finding/creating more storage space...

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I have found on all 3 sailboats I have owned, that there is always more space available in the hull of the boat than is accessable.
it seems that the bigger the boat, the more space can be found...
on our Cal 34-3, there was a panel screwed to the wall behind the head, covering a small hole for the access to the hose and clamps to the deck pumpout fitting and vent.
the usable space behind this panel is 30"Long, 20"High and 15"Deep....

also there were swinging doors below the sink/vanity counter... this left 36-40 inches of room under the vanity counter towards the outside of the boat that could not be seen into or even easily reached in any way... the space had the shelves already installed, but just not accessable.....

as shown in the photos, you can see my remedy to the problems... I cut the access hole behind the head bigger built a door that would allow easy access and also installed a shelf.

under the sink/vanity counter I removed 1 door, and cut the opening larger, then framed it with mahogany... we now have a lot of storage in the head area....
and i also added a bathroom fan...

then I opened up some room under the nav station, behind the drawers.... a space 12X14 and 24 inches tall... and I am in the process of building a door for the cutout which is on the settee side of the nav station.

(also, I have never understood why there was no seat back between the galley and the dinette.... when setting there it becomes uncomfortable after awhile, and when the dinette is made down into a bed, the pillows keep sliding out, so i filled it in.
my plan is to install a swing up counter top for a bit more counter space when cooking and the dinette table is not available)...

in this boat there is two sets of sliding drawers, 1 set in the v-berth and 1 set under the nav station... i have found that there was a lot of hidden space under the bottom drawer in both of them...in this space there is mounted to the liner, 12v power distribution/jct blocks (easy access to the lighting and other 12v circuits).
so I built a removable false floor in both of them so that we could use the space for storage.... we just need to slide the drawer all the way out to access it.... but its still more convenient than going to one of the bins in the lazerette.

I will confess that we dont have the boat so full that we have all the space filled up, or even half of the space filled up, but if ever we need the space we now have it available.

all the other space is either under the quarter berth, under the v-berth, or under the cockpit/lazerette which is a lot of room but they are all a PIA to get at (except for whats on top in the lazerette)...
I plan to cut the v/berth cushions in half so I can get to the three different compartments without needing to shift all the bedding and remove an entire cushion.
the v-berth in the Cal 34-3 is almost 8' wide at the aft end, 30" wide at the fore end and 6'7" long... and the cushions are 5" thick, High density foam, made in two pieces (divided lengthwise)... very heavy and bulky to try and access the storage compartments below them and it would be so much easier lifting a quarter of a cushion rather than trying to lift a full half.

Attachments

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
When I rebuilt my Islander 30 I stripped it to a bare hull and rebuilt the interior to provide access to every square inch of the interior of the hull. There are drawers under the settees and they can be removed to access the space beneath.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I have found on all 3 sailboats I have owned, that there is always more space available in the hull of the boat than is accessable. it seems that the bigger the boat, the more space can be found... on our Cal 34-3, there was a panel screwed to the wall behind the head, covering a small hole for the access to the hose and clamps to the deck pumpout fitting and vent. the usable space behind this panel is 30"Long, 20"High and 15"Deep.... also there were swinging doors below the sink/vanity counter... this left 36-40 inches of room under the vanity counter towards the outside of the boat that could not be seen into or even easily reached in any way... the space had the shelves already installed, but just not accessable..... as shown in the photos, you can see my remedy to the problems... I cut the access hole behind the head bigger built a door that would allow easy access and also installed a shelf. under the sink/vanity counter I removed 1 door, and cut the opening larger, then framed it with mahogany... we now have a lot of storage in the head area.... and i also added a bathroom fan... then I opened up some room under the nav station, behind the drawers.... a space 12X14 and 24 inches tall... and I am in the process of building a door for the cutout which is on the settee side of the nav station. (also, I have never understood why there was no seat back between the galley and the dinette.... when setting there it becomes uncomfortable after awhile, and when the dinette is made down into a bed, the pillows keep sliding out, so i filled it in. my plan is to install a swing up counter top for a bit more counter space when cooking and the dinette table is not available)... in this boat there is two sets of sliding drawers, 1 set in the v-berth and 1 set under the nav station... i have found that there was a lot of hidden space under the bottom drawer in both of them...in this space there is mounted to the liner, 12v power distribution/jct blocks (easy access to the lighting and other 12v circuits). so I built a removable false floor in both of them so that we could use the space for storage.... we just need to slide the drawer all the way out to access it.... but its still more convenient than going to one of the bins in the lazerette. I will confess that we dont have the boat so full that we have all the space filled up, or even half of the space filled up, but if ever we need the space we now have it available. all the other space is either under the quarter berth, under the v-berth, or under the cockpit/lazerette which is a lot of room but they are all a PIA to get at (except for whats on top in the lazerette)... I plan to cut the v/berth cushions in half so I can get to the three different compartments without needing to shift all the bedding and remove an entire cushion. the v-berth in the Cal 34-3 is almost 8' wide at the aft end, 30" wide at the fore end and 6'7" long... and the cushions are 5" thick, High density foam, made in two pieces (divided lengthwise)... very heavy and bulky to try and access the storage compartments below them and it would be so much easier lifting a quarter of a cushion rather than trying to lift a full half.
the big elephant in the room is how do you remember what you put in these spaces?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Dave,

