H31 Composting Head

Jul 24, 2012
Hunter H31 Saint John NB CA
I'm thinking about upgrading my holding tank system on my 1986 Hunter 31 to a composting head system. Has anyone else done this?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I looked at it carefully on our 1983 model. After considering all 3 major suppliers, and building a mock-up of the smallest one (the C-Head), we decided there just wasn't enough room.

I was really disappointed, as I am convinced it is the way to go. Other people disagree.

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
There is definitely not enough room. On my 1984 model, I resealed the tank under the v-berth, changed the hoses to PVC sch 40 (on this particular model if you run the PVC carefully you will achieve gravity drain, i.e. the waste tank discharge is slightly above the thruhull, so you need no pump and no T-valve), then switched to fresh water flush. I can positively confirm there is no order now.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
The ones I have seen are too deep for the H31 head. I had to change out the porta-potti in mine for a smaller one so that my wife could shut the head door when in use.

How it was when we got her.

2017-06-21 20.56.29.jpg

After the restoration.

2017-07-08 14.33.20.jpg

You can see I got almost 7" more floor space.

The Air Head, and Nature's Head both seem to be much deeper.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Nice looking head renovation! And it looks like you went with the MSD version of your portapotty.

Pizzazz, by "then switched to fresh water flush" I hope you meant that you replaced the toilet with one designed to use pressurized fresh water...that you didn't just connect a sea water toilet to your freshwater plumbing, 'cuz that's a major no-no that every toilet mfr specifically warns against because it risks both bacteria and sea water contaminating your fresh water supply.
--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Jul 24, 2012
Hunter H31 Saint John NB CA
Peggie, I have looked at 3 different composting heads (Air Head, C Head and Natures Head). Are you aware
of any others I should be considering?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I think what you've done is just fine...compact, uses very water, -0- maintenance...easier to empty than any "composter" 'cuz it can be pumped out instead of having to carry the contents off the boat. Who could ask for more?
--Peggie

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
Pizzazz, by "then switched to fresh water flush" I hope you meant...
I went the sink drain route per your earlier recommendations. It is a little difficult to explain to new comers or kids that they need to wash their hands first then pump to drain the sink but eventually they get it. When I ran low on fresh water I switch to salt water until the next I fill up the tank.

Thank you,
Pizzazz

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Oooops....that's not how it's supposed to work. Only CLEAN water should go through the toilet pump...soap scum, body oils etc in gray water will build up in the pump and cause problems. Even clean soapy water can strip out lubrication.
Sea water only stinks when it's allowed to sit and stagnate in the system while the boat sits. The whole idea behind teeing into the sink drain line is to prevent that from happening by providing a safe source of clean fresh water to rinse it all out before leaving the boat so that can't happen. So except for those rare (in most waters anyway) times when you wander into really skanky waters, there's no need to flush with fresh water all the times as long as you run a sinkful of clean water through the toilet as part of your closing-up-the-boat routine. Or, if you're determined to flush with fresh water all the time and you have enough to spare for toilet flushing, consider replacing your toilet with the only MANUAL toilet designed to use pressurized fresh water--the Raritan Fresh Head Raritan FRESH_HEADpromo.pdf

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein