genoa of any size turning the boat abeam?
Gunni, my BIGGEST headsail is my 110. I haven't ever run a "genoa" on any of the boats I sail around here, since 1983.
**************************************************************************************
Like this:

Just coincidentally, my son and I were out in the ocean on Tuesday, June 12, 2012. It was nice and calm in the morning and we were heading out to the Farallons, 25 miles out. About 5 or 6 miles out north of Potato Patch off Bolinas a bit after 1200, the winds very quickly built to over 25 with quickly building seas later recorded at 7 feet at 7 seconds. We agreed it wouldn't be prudent to continue, even with our 110 jib and a reefed main. We double reefed the main and it was still too much. Then we hove to. A great relief and something everyone should know. We sat and talked about our options: dropping the main, reefing the jib some (I rarely if ever do that, since we use our smaller 85% jib for the summer, but still had our 110% "wintertime" jib up on this trip).

We concluded that it would safest to drop the main completely and run downwind back into the Bay on jib alone, so I tethered onto the shroud and went up and dropped the main. Our Batt Cars and our double line reefing from the cockpit really helped in getting the main down, since I don't think regular slugs would have let it come down by itself, as ours did that day. I had concluded that even downwind I didn't want to mess with even the double reefed mainsail up, since gybing the main in those conditions just wasn't worth it. EVER.

Anyone who has to go up on deck to reef their main is crazy and lazy. Crazy 'cuz it's a dangerous place to be and lazy because it is so simple to rig the reefing lines back to the cockpit. The picture shows the jib backwinded in the heave to. The main came all the way down to where you see it, I just had to tie it off! It was a sloppy tie, but it worked.

We then talked about how to "get out of the heave to" position, since WONDERS OF WONDERS, the boat STAYED hove to with ONLY the jib up. We concluded later that this happened because the wind was so strong that the hull of the boat and the dodger was acting like a small mainsail in balancing the boat. My son also is very good on the wheel and kept the boat in the right position. Actually I was quite amazed. Love this boat and love knowing how to heave to. Two ways to get out: gybe and have the wind start behind us and CRACK the jib wide open, or release the jib and go off on port tack downwind (see the picture). Although I often get out of a heave to by just popping the jib and leaving the main on its side, rather than resetting the jib, we decided the shock load from a popping jib wasn't worth it, so we planned the maneuver, and I slowly eased the jib down while he steered carefully, first straight and then bearing off to starboard to start our downwind run back to the Gate. It worked perfectly. We sailed for the rest of the day (1300 to 1630) under jib alone, gybing back down through Bonita Channel, across the shipping lanes, and back in through Baker Beach and the Golden Gate Bridge all the way across The Bay to Clipper Cove.

Going back to my original reply to you, I forgot to tell my friend that not only should he have not been sailing downwind with only his mainsail up, but he could have let out some jib, hove to and done what we did to drop his main.

I fully endorse jib only. That's why there are backstays. :) [on our boats, not all]

The other thing you might want to keep in mind is that simplicity is KING when the sh*t hits the fan. I believe that the LESS complications you introduce, the safer you will be. That's why, for instance, I think running backstays are dangerous. I know they're required for some rigs, but then I'd never go near a boat that had 'em.

I think if I had the extra line you thought about using, it would simply get in the way. The very LAST thing I needed when I went up on the cabintop that afternoon was anything flogging away and hitting me in the jaw!

We were doing 6 knots with 26+ knots apparent wind when going "uphill", and after we we hove to and started sailing downwind, we saw 6.5 to 7 knots with 16-18 knots wind speed when we were going downwind after our maneuver. That means 25. It was blowin'! What was also good was that our course was almost DDW with just a tiny amount of enough wind slant to keep the jib full but the waves were on our stern, not our quarter, so it was a flatter boat motion rather than one of those rockin' & rollin' ones you get with quartering heavy seas.

I hope this answers your question. :cool: I don't know if I'd want to be out in 25++++ knots, this was more than enough. But it also reflects my belief that it's not so much the wind, but the waves that'll getcha. We've sailed in winds just as high in The Bay, but the water is much, much flatter, even on an ebb against the wind. Ocean sailing is completely different. The fetch is way longer and the swells under the wind waves makes for a completely different experience.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Well, sure you can. If the wind is heavy and you have a dodger (and mine's a low dodger), with no main sail up I've done it successfully. 25 knot true wind speed, seas 7 feet at 7 seconds,
That was one of the first safety practices we did when we first got our boat.
We hove to in about ≈2 boat lengths in 10 knot true winds (new bottom paint). The JIB did the work, we stopped before I could set the main on Hunter's B&R rig. I don't count on our dodger for safety, with the center window zipped open.:rolleyes:
Jim...

PS: You should practice "come about" for man-overboard drills too!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
If someone is steering the boat are you really hove-to? I wasn't there but I have to believe that your jib was not truly backwinded and was lifting the boat. I can drop my main, roll my Genoa to a scrap (maybe .50 J) and slowly sail to wind IF I steer. We practice the heave to in +20kt winds because we figure this is where we will need it. We can heave-to (wheel locked, crew below) with main and some genoa at <20kts, and above 25kts with main alone, no genoa.

The other thing here is that every boat seems to have the optimum amount of head sail rolled out to properly hove to. I have never seen a modern fin keel boat heave to on a full genoa.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If someone is steering the boat are you really hove-to? I wasn't there but I have to believe that your jib was not truly backwinded and was lifting the boat. I can drop my main, roll my Genoa to a scrap (maybe .50 J) and slowly sail to wind IF I steer. We practice the heave to in +20kt winds because we figure this is where we will need it. We can heave-to (wheel locked, crew below) with main and some genoa at <20kts, and above 25kts with main alone, no genoa.

The other thing here is that every boat seems to have the optimum amount of head sail rolled out to properly hove to. I have never seen a modern fin keel boat heave to on a full genoa.
The last time I hove to the Bavaria was in the San Pedro Channel at 20+ kt some years ago just to see if I could get her to lie properly; I was single-handing. Short of it--I had to sheet the partially furled, backwinded jib (furled to 100%) to a block inboard of the shrouds then to the halyard winch on the house to make it work. The boat did heave to and did not bear away; I did not have to steer as the wheel was locked down. I believe the main was up but not trimmed.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Well folks, I almost hate to tell you this after all the great input I received but in the end the 25kt winds that were forecast didn't materialize and I motor-sailed all the way home. With that said, it was a gorgeous day and I enjoyed a peaceful run across the strait reading Moitessier and thanking God I wasn't in the office.

Thanks for all your input. Your answers validated some of what I assumed and gave me some new ideas as well.