C-27 Refit/Refurb

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Hi, Phil. Congratulations on the new deduction!:)

Keep the thread going, nice to have it all in one place. You know how much I just hate providing links...:eek:

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Well, managed to find some time, and we are starting to consider a routine where I might try to talk the admiral into letting me work a couple of hours a couple of nights a week. Pics below show the results of two such nights, where I literally only spent 2 hours at a whack. When organized, you can get a lot done in 2 hours. Early last week I got out to the boat and got the starboard cabin top stripped, sanded, cleaned, masked and the Kiwi-Grip applied. Yup... 2 hours...

I learned a few things on this outing with the Kiwi-Grip non-skid. First off, when applying it in cooler weather, you have more time to get the tape off the edges, but the slower cure time leaves a softer texture. It should still be grippy enough and you cannot tell with your eyes, but you can definitely tell with your hands. Application at about 80 degrees leaves a very rough, almost sharp texture, while 10-15 degrees cooler leaves more open time and there is a noticeably softer feel to the hand. I think I prefer it from a lounging on deck standpoint, and have a hunch the warmer application will end up smoothed over a little to a similar texture under use. Again, it is NOT noticeable to the eye.

Second thing I learned is that in very tight areas where the roller will not work, the flat edge of a foam brush pressed hard and lifted quickly leaves a similar texture that is hard to discern from the roller texture. this information will come in handy for others using Kiwi-Grip in narrow tight confines where the roller cannot be used. I still intend to go buy a wooden dowel and fashion a very narrow texture roller from a scrap of the supplied texture roller, but just know the foam brush trick works good in very tight areas.

Last night I got out there and replaced a faulty float switch in the shower sump, ( I know, it could have waited but it was bugging me!). I discovered it winterizing the plumbing, as the shower sump would fill up without automatically draining. Yes, I had gone ahead and filled the plumbing system upon completion, certainly to test for leaks but also just to see how it would work! I suspect the extreme high heat in my shop this last summer messed it up somehow, and if I have to sit through another, I will leave the sump pump off and lift the water level in the sump to help keep the switch from suffering the extreme heat.

Also last night I carried the sliding hatch back up the ladder, (HEAVY!) and got it and the sliding rails reinstalled. This is a key event, as I have been very annoyed at the amount of dust I was getting into the cain with the hatch off. Now I can close her back up while working on the non-skid with less fear and concern over dust getting in. The re-installation of the wooden rails was tricky, as I had to basically pre-install every screw through the deck with a little cone of butyl tape in the countersunk holes. The good thing was that the butyl held the screws in place and made the railing easier to line up single-handed.

I am moving slower on the project now, literally baby-steps, but as I look at it, the scope of work to be completed prior to pulling her out of the shop is limited to finishing the non-skid and polishing up the white gel coat. That is a good feeling.

In terms of items to be completed post shop-removal, I still want to re-cut and re-upholster the interior, to better accomodate the seating plan changes I made. This will requrie some new foam, and I am shopping. I have pretty much decided on using one of the sueded-leather/bomber-jacket looking microfiber materials, combining easy care, breathability and a more contemporary look. This can be done after we launch, and I probably should wait until then. The upholstery lady I intend to use has had knee replacement, and it will be easier on her to have the boat in the water.

I also need to finish rigging a boom vang, as well as either installing a boom kicker or an adjustable topping lift. I have a working mainsheet that came with the boat, it is tired and I want to replace it with a newer Garhauer unit to match the rest of the blocks and rigging. The mainsheet tackle can probably wait until last...

Finally, and probably most importantly, I have been trying to get in touch with the PO (moved to Australia) to find out if he knows the history of the current standing rigging, but with recent posts here, i am inclinded to err to caution's side and go ahead and replace the standing rigging, all 8 pieces. It is an unplanned expense, but I would rather be able to hit the water with peace of mind knowing I was taking my family out on a solid boat, where no shortcuts were made. The fact that the headsail is roller furling tells me I want a toggle at the top of the headstay, according to my recent reading on the subject. I understand the logic and now that I understand it, I can see the weak point on the current headstay where the fatigue has been concentrated.

That is all for now, enjoy these few pics.

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Played Hookey today..... :D

I took the stern railing and the aft cleats loose and got busy doing some more non-skid. This area is TIGHT!!!! I spent about an hour manufacturing a super-skinny texture roller and well, it failed miserably. The best option I have found is to use the flats of a course foam brush to apply the stippling to the non-skid product. See pics below showing how much better this looks.

I also got around to installing the brightwork on the front and back of the sliding hatch. Nice to have a handle to push and pull tp close the thing. Maine Sail's Bed-It butyl tape came onto play for all re-installation of parts, so I hope to be good and dry when I roll the girl out into the weather.

