Deck Grab rail removal

Dec 18, 2016
Hunter 306 ft lauderdale
I have 2003 Hunter 306. I want to remove the deck grab rails. there are 3 each side. I see a wood plug on the end of each rail. I do not see in the cabin where the nut would be, possible under cabin head liner???.. anyone have any knowledge on how to remove please. there is varnish that needs to be removed on the rails and also want to remove the rails as the last owner did not tape when varnishing and there is varnish on the fiberglass that i want to try to remove.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Drill out the wood bung and remove the screw. These SBO forum threads suggest they were originally screwed in. Good luck.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
Rather than drill out the plugs, I have drilled a small hole ~1/16" in the near center. Then carefully cut thru or sand the surface varnish to keep the hoe edges from chipping the surface. Then use a sheet metal screw down thru the hole. The screw threads grab onto the plug and the plug gets pushed out. If you drill out and don't get the perfect center, the replacement plug won't work well. Good Luck

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
RitSim......great idea!! The first thread recommends the bung removal technique RitSim recommended. Other bung removal techniques can be found in the second thread:

sgiarc

Feb 12, 2019
beneteau 461 port colborne
Unless you have the tools to make new plugs. ie a plug cutter. It's probably better to refinish in place. I am a woodworker and am reinstalling new rails next weekend. After the plugs on the old rails come out there will probably be a little damage to the rails. They are usually held on using a stainless screw. They generally are also caulked around the underside to make them water tight.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
They are usually held on using a stainless screw. They generally are also caulked around the underside to make them water tight.
While cleaning and revarnishing your rails in place is preferable, depending on the age and condition of you boat hand rails, you may need to do this removal. Take your time and follow the technique identified.

Hand rails, after time and use can become a source of water leakage into your cabin roof. The water may show up around the ports so you conclude the ports need the work. This is not always the case. Then of course there is the cascading affect, your hand rails start to leak, the ports start to show their age... etc. Before you know it you have a winter season of projects that gets put on hold with the virus stay home orders.

My advise, go slow with the screw removal. If the rails do chip, save the wood chips, they can be epoxied back into the rails. Use a good caulking to reattach to the deck (butyl tape works). New screws and deck hole treatment to prevent further leaks.

Before you know it you are back on the water, Sailing.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Replacement teak plugs can be easily purchased to replace the original plugs. Tap them in place with rubber mallet. Do not glue the plug. Use a thin blade serrated knife to cut off the top of the plug that protrudes from the rail. Sand the plug even with the top of the rail. Finally, finish with at least 3 coats of your favorite sealer.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2016
Hunter 306 ft lauderdale
thank you great idea. do you happen to know how the rails are attached once thru the cabin deck. my catalina they were exposed in the cabin as the boat did not have a headliner. i would hate to have to remove the liner. maybe will try sanding in place but my preference is to remove the rails.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Tom. Typically hand rails are attached through the deck with washers and nuts providing a solid secure grip to the cabin top. Note there is a lot of force used by a crew member trying to hold on in a storm. Grabbing a grab rail and having it come off in your hand because the screw threads gave way is not fun.

So removal of the headliner is likely in-order to remove the rails for cleanup and maintenance.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
thank you great idea. do you happen to know how the rails are attached once thru the cabin deck. my catalina they were exposed in the cabin as the boat did not have a headliner.
Interesting, on my previous boat, Hunter, as well as my present boat, a Beneteau, the rails were screwed into the deck with stainless steel
screws. No argument here, would definitely be stronger if thru bolted; however, I was not going to cut thru the headliner to thru bolt after I removed the rails.