Handling Issues while docking

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Too kind. As Les may attest, I was HORRIBLE in Ganges in July. Simply horrible, starboard side to, being blown off the dock. Bull rails. The savior was the deck hand who muscled me in.

Honesty...:)
Stu, have you tried a single tie to your primary winch? The geometery of the C34 is very similar to a C30 so it is likely the correct location. If someone is on the dock to give you a hand you can throw them a spring line that is looped over the winch which they can take a wrap on the Bull rail. Once I have that one line to the dock, I am secure.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Hayden, I understand, and do so on my port side where I have a permanent spring line (used at my slip). I should just get less lazy and rig one on starboard, too. :(:solame::kick::)

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Too kind. As Les may attest, I was HORRIBLE in Ganges in July. Simply horrible, starboard side to, being blown off the dock. Bull rails. The savior was the deck hand who muscled me in.

Honesty...:)
Stu - what happens on a cruise stays on the cruise. I’m not one to kiss and tell (unless it’s really a good story)

Les

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Ward, on my Mk2 C30 the docking pivot point is the primary winch. I have a line with a spliced eye on one end and a large loop on the other. The length between the eyes is such that when it is stretched tight my bow pulpit is 18" from the power pedestal when it is on the aft-most cleat on my finger pier. When docking I drop the spliced eye on the winch and use the boat hook to drop the big loop over the dock cleat. I came in this past week with 10+ knots of wind 90º off the dock and single tied with no drama. the only change to my normal procedure was that I needed about 1200 rpms to pull it over to the dock instead of the normal idle.
Hayden,
In this photo
IMG_2271.jpg
the piling with the white bumper is forward of the winch and the track cleat I mounted on the genoa track.
When I tried using the cleat or winch, the boat pivoted on this piling, pushing the bow to port. That's why I was a bit confused, multiple people has said to use the winch but in my case it didn't work.
Thanks

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That is a great image. I can see the geometry and the abilities that meet your specific needs.
  1. In part you want to stop the bow from going to port. By putting the attachment where you did you are pulling the bow to starboard as the boat is powered forward. You can enhance the boat against the pilings by turning the rudder to Port forcing the stern to starboard. Nice.
  2. You are also able to control how far the boat is allowed to advance into the slip. Nice.
  3. Only issue is the limit to the line by the stanchions where the line is trapped beneath the life line and between two wide stanchions. But I appears that is a low risk in the way you are using it.
Nice application.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Hayden,
In this photo
View attachment 156279
the piling with the white bumper is forward of the winch and the track cleat I mounted on the genoa track.
When I tried using the cleat or winch, the boat pivoted on this piling, pushing the bow to port. That's why I was a bit confused, multiple people has said to use the winch but in my case it didn't work.
Thanks
I am moored on a 32' finger pier with port side tie when bow-in so I am on the opposite side. Not sure if that matters. The primary thing is to find something that works for your boat. On Papillon, I tried a single line tie to my mid-ship springline cleats but that turned to bow to port or into the pier. I tried the stern cleat but that swung the bow to starboard or away from the pier. On the winch, with wheel centered and in forward at an idle, the boat is parallel to the pier and I can use the rudder to bring the bow closer or farther from the pier.
The only problem I have had so far is if I am moving too fast when the winch line comes tight, it will swing the bow to port and take some extra revs to bring it back. I try to use the prop to control speed so it just gently comes tight and then shift into forward to maintain position.

Apr 26, 2018
Catalina Catalina 30 Bayview
Dear Ward, glad you figured it out. I finally got some pics of my set up.
E770A02A-BFE1-48E3-BF84-7531CA3E2A8B.jpeg

4AB8EFD1-46D0-4E83-AC00-51EBE0AE59DA.jpeg

It works well