eye candy

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I really like the looks of 'Northern Crown'. I'm a sucker for double-enders. My boat design, however will have a fantail stern. Something very nautical about smooth curves instead of hard corners and flat surfaces.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Double enders. Most everybody likes them but most of the owners (I know many) of double enders never go for a stern, again. I like double enders but I don't find them as appealing as single-enders.

Here's a good friends K Aage Nielsen double ender, Snowstar. This boat has been in and out of his family for around 50 years.
Snowstar Stern.jpg

So smitten are the owners of double enders that Nielsen had to draw miniatures for the original owners. Here's Toms minnie, Primrose:

Primrose.jpg

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
that's sailboat designer Robert Perry. the double ender and the motorsailer are both his designs. Valiant 40, passport, ................

very famous designer from the PNW area

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
Tom, what i like best about snow star is that deep keel. i love a deep keel. you just can't beat a deep keel.
people ask 'what makes a good blue water sailing vessel' well, white star is the shape you wanted 50 years ago. take you around the world 20 times.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
people ask 'what makes a good blue water sailing vessel' well, white star is the shape you wanted 50 years ago. take you around the world 20 times.
Maybe not as fast but with more comfort I'm sure. Reading C. A. Marchajs "Seaworthiness"influenced me to buy our C.T.37 many years ago. Still the most comfortable boat in a seaway I've ever sailed. ( another Bob Perry design)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Tom, what i like best about snow star is that deep keel. i love a deep keel. you just can't beat a deep keel.
Tom and his wife just completed a circle of the rim of the North Atlantic in Snow Star. They didn't stop much and always had at least one crew, mostly two along the way. The boat and crew handled it with no problems along the way. They didn't 'cruise' much as we think of it today having really done it for the sailing time onboard.

Most would be amazed that their passion is mostly racing that boat. They do very very well on the classic boat circuit in New England.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not sure we could get her around Vancouver Isle Michael, but it might be fun to try. Probably have more luck sailing her then getting the owner to let us try...