Eye Splice double-braid

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The dyneema (single braid) eye splice is a completely different animal.... and simpler by far.... than the polyester double braid eye splice. If you haven't already, I recommend printing out the instructions from the Samson Ropes website's splicing guide for quick reference while working.

Also, Meriachee's comment about "coming out and going back in" is very helpful.... it allows you to use a slightly smaller fid or to get and size fid through the thick, tight section.

Dec 1, 2020
CAL 27 Illahee / Brownsville WA
My testing Dyneema (1/4" red) and double-braid (3/8") arrived. After reading how I needed a special tool to cut the Dyneema I was figuring my old SS rigging knife would fail a test cut. But it sliced through the taped end no issue. I guess it may dull quickly but at least I don't need to purchase anything else.

Dec 1, 2020
The D-Splicer is my go to tool for dealing with dynema line.
Rick, I did a zoom meeting with some Catalina sailboat owners about 6 months ago, showing them how I tied the Toss Soft shackle. Would that be of interest to you?
JSailem - thanks for the zoom offer. I may take you up on it at a later point after attempting some testing splices.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I don't need to purchase anything else.
That is a true statement.
My first few cuts were with my favorite EDC and went just like that right through the line.

Have a sharpening stone or other tool to put the edge back on the blade near by. Using a dull blade is a sure path to cutting yourself.

Oct 22, 2014
Wow scissors made from Kevlar
I can understand the confusion. English is such a difficult language to master :biggrin:. I think the technical writers error was to ignore the use of comas. I believe the intent was to suggest that the shears can "cut" kevlar, fiber optic cable, Carbon Fiber, etc.

They must have been in such a rush to post the AMAZON add that editing the text was furthest from their mind. I have learned that it is a real thing in the fast paced world of Amazon selling from a person engaged in the promotion/marketing of Amazon products.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Out of similar frustration with regular fids, I made my own fid out of a hanger, so that instead of pushing the inner through the outer, I could thread the hanger through in the opposite direction, then pull the core through. The hanger is just folded in half so that the line may be pinched/taped. Made splicing a lot easier for me.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I would like to understand how the fine folk at FedEx can transport a box from the other side of the globe in 5 hours, and it has sat in the local distribution centre, 25 minutes away, for a week?

Dec 1, 2020
Made my first attempt at splicing. Decided to try a soft-shackle using the Dyneema. Followed the guidelines on L36 (Better Soft Shackle) for the basic process and their calculator using fractional inches then switched to Premium Rope (https://www.premiumropes.com/splicing-rope/splicing-instruction-videos) for how to tie the Diamond knot.

Took a few mis-steps but in about 1-hour got to this point. I think it looks about correct. Did not tighten or trim the ends to allow disassembly and re-trying again.

Getting the diamond knot down close to the two ends coming out of the core took a few tries.

Doing this with 1/4" was probably a mistake. Thought this would be an easier size to work with but it's felt sort of "big" when handling it.

Thought and suggestions welcome.

IMG_2420.jpg
IMG_2420.jpgIMG_2421.jpgIMG_2422.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
That looks like it will work.
Are you pleased with the process and the knot?

Now comes the testing time. Only way to be satisfied. Take it out and put it to work.

Oct 22, 2014
1/4 inch dyneema is a good size to work with. Plenty strong for most sailing tasks. Extra thickness gives you reserve fibers in the event you encounter some chafe in the task you choose for the knot.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Made my first attempt at splicing. Decided to try a soft-shackle using the Dyneema. Followed the guidelines on L36 (Better Soft Shackle) for the basic process and their calculator using fractional inches then switched to Premium Rope (https://www.premiumropes.com/splicing-rope/splicing-instruction-videos) for how to tie the Diamond knot.

Took a few mis-steps but in about 1-hour got to this point. I think it looks about correct. Did not tighten or trim the ends to allow disassembly and re-trying again.

Getting the diamond knot down close to the two ends coming out of the core took a few tries.

Doing this with 1/4" was probably a mistake. Thought this would be an easier size to work with but it's felt sort of "big" when handling it.

Thought and suggestions welcome.

View attachment 188825View attachment 188825View attachment 188826View attachment 188827
How did you tighten the diamond knot? I have used winches, once connected a new shackle to a motor lift and used the hydraulic arm to tension it. Having the knot rock hard seems to be a key with that shackle functioning.

Oct 22, 2014
Having the knot rock hard seems to be a key with that shackle functioning.
That may be important for the diamond knot.
Tightening the knot involves moving the loops of the knot around, tightening each loop as much as possible (called working the knot). Then you can attach the ends of the running line to a vice and the shackle loop to a line to a winch and pull.
Finally, the knot is finished by cutting the running ends short. Dyneema does not melt and seal the ends like Dacron. So the end tend to fuzz. Some choose to wrap the ends to keep them neat and prevent the knot from unraveling

These are issues with the diamond knot.

Brian Toss invented his version and resolved these issues. No fuzz, no cutting, no whipping and the knot need only be firm not rock hard. In testing he found that no difference was identified between rock hard and semi loose knots in breaking strength of the closed Toss soft shackle.

Dec 1, 2020
John, my next attempt will be with the Brian Toss version with the sunk ends. I found these instructions How to Tie A Button Knot to follow. Based on your experience is there any reason I shouldn't just untie my first attempt and re-do it with the button knot and sunken final loose ends?

Oct 22, 2014
It should work providing you have enough line to work.

Looking at the knot it is shown as a button knot. A lot of parts in the tying. The knot I learned is simpler in design and once you understand the structure easy to repeat.

Regarding the length of line and the finished soft shackle, I start with a 40-42” length of dyneema. Halve that to 20-21” forming the shackle loop. Then from the end of the shackle loop I move towards the running ends about 10-11”. That leaves me about 10” to tie the stopper knot and ends to bury.

Once finished you should have a soft shackle that is about 4.5 to 5 inches in size.