False bilge issue Hunter 34

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
You will not believe the huge difference this makes untill you really flush out all of that crud that has been there for the past 30 plus years. Did mine a few years back, and virtually no faul odors anymore.

Jun 24, 2019
Hunter 34 CFB Trenton
Just finished this on my H34. The plywood was rotten but I guess being frozen for a third of it's life means it hadn't decomposed into sludge. I don't see the point of painting the new bottom though, other than aesthetics, because the rest of the inner hull space is unpainted. That being said, If I ever have some paint hanging around I'll coat it for sure.

Mar 4, 2009
Hunter 31 Jacksonville
Guys... I realized I never posted my finished pics.... I saw others on Facebook looking to do the same thing and reminded me... here is the painted bottom from two years ago. And the smell has not returned. Thanks again for everyone's help! Rick

Attachments

Jul 27, 2020
Hunter 34 Kingston
Just started new winter project false bilge issue. Have owned this boat senses 1983 well Over 30 plus years with this false bilge issue. I have always kept the bilge clean, always flushing it with fresh water and cleaning products every weekend.
I never could get rid of this foul odor that seemed to come from the bilge no mater how clean it was. I found a post on this site about false bilge and think I have finally solved the mystery. After probing the bilge liner (aka false bilge) I drilled a small hole into the liner and found that water was trapped between the hull and liner. Used a right angle Dremel tool to cut out the bottom of thr bilge liner and removed it. Found under the false bilge a 30 plus year old piece of rotted ply wood along with 30 plus years of the most disgusting layer of sludge. The odor of that sludge was horrific. After flushing the area with bleach and other cleaning products the odor seams to be gone. Next stage will be to paint the area with bilge paint and reinstall the bilge pump and float switch in the spring. A few weeks after I started the project so far no more odors. Looks like the mystery has finally been solved!
I know it has been a while since this post but I was wondering how everything turned out. I just purchased a 1984 Hunter and have a brown smelly liquid coming up from the bottom of the bilage. I was wondering if removing the false bottom and cleaning helped eliminate the foul smell.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
This is definitely one of the best and cheapest ways to remove the smell. I used a 2 1/2 inch hole saw with a center drill to start the holes, then removed the center drill to finish the holes. Unless you boat has been leak proof for decades, you will probably find lots of debris, dirty water, etc. Vacuum it out, then go sailing and let the water flow from other compartments into the bilge, repeat... The add bilge cleaner and more water and go sailing. This will help clean out other sub floor areas. Maybe pour diluted bilge cleaner through the bottom by putting it into the holes floor by the forward sink under the cabin sole.

We found leaks in several places 1st, the drain pipe from the anchor locker had split draining rain under the v berth and flowing aft.

The gaskets under the deck plates for the water and pump out we rotted out leaving a black mold on the white pipes over the forward sink and in the head.

Many of the ports leaked, but easy to check with a friend and a hose.

The last leak appears to be coming in from the companion way. I placed a tarp over the companion way and now have a completely dry bilge. I'm working with SBO to design a companion way cover for the H34. They are backed up so it probably won't be done until Sept. but at about $220!

We also replaced the holding tank due to a broken nipple and all related hoses. And since we only sail on the Chesapeake Bay and can't discharge overboard, we've sealed the head through hull for offloading and removed the hand pump and extra hoses.

more pictures of the work are here. You can also see the work designing a template for the companion way cover.

Jul 27, 2020
Hunter 34 Kingston
This is definitely one of the best and cheapest ways to remove the smell. I used a 2 1/2 inch hole saw with a center drill to start the holes, then removed the center drill to finish the holes. Unless you boat has been leak proof for decades, you will probably find lots of debris, dirty water, etc. Vacuum it out, then go sailing and let the water flow from other compartments into the bilge, repeat... The add bilge cleaner and more water and go sailing. This will help clean out other sub floor areas. Maybe pour diluted bilge cleaner through the bottom by putting it into the holes floor by the forward sink under the cabin sole.

We found leaks in several places 1st, the drain pipe from the anchor locker had split draining rain under the v berth and flowing aft.

The gaskets under the deck plates for the water and pump out we rotted out leaving a black mold on the white pipes over the forward sink and in the head.

Many of the ports leaked, but easy to check with a friend and a hose.

The last leak appears to be coming in from the companion way. I placed a tarp over the companion way and now have a completely dry bilge. I'm working with SBO to design a companion way cover for the H34. They are backed up so it probably won't be done until Sept. but at about $220!

We also replaced the holding tank due to a broken nipple and all related hoses. And since we only sail on the Chesapeake Bay and can't discharge overboard, we've sealed the head through hull for offloading and removed the hand pump and extra hoses.

more pictures of the work are here. You can also see the work designing a template for the companion way cover.
Thanks for the information. and wow.. you have done a lot of amazing work on your Hunter. did you change the 12vdc lights in the V-Birth as well. They look like LED's, if you dont saying, where did you get them?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
Thanks for the information. and wow.. you have done a lot of amazing work on your Hunter. did you change the 12vdc lights in the V-Birth as well. They look like LED's, if you dont saying, where did you get them?
I got them from Amazon - "RV Reading Lights Boats RVs Camper Motorhome Interior Lighting LED Upgrading, Old Lamp Replacement Light with Stainless Plate Cover
Brand: Obeaming" $24 each and they are great, completely dimmable and easy to install.