Reinstalling exterior teak handrails

Aug 15, 2014
Catalina 36 Deale, MD
While the C36 MK I is wrapped this winter, I removed the exterior teak handrails to sand down and refinish (Sikkens Cetol Natural Teak and Clear Gloss) in the warmth of my basement. Very happy with the results. My plan is to reinstall the handrails this weekend.
What is the best method of 1) cleaning the non-slip areas on the deck around the foot print of the handrails (removing ~25 years of debris and varnish/Sikkens buildup) and 2) reinstalling the handrail? Would covering the bases of the handrails with butyl tape (aka - Maine Sail) be the best solution? I am worried that the tape would be too thick and not compress. Should caulk or another type of sealant be used? The temperature will probably be 40 F. While the holes through the deck are open, should these be coated with epoxy then redrilled? Lots of questions .... but I would like to do this right the first time.
Thanks.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
This job is on my to do list.
I plan to router out the wood core at little, fill with thick epopxy, re drill for the bolts, counter sink, and use butyl tape or Life Caulk. The theory is the counter sink taper will provide the main area of sealing.

Jan 22, 2008
NorSea 27 Az., Doing the To-Do list
Down,

You might want to take a look at my Youtube video on how I did the job. I used Dolfinite and the video goes into why I made the choice.

It's at; http://youtu.be/GP7KS2knxn4

Greg
NOTE; it's in 3D, but you can turn that off by using the small gear symbol bottom right.

Jan 22, 2008
I have used a number of products for bedding & sealing deck hardware.

It seems that no matter what you use, you will NEED to snug up the fasteners a couple of times as the items set. I find that about 2~3 times is good for Dol.. but it's more like 5 or 6 for the tape and it must be over a few hot (or at least very warm) days for Bu tape.

As I said in my video, a hand rail is something you do NOT want to be or become loose!

Just my view. ;)

Greg

Aug 15, 2014
Catalina 36 Deale, MD
With the Dolfinite, okay if I tighten over a few weeks? Or would it set/harden before then?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
why make it any harder than need...use butyl tap and be done with it ......

Aug 15, 2014
Catalina 36 Deale, MD
Compressing butyl tape under the feet of the handholds would be a bear. That is a lot of surface area to compress with a wood screw (recall that Catalina used through fasteners on every 3rd or 4th foot). I would have to wait until June until it is warm enough. That being said, I will open up the deck side of the holes w/ a countersink. Wrap the base of through fasteners on the hand rail with tape and perhaps leave a small ball of tape where the wood screws come up from the cabin. The handrail will hold them down while tightening the screws. Dolfinite (or lifecaulk) for the feet.

Jan 22, 2008
With the Dolfinite, okay if I tighten over a few weeks? Or would it set/harden before then?
Dolfinite does not harden, at least not for a VERY VERY long time.

The MAJOR difference between using a bedding compound on hand rails and other items like a port light is the side loads on hand rails.

There is a proper tool for a job. Butyl tape is good for a lot of things, I just do not think it's the best product for this application.

Greg

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I would think that after tightening a few times butyl tape would be as solid and sealing to the beveled bolt hole as dolphinite. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Jun 26, 2015
Catalina 36 MK II Burred Civic Marina
Down,

You might want to take a look at my Youtube video on how I did the job. I used Dolfinite and the video goes into why I made the choice.

It's at;

Greg
NOTE; it's in 3D, but you can turn that off by using the small gear symbol bottom right.
Very informative video Greg. How ever you skipped all the actual steps of fastening the hand rails to the boat which is the part i'm looking for help on. I'm not a wood worker so its all new to me. How did you actually fasten the hand rails to the boat. I understand they are bolted from the under side but is there a nut inside the hand rail? Is that what the counter sink was for on the top side of the had rail? Any detail or photos you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I will be installing my new pvc handrails this Spring. I plan on just countersinking my cabin top mounting holes and just seal around each screw with butyl tape. No need to over do it with butyl tape just to have it ooze on hot days. I just won't plug my screw holes in the rail until I tighten each one down a few times.