There are two ways to do it:

1. write it down

2. remember it - most everything on my boat is where I first put it (1998), the "system" seemed to work, harder to read cubbyholes got engine spares, closer ones got FOOD!!!

I know #2 works just fine, except when I move something to a "better place" in which case I NEVER can find it. :)

One of my boat logs had a great form to use. I have ended up using two more log books since then...

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Dave,

There are two ways to do it:

1. write it down

2. remember it - most everything on my boat is where I first put it (1998), the "system" seemed to work, harder to read cubbyholes got engine spares, closer ones got FOOD!!!

I know #2 works just fine, except when I move something to a "better place" in which case I NEVER can find it. :)

One of my boat logs had a great form to use. I have ended up using two more log books since then...
there is an app for the i phone that you can use and record where all your stuff is..... its made for boats .... and has a search feature

Mar 20, 2012
how do you remember what you put in these spaces?
in the book "Gypsy Moth circles the World" (which is an absolutely great book) by Francis Chichester, he wrote how he made a "map" of the hull and all the available storage areas, and then made an index of what is stored where... I have copied that idea and have a a fairly well mapped out storage system.

but ive also kinda incorporated the same system Stu Jackson speaks about... I put the engine parts near the engine, the food near the galley, the extra clothes near the v-berth, toilet items and cleaning chemicals in the head area, ect.
this is using some common sense and helps to let anyone know what part of the boat they should be in when they start rummaging thru lockers.
also, in the style of storing, as Stu mentioned he does, usually when I store something for the first time in the boat, that is where I always seem to want to look for it, even if I decided to move it to another area at some point.... but with some thought involved before putting it away, it will be placed in the correct compartment the first time, so it never has to be moved elsewhere later.:D

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Dave, There are two ways to do it: 1. write it down 2. remember it - most everything on my boat is where I first put it (1998), the "system" seemed to work, harder to read cubbyholes got engine spares, closer ones got FOOD!!! I know #2 works just fine, except when I move something to a "better place" in which case I NEVER can find it. :) One of my boat logs had a great form to use. I have ended up using two more log books since then...
i just go to the store and buy another one :>)

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I will get something like that all arranged to my liking..

Then my wife will spend some time in the same area and completely re-arrange everything so that I have no idea where stuff is anymore.

Small price to pay..:)

Mar 20, 2012
I will get something like that all arranged to my liking..

Then my wife will spend some time in the same area and completely re-arrange everything so that I have no idea where stuff is anymore.

Small price to pay..:)
your wife is no dummy, she knows how to create her own job security:D....

Jun 8, 2004
Pearson 26W Marblehead
storage space my 2c

On a long cruise the extra storage space is needed. For short cruises or day sailing its a liability. The more stuff you add, the more weight you add. Slows you down

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I have found on all 3 sailboats I have owned, that there is always more space available in the hull of the boat than is accessable.
it seems that the bigger the boat, the more space can be found...
on our Cal 34-3, there was a panel screwed to the wall behind the head, covering a small hole for the access to the hose and clamps to the deck pumpout fitting and vent.
the usable space behind this panel is 30"Long, 20"High and 15"Deep....
This is true, but almost exclusively for older boats.

