bow eye 1986 Catalina 22..

Jul 25, 2019
Catalina 22 Somers Cove Marina
Hello all.. This is my first post as a member of your forum. I was fortunate to purchase a very close to new condition 1986 Catalina 22 a few days ago. The only significant problem is the U-Bolt bow eye. I've managed to get the top nut off but the bottom nut is not accessible from the already cut access in the anchor compartment. I did pull the interior trim off and cut a access hole and found only extra/spilled fiberglass or some other material from the factory. This is a one owner boat before me and in fantastic shape. Any help will be much appreciated...
-J

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Use the cutoff wheel to slice off the offending part outside the hull. Just make sure you can get the nut on the new eye inside the hull before you do that.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
You might be able to call Catalina Direct, and ask for the technical support/ordering department. Just tell them you need to replace the bow eye, and ask them what they can sell you. They were pretty knowledgeable the couple of times I've talked with them, and helpful.

Jul 25, 2019
That’s my plan when I get back from a work trip. Unfortunately there is very little room. My hand can hardly fit thru the access!

Apr 11, 2017
Yeah - that's real tight access. Maybe hold off for a bit, until someone chimes in who has done it. There must be some sort of trick to it. I'd also call Catalina Direct, as they might actually be able to tell you right off the bat what needs to be done. I've been pretty impressed with their knowledge - they've been working with them for years.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
As far as I know, there is no way to access that nut without painful surgery. It's one of the only flaws in the '86-'95 design. I've only talked to one person who did it, and he had to cut out the bottom of the anchor locker to get at it.

Is the wood block rotten? You've tried to tighten the eye from the outside, yeah?

Apr 11, 2017
If Mr. Gene doesn't have a perfect illustrative photo and a fix to share - it's a tough nut to crack. I'd definitely call Catalina Direct and see if they can offer some advice. When I've spoken with them, they were extremely familiar with the original construction process, etc. I'd be surprised if they haven't been involved with fixing such an issue before. When you say the U bolt is pulling out - what do you mean? Does it feel like there is no backing nut on one end of it? I can't really picture what the problem could be - it seems really odd it would come loose on its own spontaneously.

Jul 25, 2019
As far as I know, there is no way to access that nut without painful surgery. It's one of the only flaws in the '86-'95 design. I've only talked to one person who did it, and he had to cut out the bottom of the anchor locker to get at it.

Is the wood block rotten? You've tried to tighten the eye from the outside, yeah?
Unfortunately it is rotten. I’m out of town for the next few days but will take another look when I get home.
Thanks!

Apr 11, 2017
If it's only the wood being rotten, and therefore allowing play in the U bolt - that may be a simpler fix. If the fiberglass hull is still solid, you might be able to substitute something creative for that block of wood. I'm interested to hear how the repair goes. Good luck-

Maybe epoxy the heck out of it?

Jul 25, 2019
If it's only the wood being rotten, and therefore allowing play in the U bolt - that may be a simpler fix. If the fiberglass hull is still solid, you might be able to substitute something creative for that block of wood. I'm interested to hear how the repair goes. Good luck-

Maybe epoxy the heck out of it?
I will try and figure something out without cutting the molded anchor locker. I will pass along my fix...I hope!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida