Genoa track on Oday 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2006
- - -
I noticed in this site's boat review section, several owners mentioned that they had added a genoa track to their O'day 26s. I would be interested in finding out more information on this project, but the reviewers are listed by their real names, not user names, so I don't know how to contact them. Can anyone give me more details concerning the placement of the tracks? Should they be installed inboard or outboard? We have a 140% furling genoa. How far back should we mount the track? Also, how do lead the jib sheet to the winch? The "step up" to the sidedeck from the cockpit seems to cause a problem when trying to lead the sheet straight back to the winch. Did you have to use a cheek block on the coaming? Any photos of this project would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
I noticed in this site's boat review section, several owners mentioned that they had added a genoa track to their O'day 26s. I would be interested in finding out more information on this project, but the reviewers are listed by their real names, not user names, so I don't know how to contact them. Can anyone give me more details concerning the placement of the tracks? Should they be installed inboard or outboard? We have a 140% furling genoa. How far back should we mount the track? Also, how do lead the jib sheet to the winch? The "step up" to the sidedeck from the cockpit seems to cause a problem when trying to lead the sheet straight back to the winch. Did you have to use a cheek block on the coaming? Any photos of this project would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.
I have a O'Day 26. My boat has standard deck mounted block and standard outboard of cockpit on the outside of gunnell mounted tracks with moving car mounted block. This was conventional on most O'Day 25's and 26's, although I saw a 26 without a track outside of cockpit. Understand that the 26 was just an updated 25. So most answers for the 25 apply to the 26. I have no problem running sheets from deck block on my 130 Genoa or when running using the rail mounted block. No pictures.

Ed K

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
You may have to do a trial and error set up with sheaves and ropes in order to find the perfect placement for your tracks and cars on the combings. This is what I had to do on my O'Day 222 back in 1986 when I bought it new. The tracks/cars and winches were supposed to be on the cabin on my boat and I had them left off at the factory when the boat was being built. I didn't have a furler back then, but luckily my tracks seem to accommodate my CDI Furler today. At the time, I figured that the car should be placed so that the sheet coming from it to the clew of the Gennie would intersect the center of the luff of the sail, if you drew an imaginary line from the clew to the luff. In other words, this imaginary line would divide the sail in half at the luff. So, if you were to reef your Gennie, you would need to move your car forward to get the same sail configuration by either the placement of the track, or a longer track. I took my boat out on a light air day and did some trial and error placement of the sheet and was able to come up with a perfect placement of my tracks and winches. One other thing that I did that I shall never regret doing, was to place an open clam cleat directly behind each of my Gennie winches for snubbing my sheets. I recommend this highly to anyone who likes to single hand a sailboat regardless of size. Please disregard that small cheek block behind the black clam cleat in the picture. This cheek block was part of a self steering modification that I had installed on my boat years ago that didn't quite work out. I removed both of these small cheek block last fall and plan on filling the bolt holes this coming spring.
Joe

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.