CNG tank exchange or CNG self serve stations

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
CNG tanks are available at Pearson fuel dock on Shelter Island, San Diego.
They only do exchanges so you must bring an empty tank.
i just got one today. $40.00. It’s the only place I know of in SoCal.
Unless they have stopped doing it, until recently the Alamitos Bay Fuel Dock in Long Beach does (or did) tank exchanges.

Jun 1, 2021
columbia 10.7 Glen Cove
Does anyone know of a fill up station near NY? We are purchasing a boat and cannot find a filling station

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
If you do a search for my past posts, I’m sure you’ll find Virginia gas in Norfolk where I’ve gotten mine refilled and hydro tested.Corp Brothers from RI does most of the Northeast. Ft. Pierce utilities does fill anyone traveling by.

Oct 12, 2021
sabre 36-2 Pt. Richmond
Does anyone know of a fill or exchange place in the SF bay area? The only place I’ve found exchanges tanks only, but rarely has any filled (Blue Pelican Marine).
Thanks,
Adam

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
They also have their CNG fill station and they said they would pretty much give it away, I'm not sure how big it is but if I had Natural Gas at my house I would have grabbed it, but I don't.
Hi Mike, they tried to sell it to me, too. But, the catch was the cost to have it rebuilt, which was the main reason they stopped the tank exchange business.

Thanks for the parts list. When you had the tank(s) re-certified, at what pressure did they certify? During the tank exchange period, a full tank was about 2,600 pounds pressure. I would imagine they would certify a tank at 3,000 pounds.

Still looking for a solution. Perhaps your list will work. Before building one, I need to check at the filling station to see whether they will let me fill.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I made one that I am very comfortable using and somewhere I have the parts list and can take a picture. It is much like the one @Stu Jackson posted the link to but it has one additional component. Between the Sherex receptacle and the gauge I added a high pressure gas rated throttling valve. That way I can hook it up, open the valve at the tank and the fill valve from the pumping station. Then I can fill at a controlled slow rate that doesn't increase temperature much and I can control the pressure to shut it off at the fill pressure I want. That makes me feel way more comfortable than a "blast" of high pressure gas that heats the tank and could easily overpressurize it.

I filled mine for about a $1.46 total at a ENMARK station in Savannah. Look for a heavy industry or local warehouse place and see if there is a CNG filling location. It was put in at Savannah because some of the big and medium size local delivery trucks near the container shipping port. I'll post the parts list and the picture tonight.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Here are some pictures that show the throttle valve that is an addition to the CNG adapter that @Stu Jackson posted.

I did not have to modify my T fitting as everything took 1/4 inch SS nipples. You can google Reotemp. I believe the part number is M10H4FC. The throttling to fill worked very well and let me control pressure increase in the tank. Other than the CNG Tank nipple and the Oil Free Pressure guage, everything is Stainless Steel rated for
1012211651.jpg
1012211651a.jpg
1012211651b.jpg

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Since the topic is resurrected - Does anyone have a CNG tank that they removed in conversion of their boat to LPG that they want to get rid of? I would lke to buy a couple so I can fill them before the station decides I can no longer do that. I like my CNG and want to keep it as long as I can. PM me if so

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Make sure your throttle valve is between the charge inlet that connects to the pump and the pressure gauge so the pressure gauge reads the pressure in the tank. Otherwise you'll only read the charge pressure which is either 3000 psi or 3600 psi ;)

Oct 14, 2021
Catalina C36 Gulf of Mexico
What the reason CNC is being phased out (or already has been)? The high pressure? Propane seems to have its own set of problems.