engine will not remain running when shift into gear

Jun 2, 2013
Catalina 27 boston
Catalina 27 1985 with M18 Universal engine starts and sounds normal.. When I shift into forward or reverse, engine stalls out. I've changed fuel filter once and Racor filter, twice, removed fuel lines from both injectors and I can blow air through the lines, so not clogged. turned engine on and bled air out of fuel line at the fuel filter; racor filter- bled out water and added Diesel 911 to Racor filter and additional Diesel 911 to fuel tank. It still stalls out when I put engine into gear. WHY? Is there a governor on this engine and does it interact with the Transmission and engine at the same time? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Buddy Shea

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Can you rev up the engine without it stalling?

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Yea spin your shaft to make sure everything unstuck. Then easy into gear then ease into reverse to make sure tranny not stuck.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Like Don I suspect your idle speed could be too low. You can try one thing, start the engine with the transmission already in forward. Make sure the dock lines are secured and that they will stop boat from hitting anything as it moves forward. Open the throtle 3/4, crank the engine and be ready to throtle back once it start, gradually to idle. If the engine does not crank or the starter turns too slow then you could have a mechanical issue with the transmission.

Jun 2, 2013
Catalina 27 boston
Can you rev up the engine without it stalling?
Catalina 27 1985 with M18 Universal engine starts and sounds normal.. When I shift into forward or reverse, engine stalls out. I've changed fuel filter once and Racor filter, twice, removed fuel lines from both injectors and I can blow air through the lines, so not clogged. turned engine on and bled air out of fuel line at the fuel filter; racor filter- bled out water and added Diesel 911 to Racor filter and additional Diesel 911 to fuel tank. It still stalls out when I put engine into gear. WHY? Is there a governor on this engine and does it interact with the Transmission and engine at the same time? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Buddy Shea

Jun 2, 2013
Catalina 27 boston
Hello Joe, Engine starts fine and runs up to high speed. when I shift to either gear, engine drops in revs and even with feathering the fuel, it stalls out.

Jun 2, 2013
Catalina 27 boston
Like Don I suspect your idle speed could be too low. You can try one thing, start the engine with the transmission already in forward. Make sure the dock lines are secured and that they will stop boat from hitting anything as it moves forward. Open the throtle 3/4, crank the engine and be ready to throtle back once it start, gradually to idle. If the engine does not crank or the starter turns too slow then you could have a mechanical issue with the transmission.
Benny thanks for your input. I have done as you suggest and results are the same. Engine stalls out if i leave the engine to run on its own. when feathering the engine I only get it to run for a short time. I'm going to take a good look at the transmission . Do you think that there is a governor issue here? I only say this after talking to a few other boat owners. If it is the case, I don't know where it is on my engine, so perhaps you or others who read this msg can give me a hint.
Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Jun 2, 2013
Catalina 27 boston
Yea spin your shaft to make sure everything unstuck. Then easy into gear then ease into reverse to make sure tranny not stuck.
When I put engine into forward or reverse, the boat tries to respond but only succeeds in moving a few feet and proceeds to stall out.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Set idle at 1000 RPM. If shifting into gear still kills the engine, then set the transmission in neutral and turn the shaft by hand. If it turns freely then the problem is with the transmission.

Jun 2, 2013
Catalina 27 boston
Set idle at 1000 RPM. If shifting into gear still kills the engine, then set the transmission in neutral and turn the shaft by hand. If it turns freely then the problem is with the transmission.
I'll be at the boat tomorrow and will let you know the results. I'm also going to remove the gas and replace with fresh fuel. thanks for input.

Jun 2, 2013
Catalina 27 boston
Any chance the exhaust elbow is clogged ?
Entire exhaust system is new- replaced over the winter. water flows through the system and is very visible coming out of the stern which I think indicates that there is no restriction.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Any change in exhaust when it’s shifted like turning black? Does the engine sound like it is loaded and stalling out because it can’t handle the load or is it like it just shuts off? Can you turn the shaft by hand, how does the trans fluid look?

Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
My former boat had a Universal M12. Once some gunk from the fuel tank got caught in the fuel line. The engine ran at idle, but stalled at higher speeds. I suspect the reason it acted like that was that the higher fuel flow caused the gunk to block the fuel line. Anyway, once I cleaned out the fuel system and power spray washed the fuel tank, the engine ran fine.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
To be sure... The engine will start and idle for a long period of time w/o stalling... once the transmission is engaged the engine immediately stalls. Does that sum it up ?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A governor fault is usually accompanied by fast engine speed which migh fail to return to idle. A failure to maintain stable RPM. If your engine runs well in neutral and accelerates well and returns to idle, I don't think the governor could be the cause of your problems. Run a little test to ascertain the compression of your engine, run at idle in neutral at normal operating temperature, take a rag and remove the oil filler cap. Hover the palm of your hand about 2 inches above the opening and feel for back pressure. Back pressure is the amount of compression leaking past the piston rings into the crankcase. You should feel some light and even pressure. I you feel a cyclical strong thump your engine could be weak in compression in one or both cylinders. For right now just see if the shaft turns freely by hand with the transmission in neutral.