Drain holes into keel area -- needed?

Dec 28, 2016
Hunter 23 Grapevine, TX
My old Hunter 23 has 6 small holes in the fiberglass under the floorboards of the cabin, and these holes allow water to flow freely between the bilge area above the keel and the cabin. There does not appear to be any other access to this bilge area. The boat is a slip, so it never has a chance to drain out of the keel bilge or dry out. Because of these holes, I always have a cup of water sloshing around the cabin floor. It doesn't drain out the holes -- it flows up into the cabin. Maybe I shouldn't have water in that keel bilge, but better to have it there than flowing into the cabin.
  1. What is the purpose of the holes?
  2. If I seal the holes, what bad can happen?
Thanks. --David

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Usually called "limber holes" small holes in structural members are designed to allow water in the hull to drain to the bilge where it is removed by a bilge pump. I'm not familiar with your boat but sounds like you need to manually dry the bilge. Where's the water coming from ?

Dec 28, 2016
Hunter 23 Grapevine, TX
Likely leaks into the area from a leak in the bottom. A leak is not good, but a leak into the cabin seems worse.
There is no access, and the 3/8" holes do not allow pumping out the bilge.
Thanks for the reply.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
You may also have leaks in the topsides, such as around any fitting, the chainplates, the hatch cover, etc. My 23 has these limber holes, and when water gets into the areas in front of the forward cabin bulkhead (in the v berth area) or right under the removable step, it gradually flows into the "bilge" above the keel bolts. Not enough depth for a bilge pump there. I remove it with sponges. You have to keep doing this until all the water flows out of the hidden areas into the bilge, as it flows so slowly.
I'd be surprised if it is a hull leak, as there are no underwater through hulls (at least on my 23). I suppose it could be through the keel bolts, so check that - when it is really dry, see if the water is coming in around the bolts - 6 if I recall correctly, maybe 7. I'd put my money on an overhead leak, or perhaps where the cockpit drain exits through the hose and through-hull in the transom.
I don't think I have ever had water intrusion when the boat just sits (in the water) in dry weather; I am pretty sure whenever I saw it, it must have come from rain. Also, check the hose that empties water from the anchor locker up front - if that leaks, it would probably work its way under the vberth and then through the limber holes to the bilge.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
David Kemp;
Any leaks thru the hull would come from either the keel bolts, aft rudder gudgeon or any thru hull fittings which I doubt. However a question need to be answered first. Do you have the fixed keel with a forward swing keel or do you have the fixed wing keel version. The firs of the 23's had a swing keel version. I obtained one of the first wing keel versions which most were of as a dealer and sold too many of them.
What you have is water trapped under the floor boards in areas where there were either too small limber holes for drainage that in some cases were not put in, clogged from construction debri allowing slow water drainage and so forth. Generally it came from topside leakeage. The areas to check first are the obvious if you eliminate what I stated first. Then go for topside leaks and I would look at the anchor locker first which is accessable from pulling the forward triangular board in the V Berth by unscrewing it but it is in tight. Looking for other leaks with a hose is time consuming but taping over the hatch and port lids with tape and covering the entire companionway cover with a plastic and inserting a hose to pressurize the cabin is the best way when brushing with a soapy water brush on all things outside till you see bubbles.

A lot has been discussed on this and I would suggest to look at the archives under Hunter 23 water leaks and also pressurizing the cabin to look for air leaks. Then get back with us in the small boat hunter forum with your findings and then we can go from there.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
For reasons we can only guess at, a number of Hunters (like my H28.5) have false bilges like the one you describe. You can, in fact, pump out the water collecting between the keel and cabin floor by inserting a small hand pump tube (I use the same Jabsco hand pump to change the engine oil) into the limber holes. I know its a PITA, but is doable.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Does anyone know if the 23 came from the factory with the limber holes, or did all the owners who have them do it after purchase? My holes are rather small (maybe 1/8 to 1/4 in) so I am thinking of making them a bit larger, or making them more like horizontal slots, maybe 1/4 in tall by say 1 in wide. That would let the water in these totally enclosed areas drain into the accessible bilge above the keel a bit faster. Can't see much of a downside.
Another point to make - the water may not drain into the bilge if the boat is not floating (i.e., it is on the trailer). It doesn't take much of a tilt to make the bilge higher than the covered areas. I have always found that (when it is afloat) any accumulated water always drains into the bilge eventually so you can pump or sponge it out, it just takes some time, and after you sponge it out, you have to wait for more to drain in, repeat, etc. until it stays dry. I seem to only get water in there over the winter, even though I have a big canvas over the whole hull