bow eye 1986 Catalina 22..

Jul 25, 2019
Catalina 22 Somers Cove Marina
It's a ridiculous design. My humble opinion is, plug it and install a proper drain:

Did you find that space that clean or did you have to cut out extra fiberglass that was excess/spilled during construction. Mine is a mess behind that trim!! You could reach the lower bow eye in your..

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Did you find that space that clean or did you have to cut out extra fiberglass that was excess/spilled during construction. Mine is a mess behind that trim!! You could reach the lower bow eye in your..
I thought MINE was a mess! I found it like this when I first removed the trim. Nice hole saw work by the PO, huh? I'm still not sure if he used a 3/8 drill bit to make that opening, or a trained rat. :laugh: In any case, he then packed the white stuff (MarineTex?) up in there, in a failed attempt to stop the leak.

You think if I chipped the white stuff out, I could reach the lower bow eye nut??

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I thought MINE was a mess! I found it like this when I first removed the trim. Nice hole saw work by the PO, huh? I'm still not sure if he used a 3/8 drill bit to make that opening, or a trained rat. :laugh: In any case, he then packed the white stuff (MarineTex?) up in there, in a failed attempt to stop the leak.

You think if I chipped the white stuff out, I could reach the lower bow eye nut??

Did the PO claw out that access hole to try to fix the anchor locker drain from leaking?

Jul 25, 2019
Catalina 22 Somers Cove Marina

It’s approximately 3” from the bottom of the locker. My concern would be getting torque on the nut. No leverage. I would still go thru the locker. My area has so much extra fiberglass material (spilled) I can’t even get my hand in there. It would be a disaster getting it to look like yours.

Apr 11, 2017
It’s approximately 3” from the bottom of the locker. My concern would be getting torque on the nut. No leverage. I would still go thru the locker. My area has so much extra fiberglass material (spilled) I can’t even get my hand in there. It would be a disaster getting it to look like yours.
Look at it this way - you have a real tough bow on your boat. Good to have a tough bow at any moment of impact.

Apr 11, 2017
LOL ... yup.
The old saying about having more money than brains seems to hold true - more often than you would expect. We're all at least 2nd owners, and judging from the crazy, clawed up, PO looking repairs and modifications, often seen on this forum, the first guys owning them look like they paid first and stopped really thinking..

mll

Oct 17, 2019
Catalina 22 Wheeler Lake
I have the same problem on the bolt. I have noy looked further into it but from what I've heard and seen on the forum, I think I am going to get with some of my friends in the local Expeirment Aircraft Association to fabricate a nose block of kevlar, you won't break that....

Jun 4, 2004
-catalina -22 fresno, calif.
Contact Catalina Direct, on the few occasions that I have talked to them, they have been very helpful and seemed happy to help.

Jul 9, 2022
Catalina 22 Hamilton
I'm facing that dilemma as well, wondering if the lower nut can be reached from underneath, but it looks as though cutting out a chunk of the anchor locker is inevitable

1665968643858.png

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022
Catalina 22 Hamilton
I have messaged Catalina Yachts, this morning, about this problem, I asked if the anchor box was a structural issue. I will let you know their suggestion to gain access.