Catalina 25 - Barrier Coat and Bottom Paint Recommendations

Mar 21, 2024
Skeeter 185 Clinton
Just picked up new to me 1988 Catalina 25 on a trailer. I'm believe I'm the 4th owner. The PO didn't really understand sailing or boat maintenance and the owner before him was an older lady that either didn't share or he didn't know the questions to ask. We believe the boat has been in freshwater all her life. We don't know the last time the bottom was painted or the type (if any) barrier coat that was applied. There was apparently some work done on the lower bow, I waS told dock rash. Hopefully, the pictures will help us understand what has been done and the next appropriate steps.

I believe I need to do the following. Please provide recommendations/guidance as appropriate. I plan on doing the work myself.

1) Apply barrier coat
- not sure if there was a barrier coat but from the pictures of the point of the bow I'm assuming the white gelcoat is covered/painted by a light grey coat (barrier ???) and then a darker gray layer (bottom paint ???) . The darker gray layer actually looks like the blue bottom hull color further along the boat. The exterior of the boat (above the waterline and below the waterline look excellent and smooth; obviously above the waterline is smooth like glass but below the waterline it's still smooth).
- do I need to sand down to the white gelcoat looking layer (I would prefer not to damage or harm the existing layers as they look really good but on the other hand I believe I need a barrier coat since the boat is a 1988 and it appears as if nothing has been done since)
- I'm assuming I would sand up to the bottom on the blue stripe below the red boot stripe?
- use a quality epoxy barrier coat and following vendors instructions

2) Apply bottom paint
- use a quality bottom coat and follow vendors instructions

3) Polish the gelcoat above the red boot stripe to the cove stripe below the rub rail.

Sure appreciate any advice/guidance ya'll have. I'm operating in the dark here and appreciate ya'lls knowledge and experience. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Why would you want to remove a perfectly good barrier coat ? ? ? ?

They don't have a limited life expectancy and you'll have one hell of a time trying to "maintain it" whatever that may mean or consist of ? ? ? ? ?

The boat has been on a trailer. What you've got now is a heavy duty bottom for permanent moorage in salt water.

If the barrier coat is in good shape and yours looks to be good , it's there for life. Any blisters ? No ? Then it's done a good job over the years and will continue to do the same job.

Determine what the existing bottom coat is. If it's hard, it will take any bottom paint. If it's soft, time for some research as to whether you want to go hard or soft.

Before you do anything, may I suggest you do some research on boat bottoms. There's a lot to be learned, the work is ass busting, filthy, and expensive. Check this site all the way to West Marine for articles on bottom paints. It would break my heart to hear that you've dug into what looks like a perfectly good barrier coat with the intention of replacing it.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ok. In my opinion.
The blue stripe looks like original blue gelcoat.
The white area above the blue strip looks like the original white gelcoat.

Beneath the blue strip is the hull the dark grey is the outside fiberglass hull. The gelcoat for this area appears to have been stripped. You would need to paint this dark grey with at least 2 to 3 layers of epoxy barrier coat.

At the bow you can see how the hull was laid up. After spraying the mold with a release agent they applied a thick gelcoat white layer. It is evident on the bow.
Next they sprayed a light grey gelcoat, or a vinyl-ester resin coat. Next they sprayed chopped mat dark grey fiberglas and resin. This formed the base of the hull.

You need to replace these two outer layers. You do that with 2-3 coats of barrier epoxy paint. This barrier coat provides a smooth water proof layer. Then you apply your ablative bottom paint on top of the barrier paint..