Commissioning tasks and ongoing improvements of a 83 Cat 22 from trailer to saltwatercamper

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Good to know. I'd never even thought about how I'd lower the mast while it's floating.
Flag halyard looks sharp.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Well spent 4 weeks out of town away from the boat closing down my Dad's house to put up for sail. But finally got caught up and noticed my motor tiller handle cover was in bad shape. so out with the canvas and sewing machine and Voila (french for so there!) a new cover is done. Monogrammed of course. View attachment 166476
Awesome... could double as a willy warmer on colder days!

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
That is a 13 inch handle, quite a willy, must be a sailor right?

Apr 11, 2017
It that's what ya take.. it's what ya take. The monogramming is nice touch for that. Almost looks royal-

Wait a minute - now that I look at it again, it's the soaring seagull that really sets it off. Really nice detail.

Sep 14, 2014
Yep , just print it out on fabric transfer paper on your computer and iron it on.

Sep 14, 2014
Inexpensive way to raise the genoa hanks above the turnbuckle on the forestay to avoid fouling and side view of the pendant added to raise the sail just enough to see under it while sailing.
PVC cover of forestay turnbuckle and pendant .jpg

Apr 11, 2017
That's a pretty clever bow stopping device there. I'll need to remember that-

Sep 14, 2014
That is just the front half, rest is a V of two nylon lines that meet there starting at a piling to the starboard side of the stern and a mid ship cleat on the floating dock port side. Just motor or sail in, kill power and coast into the vee, reach out and grap a stern line off the dock and do rest of mooring lines at your leisure. I single hand nearly 85% of the time.

Sep 14, 2014
Here is a long view of the bow end of the capture device, I would show whole thing without boat in it but cant cause I am out on the boat at the time. Will work on it though, ha ha
capture device front.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
It is getting to that time for some boats this season. So just a few shots of my refirb of keel before getting ready to slip it year around. PO had nothing on it I could see as sat on trailer mostly. One shows where I angle ground off rust and applied thickened epoxy and covered with a rustproof sealant paint. Other is a shot up into the keel box from below after applying anti fouling paint with a small brush taped to stick! I also sprayed some anti fouling paint in an aerosol can designed for motor lower units up in side beyond where I could reach with the brush.
C Keel before and after (9).JPG
B Yard keel work (3).JPG

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
It is getting to that time for some boats this season. So just a few shots of my refirb of keel before getting ready to slip it year around. PO had nothing on it I could see as sat on trailer mostly. One shows where I angle ground off rust and applied thickened epoxy and covered with a rustproof sealant paint. Other is a shot up into the keel box from below after applying anti fouling paint with a small brush taped to stick! I also sprayed some anti fouling paint in an aerosol can designed for motor lower units up in side beyond where I could reach with the brush.View attachment 171571View attachment 171570
Your keel hangers are upside down.....

Sep 14, 2014
Yep, had no idea when I did the work and dunked it in 2014, since I did such a good job of bottom prep and painting(still looks good as of my latest semiannula underwater survey and soft brushing), and it works just fine, I decided to wait until I needed to do the bottom to correct it. Also not sure I wanted to find out why the PO did them that way except out of ignorance, You know the old "ignorance is bliss" theory!

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Lol you all make me want to install mine upside down too, just to join the club!!!!!!!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
actually, now it noticeably rocks and knocks a bit in the trunk while slipped with the keel up, never did that b4! Shoulda left well enuff alone! :banghead:

Sep 14, 2014
rpludwig- So yours are rightside up and causing problems, EH? I wonder if that is why my PO did them upside down. I have since ordered new hangers, bushing and lift gear from Catalina Direct so I can do what needs to be done when I need to do it!

Apr 11, 2017
Thinking about it - it kinda makes sense the keel would rock and bang less, installed on upside down hangers. Less of the keel would be in the trunk, and the "lever" half, on top of the bronze pin, will have to wobble at a greater angle from vertical to bang into the inside of the keel trunk. There sure seem to be a lot of hangers installed upside down, but I've never really heard any negative effects from it.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
sailed tday, no knocks when down, so I guess it's ok as is....just enjoyed the b-flat keel cable hum, as usual....10-15 sustained, gusts to 20, no issues...btw the kick up rudder mod (shear pin) made a huge difference, NO noticeable weatherhelm, the rudder stayed down where it belongs...