The non-skid keft to be done is the huge expanse of the foredeck. This will be relatively easy once prepped, as the large surface area will be easy to roll.

Here are pics from today. Enjoy!

Attachments

Dec 13, 2009
Catalin 27 Scotty's Cove, Grand Lake
Wow, after strolling through the thread, I felt somewhat lacking. I too own a C 27 that needs a little TLC purchased her Dec. 2010, have done the cleaning but none of the real work. You have provided a little inspiration. Thanks.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Did some prep sanding and painting for the forward nonskid today. I will be masking a thin line around stanchions and chain plates, leaving smooth Kiwi-Grip right around them. It will be easier to roll with a little clearance around obstructions.

Also tried out a newly "borrowed" overhead drum sander. This is a hatch board from the parts boat. It was rough but not now...

This hopefully is the last step before going for the big job of sanding and prepping the foredecks for the new nonskid. After the foredeck is done, all that is left is the cockpit.

Keepin on keepin on....

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
So, the Suunto B116 compass that came to me with the boat has no fluid in it, so I know it has a leak. I have the compass out of the boat right now. While I don't need a compass, I would like one, but will wait until I can afford a new one. In the meantime, what the heck is a guy to do about the nasty hole where it was?

Any ideas? I would put in a keg tap, but that would require refrigeration..... :D

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
You got it easy, I'm dealing with bilge rats that snuck in the boat and chewed up my cushions.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
shipwreck66 said:
You got it easy, I'm dealing with bilge rats that snuck in the boat and chewed up my cushions.
Oh no!

Looks like you might have new cushions before I do...

Sorry, that sucks!

Apr 5, 2010
You know, the more I think on it, the keg tap on your boat is starting to sound good. With all the gadgets and gizmos you're adding to that boat you might need a joysick for the autopilot right there. No, I'm not kidding.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Not sure if this is totally appropriate here, but I will try. I am thinning the fleet as it were, since with the new "IRS deduction / tricycle motor" buying things like boom kickers, standing rigging, and bimini covers does not just come from the checkbook.

I am selling a couple of my classic woodies, and a few motors. See details here:

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/2830762392.html

Attachments

Apr 5, 2010
I'm almost in tears here Phil. I wish I'd known you had that beautiful Johnson 18, would've looked great on my 1952 Lone Star Commander. I have my father's original 1964 9.5 Evinrude on it right now, still have sale's brochure from 1964. Wife said no more outboards "cluttering" up my workshop.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Dude this thread is getting really long! Time to start a new one maybe?

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
jrowan said:
Dude this thread is getting really long! Time to start a new one maybe?
See Stu's comment above as forum moderator.

Think about it this way. Would you rather read a story from a single book or have to dig through a pile of magazines, each containing a small portion of the story?

I am with Stu on this one. The forum has thread tools that provide easy navigation to any portion of the thread. This way my "book" is all in one place. Most of it anyway...

Stay tuned. More to come here. Hopefully the last post is something about the boat actually hitting the water... :D

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Well...

With so many things sailing, sometimes we have to wait for a weather window. This time it is a 24-48 hour window of 60F+ I am looking for. At least I am ready.

Today saw 5 hours with a dust mask sanding starboard side decks, followed by a very thorough vacuuming. I went over the entirety of the boat above the rub rail with the exception of the cockpit with the vacuum. All that blue gel... Had it not been so light I might have looked like a Smurf.

After a thorough vacuuming I masked around all the old non-skid, leaving a fairly uniform thin line of white, just to make sure I left no blue showing. Using a scrap of 1/4" trim I marked around stanchions and other obstructions where I had previously painted on smooth material. There will be a thin 1/4" smooth area around each obstruction. Going this route took a little more prep time but should ensure that rolling the texture will go more quickly and therefore more uniform.

At this point I am ready to go, short of another quick vacuum to remove any dust, followed by a quick acetone scrub-down.

Here are a few pics.

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I thnk my weather window is here. It is 60F out right now and will be 74F tomorrow.

After work, I am going to get all the cushions out of the v-berth and out of the boat. Then I am going to put one of my oil-filled radiant heaters in the boat and seal it up for overnight.

Tomorrow afternoon with full sun on my un-insulated shop roof the interior temp should be close to 80F The boat will be warm from the heater. I can bust out the rollers and the Kiwi-Grip and get busy on the decks. I think the painting should take about 90 minutes, and hopefully I can keep up with pulling the masking tape as I go. I might get a friend to come over and follow me pulling tape about 10 minutes behind.

Tomorrow night I will leave the heater in the boat, and then Thursday morning I can go out and shut it off. Can't wait to see it after this step. The only blue left will be the cockpit floor....