Genoa track for O'Day 25 or 26

timlho

Aug 9, 2020
O'Day 26 Baltimore
I have a 1985 O'Day 26 and aftr buying new 150 furling genoa decided I need to correct the bad trim due to poorly placed aft genoa track and am going to install new one forward of coaming. Ive read all the other postings about this, but really just want to see pics of anybodys boat from someone who has already done this so I can get better idea of placement.

Thanks to anybody that can help me here. :)

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

These threads show pics and posts on genoa track location on a similar O'Day sailboat that might be helpful.

timlho

Aug 9, 2020
O'Day 26 Baltimore
The block up by the shrouds is set for working jib. The track back aft isnt useful except for when sailing a spinaker. Ive had ny 26 for 20 years and am tired of having such bad sail trim and am going to put down proper genoa tracks and would just love to see how anybody else has placed them. Many have discussed doing this here in this forum, but no pictures have been posted. Onr person wrote they laid track from where that jib block is located to around 4 inches from cockpit coming. Someone must have done this who has a pic. Sure hope so! :)

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Back in 2016n I replaced the OEM standup block with a jib track for more trim control on my 1980 O'day 25.
I positioned the track as far aft as possible while keeping the proper lead into the winch. I might have been to extend the track further aft if I had been willing to add more blocks to lead the sheet around and up to the Genoa track and then to the winch but that would add quite a bit of friction for little benefit.

Attached is a photo of the new track.

IMG_0552.JPG

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I can take a pic later this week. To be honest I used the spinnaker track with a block for my genoa. Cars are about to be installed on the proper tracks

@Ward H That is by far the cleanest 25 I've ever seen

timlho

Aug 9, 2020
O'Day 26 Baltimore
That is exactly what I was looking for! :). So you sometimes use aft track (spinnaker track) for Genoa too? I never get a good angle back there, that's why I so need a forward track. Thanks so very much and if you do get more pics, I'd love to see. I'm gonna lay mine down just like yours! Thanks - Tim

timlho

Aug 9, 2020
O'Day 26 Baltimore
Oh, another question. Did you just drill through interior hull liner, using washers as backing for thru bolts? I see no other way...

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
My boat came with both the genoa and spinnaker tracks. There should be an access hole on the port side of your boat. You'll need to remove that and the plywood covering the stern on the port side in order to access those bolts. So far that has been the most difficult item to rebed even though I added a second access hole. Starboard side isn't bad.

My genoa track is bolted through the deck and liner. I don't think the genoa was supposed to go to the spinnaker track but I really wanted to get the boat into the water for the first time and I couldn't find the cars. I'll be installing them when I rebed the forward tracks. Please let me know if you need pics of anything specific. I'll probably be at the yard tomorrow morning

timlho

Aug 9, 2020
O'Day 26 Baltimore
Any pics you could share of where the tracks are located and how they look from inside the cabin will be very helpful indeed!

My 26 has a full hull liner and I'd love to see how yours are thru bolted. I've had this boat for 20 years and I'm so look g forward to actually being able to sale this boat correctly with good trim. I'm simply gonna copy what your boat has. Thanks! Tim

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Oh, another question. Did you just drill through interior hull liner, using washers as backing for thru bolts? I see no other way...
Yep, drilled through to liner, plug holes and potted with epoxy, drilled again and used butyl tape to seal. I used oversized, thick washers under the nuts.
I sold the boat 3 years ago so no chance for more photos, sorry.
So you sometimes use aft track (spinnaker track) for Genoa too?
My boat came with a 150 and 135. I'd use the aft track when flying the 150 but normally I used the 135. the 150 was more than I needed. I installed the track while waiting for a new 110 jib. The designers of the 110 helped guide me to the location of the track.

timlho

Aug 9, 2020
O'Day 26 Baltimore
Great. I just got a new furling 150 and think I'd use the forward track for all genoa settings and just use aft tracks for cruising spinnaker. :)

I could never get a good upwind trim angle for my previous sale ever!

timlho

Aug 9, 2020
O'Day 26 Baltimore
Definitely no hurry! We have snow! No sailing yet!

I appreciate your help very, very, Very much!

Tim

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Here are some measurements. If you need anymore feel free to ask. The 1/4-20 screws are either 1.5 or 2". I'm leaning more towards 2 and will try to verify this weekend

Attachments

timlho

Aug 9, 2020
O'Day 26 Baltimore
Wow that is just awesome! Im gonna study those photos hard!
Just to get this together in my mind, you drilled through the deck and interior hull liner using big washers as backing for bolts. Is that correct?

Thanks so very, very much! Its nice knowing that there are such helpful people like you out there!

Tim

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The tracks were there when I bought the boat three years ago. If you look carefully, you can see where the original block was.

I'm in the middle of a re-bedding project. I've been doubling up fender washers and/or using flange nuts to help spread the load.

I'm pretty sure that area in the deck is cored. I wasn't able to verify that the screws are 2" since I had already reinstalled the track but that seems to be a commonly used size for fastening through the deck on this boat

@Ward H I assume a stopper knot was tied a few feet from the end of your jib sheet. Did you need to do anything to prevent the tail from going overboard?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Yep, I put a stopper knot at the end of all my jib sheets and most other lines that may run through a block.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Yes, a stopper knot is a must. I assume you put one in the sheet a few feet away from the end of the line so you didn't have to reach over the coaming when you want to tack?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
I assume you put one in the sheet a few feet away from the end of the line so you didn't have to reach over the coaming when you want to tack?
I keep my sheets long enough that there is always length in the cockpit. The stopper knots are just in case a line gets away from me. They are at the end of the sheet. Of course, this is definitely a Your Boat, Your Choice thing.