Changing Scupper Hoses on 28.5

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
I have leaking scuppers on my 28.5. Has anyone one ever changed the scupper hoses (cockpit drain hoses) on a hunter 28.5?

Just how did you access the hose fittings? Did you install deck-plates in the rear wall?

Jeff

timtim

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Southport, NC
FaceBook
Hunter 28.5 extended user group
Post your question there, great group

Jan 30, 2012
Catalina 36 Bayfield, WI
Jeff, I have spent a great deal of time researching the same dilemma. The consensus I got was cutting an access hole for the port side. I discovered last spring my starboard hose was leaking up by the scupper but crosses over and exits on the port side where I can't even see. Luckily I was able to do a temporary repair and seal it up for the season. I will probably be replacing my hoses this year too.

Adam

Sep 3, 2012
Thanks Adam, I will attemp to photo what I do, right or wrong and post. Just bought the 6-1/4 hole saw and think I will put at least one 6" deck plate in that back wall (in the aft berth) to access the hose clamp on the bottom.

Boy this is hard, I wonder if they were put in when the hulls were assembled with no way to access them later.

Sep 3, 2012
Let me ask to clarify, your port scupper line crosses over to starboard or the water from the leak crossed over?

...snip...I discovered last spring my starboard hose was leaking up by the scupper but crosses over and exits on the port side where I can't even see. Luckily I was able to do a temporary repair and seal it up for the season. I will probably be replacing my hoses this year too.

Adam

Jan 30, 2012
Catalina 36 Bayfield, WI
Let me ask to clarify, your port scupper line crosses over to starboard or the water from the leak crossed over?
My scupper lines criss-cross each other. I'm guessing it was done that way so water wouldn't enter the cockpit while heeled over. I could be wrong. Have you been able to determine EXACTLY where your hose is leaking. Most develop cracks from ice building up near the scupper. Since I hate cutting holes in my boat, I thought about just replacing the cracked section with a new piece.

Sep 3, 2012
No, not exactly, because there is no access yet. But it seems to be at least 12" past the scupper and before the bend over the back wall. But am going to install a 6" deck plate or two on that back wall so I can see and feel better. I've been using pink antifreeze pouring it in the scuppers and then trying to see how it gets into the lower bunk.

Probably will go back to boat Thursday and do some more.

That sounds logical what you said about the crossed lines, however, I can't imagine ever healing so far that water could possibly enter a scupper. First off, the cockpit floor would have to be below the seawater level, it's way above even when healed. Another possibility is the routing across the boat MAY allow a more straight run for the hose without kinks. Mine are on the same side and I noticed the hoses go up and down trapping water in segments of hose. I will consider both paths when I run new hose...

While there is a thrill in over healing, it does not seem to result in faster than normal hull speeds.

My scupper lines criss-cross each other. I'm guessing it was done that way so water wouldn't enter the cockpit while heeled over. I could be wrong. Have you been able to determine EXACTLY where your hose is leaking. Most develop cracks from ice building up near the scupper. Since I hate cutting holes in my boat, I thought about just replacing the cracked section with a new piece.

jtm

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Dataw Island, SC
Late to see this post. Yes I've had to cut an access hatch in the q-berth side wall a few years back. Rather than spend a fortune for a large 1time use Milwaukee hole bit , I drew an appropriate sized circle, the made numerous drill holes and then connected the holes with a shallow jigsaw (blade). A messy dusty job. The access screw on panel looks great but you barely see it.
Btw, I've seen pictures of various boats that have cut similar access panels into the lower inside quadrant/transom wall to get at that port side scupper thru hull drain .