CNG tank exchange or CNG self serve stations

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I know its been discussed before but things are always changing. Also, this is not a discussion of changing from CNG to Propane or Alcohol stoves, relative safety of CNG vs Propane or any thing like that. My previous source (Bert Jabin yard in Annapolis no longer exchanges tanks)

Simply - how about sailors who are using CNG chime in where they get their tanks exchanged or where they fill (or have their tanks filled by someone else)? I'm particularly interested in the East Coast from St. Augustine FL to Georgetown SC but I"m sure there are at least a few others out there who might be interested in this topic all over the country.

Phil, maybe a Forum Topic with a place to keep an updated list would be helpful for those of us with CNG?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
There are no self serve CNG stations for filling portable CNG tanks. The use of adapters is not sanctioned at CNG stations intended for automobiles. Using a home made or third party adapter is just a serious accident waiting to happen. The pumps used at the stations transfer the gas at very high pressure. Good luck in finding one of the reputable tank exchange services still in operation.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
We've exchanged our CNG bottles locally for almost 20 years. It's not any problem as long as you make sure they're stocked when you need a refill. I just reserve one ahead. There are a few exchanges along the coast, CNG is used on quite a few boats.

The main exchange supplier (that fills the tanks), is in Mass. for New England.

The biggest issue is the cost in Maine. A 20 hr small bottle is up to nearly $100. But that's mostly due to trucking. We pay more for many things because we're at the east end of the country.

I got one in Mass this past season while we were down that way. Cost around $30.00

We used to go through 2 bottles in a season when there were four of us onboard. Now with just two, a bottle more than lasts a season. I like it as a cooking fuel.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
There are a few exchanges along the coast, CNG is used on quite a few boats.
My question is specifically where? What boat yard? What station? What roadside stand! If you have places you are able to make the exchange or know of specific places please let us know.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
There are no self serve CNG stations for filling portable CNG tanks. The use of adapters is not sanctioned at CNG stations intended for automobiles. Using a home made or third party adapter is just a serious accident waiting to happen. The pumps used at the stations transfer the gas at very high pressure. Good luck in finding one of the reputable tank exchange services still in operation.
Benny - I concur. But maybe someone knows of a person who has the right equipment and is authorized to fill tanks at one of these stations? Just trying to figure out how to get a tank exchanged or filled.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
My question is specifically where? What boat yard? What station? What roadside stand! If you have places you are able to make the exchange or know of specific places please let us know.
Like I said, coastal Maine, which doesn't help you. Wayfarer Marine in Camden is where I make exchanges. Hinckley in Southwest Harbor also exchanges the bottles. There is no place to fill your own bottle in Maine.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The road into BWI Airport in Baltimore has a sign that says "CNG refilling Station". I think some of the little baggage carts might still use CNG, but you might inquire at local airports.

Jul 2, 2020
Tartan 37 Severn House
I know its been discussed before but things are always changing. Also, this is not a discussion of changing from CNG to Propane or Alcohol stoves, relative safety of CNG vs Propane or any thing like that. My previous source (Bert Jabin yard in Annapolis no longer exchanges tanks)

Simply - how about sailors who are using CNG chime in where they get their tanks exchanged or where they fill (or have their tanks filled by someone else)? I'm particularly interested in the East Coast from St. Augustine FL to Georgetown SC but I"m sure there are at least a few others out there who might be interested in this topic all over the country.

I have CNG tank refills / exchanges available now in Annapolis. peterholzinger4@gmail.com

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
How about the left coast? Still looking for a way to fill my two tanks here in WA. Also looking into a home compressor that fills a tank over night. Pricey. Our home uses natural gas for heating; just need to tap into it with a compressor.

Mar 19, 2020
Hunter 30 Bayview, Id
This may help you. I have the same issue here in Spokane Washington. For3 months have been pondering this issue because I was out of CNG. My stove is to old to convert to propane so I would have to buy a new stove and build a locker for the tank(s).
I finally built a CNG fill adapter and since I only had one tank I checked on tanks, new ones are super expensive. I did how ever find Sure Marine, Seattle, WA. (208-784-9903) who has stopped filling tanks. They have 3 pallets of used tanks that are out of certification. They sold me 2 for $20.00 each and I had them recertified for $19.60 each.
They also have their CNG fill station and they said they would pretty much give it away, I'm not sure how big it is but if I had Natural Gas at my house I would have grabbed it, but I don't.
So that being said, I drove from Spokane to the Clean N' Green filling station in Seattle (149 SW Kenyon St) and filled all 3 tanks for a total of $5.07. It's going to take a while to get the ROA back on the adapter but it beats buying the new stove by a lot.

My photo was to large but here is the parts list for the adapter, If I can help with anything more on this let me know.

Mike Sevigney

Attachments

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
They have 3 pallets of used tanks that are out of certification. They sold me 2 for $20.00 each and I had them recertified for $19.60 each.
Who did you take them to for recertification? ( what kind of shop?)
Thans

Mar 19, 2020
Hunter 30 Bayview, Id
I took them to a Compressed Gas dealer. Look for some one who sells cylinders of welding gas or even oxygen gas.
In Spokane it was A-L Compressed Gases, Oxarc, and Norco. All compressed gas cylinders have the same 5 year recertification requirement.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The refilling of CNG tanks seems to be a frequently discussed issue here on SBO.

I was bored this morning so did some Googling and found this. I’m sure there are any number of competitors to this vendor but the premise is the same. They connect to the “supply” of gas to your residence or business and slow fill the tank to the correct operating pressure.

Pricey but if there was enough demand in a local area the cost could be shared between several boat owners.

Oct 7, 2020
catalina 38 newport beach
CNG tanks are available at Pearson fuel dock on Shelter Island, San Diego.
They only do exchanges so you must bring an empty tank.
i just got one today. $40.00. It’s the only place I know of in SoCal.