Complete Refurb - 78 C&C Mega 30'

Feb 11, 2012
C&C Mega 30 Long Point, Lake Erie
All my teak cabinetry face down for glueing of all the supports, braces, etc. (Under all the paint cans to hold them in place till dry)

image-3710901023.jpg
image-3324403722.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2012
Addition of new (to me) industrial Singer sewing machine.

Have begun complete design/ build of the full cockpit enclosure, including dodger.

Will be doing all my own interior & cockpit cushion upholstery.

image-1351030268.jpg
image-4176645609.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
looks like you are rocking and rolling there Paul work looking good ...from the pics of your shop area it looks like you do some sort of graphic work.....did you cut the parts out with cnc or by hand ?

Feb 11, 2012
Yes, I run a graphics/ sign shop...full time 31 years now. Also drive City Transit Bus 20-30 hrs a week.

Been working on number of things....waiting on deliveries of SS tubing for the enclosure framework, Sunbrella Supreme/ facing/ binding/ zippers/ 40 ga. glass etc.

Just finishing the staining of the backsides of the cabinetry, and the cardboard templates of the cabin & cockpit cushions.

Working out the last few details of my wiring schematic for all the AC/ DC system & bonding for lightning protection

All the cabinetry was cut by hand.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
keep up the good work

Yes, I run a graphics/ sign shop...full time 31 years now. Also drive City Transit Bus 20-30 hrs a week.

Been working on number of things....waiting on deliveries of SS tubing for the enclosure framework, Sunbrella Supreme/ facing/ binding/ zippers/ 40 ga. glass etc.

Just finishing the staining of the backsides of the cabinetry, and the cardboard templates of the cabin & cockpit cushions.

Working out the last few details of my wiring schematic for all the AC/ DC system & bonding for lightning protection

All the cabinetry was cut by hand.
well you did a very nice job on the wood working keep up the good work

Feb 11, 2012
Built me 7/8" & 1" stainless steel tube bender.

Saved $800 plus on this gizmo...all with stuff I had lying around.

Got the rest of my tubing in....will be bending the enclosure structure shortly,
image-855461648.jpg
image-173855851.jpg
image-622414918.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2012
The second of two tube benders...this one for bending the crown in the enclosure framing.

image-2994073503.jpg
image-1691679117.jpg
image-963981281.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2012
Cardboard templates for the forward bulkhead that I want to incorporate in the sailboat forward of the hatch.
image-521959632.jpg
Cut from 3/4" oak - initial fitting & tweaking.

These will be held in place with high strength acrylic urethane around the entire perimeter surface that meets the hull and deck underside.
image-1854920743.jpg
image-845068669.jpg
image-3374031900.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2012
Cardboard templates for the cockpit cushions. These will be made of new 4" Curion foam and Off White NaugaSoft marine vinyl.

Have all the cardboard templates made for the interior cushioning as well...
image-663212230.jpg
image-2533550689.jpg
image-2416330979.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2012
Well bent most of my enclosure tubing. Temporary install for alterations before making the patterns. At this point I still have the forward hoop & supports for the spray dodger to make. Going to be a ton of usable cockpit space to enjoy on the hook...

Attachments

Last edited:
May 23, 2015
c and c mega 30 haslett mi
I just bought my edsel with an aluminum trailer and am going to have to follow in your footsteps. My first question is that the fwd bulkhead has some mold/rot on the lower area. Is this bulkhead structural or can I remove the whole thing and do whatever i want in that area. Great that you are posting all these pictures so I can plan my rebuild. Do you think I could make your sling setup with wood and if so how high does it need to be so that you can work on the extended keel. My keel looks like the surface of the moon right now. I don't know why these pictures post upside down but you get the idea.

Attachments

May 23, 2015
Also in reference to my" Edsel", it was trailered with the keel up and I will have to do the repair of the area behind the keel I understand. Do you have any info on how to do this repair.

Feb 11, 2012
I just bought my edsel with an aluminum trailer and am going to have to follow in your footsteps. My first question is that the fwd bulkhead has some mold/rot on the lower area. Is this bulkhead structural or can I remove the whole thing and do whatever i want in that area. Great that you are posting all these pictures so I can plan my rebuild. Do you think I could make your sling setup with wood and if so how high does it need to be so that you can work on the extended keel. My keel looks like the surface of the moon right now. I don't know why these pictures post upside down but you get the idea.
Hi, congrats on your purchase.

Looks like you have some work to do!

First off, absolutely not on the inquiry about building my steel slings design out of wood.....unless you are using barn timbers or better.

My slings are for sale if you are interested....

Your keel looks like it was recovered from the grave of the Titanic, ouch!....but with a fair bit of elbow grease, you can bring that back to life.

With regards to the bulkhead, yes it is structural....not major, but it does support the expanse of deck above it.
If you flip back a few of my pics, you will see what I designed for that bulkhead in order to convert the fore section to a large V-Berth.

Also, it appears the forward foot of your hull is not supported by any bunks on your trailer.....not good.

As well, you should at some point, design a crossover on your trailer to support the weight of the keel.

If you can resurrect that beauty, you will be impressed with her sailing capability.

May 23, 2015
Let me know what you are asking for your slings. I just acquired 6 sailboat stands for 250$ so that will allow me to raise the boat and see what I can do about the keel. I am a little nervous I may run into problems with the keel mechanism that is beyond my capability but we shall see. I guess I will be able to work on it without removing it. I am wondering about how you replace this bronze bushing that is supposed to be located on the forward part of the keel well. I don't know how you tell if it is bad. I am afraid that when I take the rust off the keel there may not be anything left.

This boat was trailered with the keel up in the past and there is an old repair aft of the keel on the outside and the floor is showing some cracks aft of the keel.

Attachments