Before boats and interiors were modeled with 3D CAD systems, areas (more correctly volumes) of space were lost because the space was not accounted for. It was too easy to lose area in the conversion from 2D drawings to 3D product.

This very rarely happens in new boats; the 3D design process now accounts for lost volumes.

Mar 20, 2012
This is true, but almost exclusively for older boats.

Before boats and interiors were modeled with 3D CAD systems, areas (more correctly volumes) of space were lost because the space was not accounted for. It was too easy to lose area in the conversion from 2D drawings to 3D product.

This very rarely happens in new boats; the 3D design process now accounts for lost volumes.
I kinda wondered if this was not the case on the newer boats... as you say, with the programs available for designing the space, there is no reason for there to be any lost area as it can be found and adjusted out into a storage compartment before it ever goes into production.
space has always been so precious on mid sized boats that it surprised me at the amount of "lost" area that has been hidden for so many years on so many boats.

but then, I suppose that "space being precious" is only relative to what the owners use for the boat is. I know some owners of fairly large boats have very little need of storage in their boat due to the very light/little usage of it.... and yet most owners of small boats pack everything they could ever need and many of the things they will never need in to the small space of their tiny boats.... Ironic!:D

Nov 8, 2010
but then, I suppose that "space being precious" is only relative to what the owners use for the boat is. I know some owners of fairly large boats have very little need of storage in their boat due to the very light/little usage of it.... and yet most owners of small boats pack everything they could ever need and many of the things they will never need in to the small space of their tiny boats.... Ironic!:D
Very true!

You even start to see builders capitalize on that fact; and design interior space to factor in use patterns. The new Oceanis 38 can come as a fairly typical 3 stateroom boat, or you can have it as a daysailor; with just that open vee to catch an afternoon catnap after lunch.

Mar 20, 2012
Very true!

You even start to see builders capitalize on that fact; and design interior space to factor in use patterns. The new Oceanis 38 can come as a fairly typical 3 stateroom boat, or you can have it as a daysailor; with just that open vee to catch an afternoon catnap after lunch.

thats nice. lots of open room there, but no privacy if you are cruising with another couple...

I sure wish I had a lens like that for my camera.... it allows for a much better view of the interior, even though it does deceptively, make it look voluminous.

Nov 8, 2010
thats nice. lots of open room there, but no privacy if you are cruising with another couple...

I sure wish I had a lens like that for my camera.... it allows for a much better view of the interior, even though it does deceptively, make it look voluminous.
Here's the trick. Its convertible. If you have 5 minutes, watch this video. Make sure it in HD, and turn up the music. Its easy to see why there is a year+ waiting list for this boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH36pIM5sx4

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Meh. Boats like that Beneteau Oceanus 38 (and it's associated advertising) really tick me off.

It implies you have a boat like that, you get a hottie little blonde like that. Since I can't afford one of those boat EVAR, guess I don't get the hottie little blonde either… :cry::cry::cry:

Nov 8, 2010
Meh. Boats like that Beneteau Oceanus 38 (and it's associated advertising) really tick me off.

It implies you have a boat like that, you get a hottie little blonde like that. Since I can't afford one of those boat EVAR, guess I don't get the hottie little blonde either… :cry::cry::cry:
Brian, I think you missed the point.

It's HER boat.

;^)

Plus, in my many years of sailing, I have found VERY LITTLE correlation between the hotness of a chick on a sailboat the the value of said boat.

Powerboats, different story.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
One can always dream!

Sorry, I just got a healthy bit of class resentment brewing, I guess…

Truth is, I'm also a retro-grouch, and while a boat like that would certainly be nice, I just don't like the looks of it too much. Still stuck in the designs of the late 80's, I guess… Which actually isn't all that retro, is it? :D:D:D

Brian, I think you missed the point.

It's HER boat.

;^)