bow eye 1986 Catalina 22..

Jul 25, 2019
Catalina 22 Somers Cove Marina
Along Gene's line - there's this too. https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/capri-22/hull-deck/forward/bow-eye-rebuild-kit-c-22/

I'd definitely call Catalina Direct, and see how they recommend going about the repair. Must be familiar with it.
I will post my fix with pictures. I’m traveling the next few weeks but have a idea in mind when I get time. I’ll figure it out. I’m trying not to damage the anchor locker. Like I said earlier, this boat is a 1986 but looks like it came off the show room floor!! Trying to keep it that way..
Thanks,
Jonathan

Jul 25, 2019
Jul 25, 2019
Will do!!
Well here is my fix. I had to drill a hole with a 1 1/2” paddle bit through the anchor locker. I measured to mark where the bottom bow eye nut would be. Had great access to the bottom bolt. The oak backing block is a horrible design!! I used the plastic $8 part from Catalina Direct. There was already a factory 3” access in the top of the locker. You can reach the top nut from that with a little bending and 1/4” turns with a open 9/16 wrench. I used 1/4” plastic and shaped it with a scroll saw and orbital sander. Sealed it with 3M Fast Cure 4000 UV then predrilled 3 stainless steel #8 x 3/4 screws. Looks great and now there is access if needed..

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Damn - that was fast. Good job. Can you post a photo? - it would be a good reference for the next poor guy.

Jul 25, 2019
Damn - that was fast. Good job. Can you post a photo? - it would be a good reference for the next poor guy.
Here is the finished product and bad oak block. I should have taken more during fix but once you realize you have to drill the anchor locker it goes fast. Actually a easy fix!

Attachments

Apr 11, 2017
That's great. How well did the paddle bit work cutting through the fiberglass? I'd have guessed it might hang up & bind. Shows what I know... good work.

Apr 11, 2017
One thing to watch out for is water leaking from the anchor locker, into the area below. My anchor locker tube drain leaks, and it accumulates in the forward most locker, in the front of the v-berth. Maybe seal that new hole with some non-silicone caulk if needed.

Jul 25, 2019
One thing to watch out for is water leaking from the anchor locker, into the area below. My anchor locker tube drain leaks, and it accumulates in the forward most locker, in the front of the v-berth. Maybe seal that new hole with some non-silicone caulk if needed.
I used the 3M 4000 with a nice bead all the way around. With the stainless screws pulling it tight. Hoping that works!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Well here is my fix. I had to drill a hole with a 1 1/2” paddle bit through the anchor locker. I measured to mark where the bottom bow eye nut would be. Had great access to the bottom bolt. The oak backing block is a horrible design!! I used the plastic $8 part from Catalina Direct. There was already a factory 3” access in the top of the locker. You can reach the top nut from that with a little bending and 1/4” turns with a open 9/16 wrench. I used 1/4” plastic and shaped it with a scroll saw and orbital sander. Sealed it with 3M Fast Cure 4000 UV then predrilled 3 stainless steel #8 x 3/4 screws. Looks great and now there is access if needed..
Bloody fabulous! Thank you for the report! I'm really glad to hear how "easy" the fix was, both for your sake and for mine, if/when I ever have to do the same repair.

If we ever meet, remind me I owe you a beer or several! :thumbup:

Jul 25, 2019
Bloody fabulous! Thank you for the report! I'm really glad to hear how "easy" the fix was, both for your sake and for mine, if/when I ever have to do the same repair.

If we ever meet, remind me I owe you a beer or several! :thumbup:
There is no way to get to the bottom nut without drilling the locker. I pulled the fwd wood trim in the v-berth and drilled a 4”
hole behind it (trim is sturdy enough to cover no problem). I found a bunch of pooled fiberglass resin that would need to be ground out. Even if I went that direction I’m confident I still couldn’t get to the bottom nut. It’s approximately 3” from the bottom of the locker. The way I ended up doing it is the best option for getting the bow eye secure and not losing your mind/patience in the process!!

Apr 11, 2017
JGuy - did you happen to see what the bow anchor locker drain apparatus and/or drain tube looked like, when you had that bow hole open? Mine's leaking - so I was thinking of trying to re-sheath it with an 8mm OD nylon flexible tube, slid through the current drain tube. I've heard mention of that method working in the past - but you might have some valuable intel of what it actually looks like in there --

I've already tried re-caulking around the current drain tube, but that's been no improvement, so it seems there must be a hole in the drain tube itself.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
I
JGuy - did you happen to see what the bow anchor locker drain apparatus and/or drain tube looked like, when you had that bow hole open? Mine's leaking - so I was thinking of trying to re-sheath it with an 8mm OD nylon tube, slid through the current drain tube. I'm heard mention of that method working in the past - but you might have some valuable intel of what it actually looks like in there --

I've already tried re-caulking around the current drain tube, but that's been no improvement, so it seems there must be a hole in the drain tube itself.
I did not look. Odds are it’s covered in excess fiberglass material. It’s very sloppy behind the visible parts. Sorry

Jul 25, 2019
One question.. Thread drift!! Is the topping lift nice to have or must have? When the boat was “professionally” moved to Maryland on its trailer 14 years ago the company cut the halyards and topping lift. I’ve got the new halyards run, is the topping lift something I can wait on? Hoping to take the boat on it’s first sail in a long time soon. I also have to relearn how to sail again. It’s been many years!!

Apr 11, 2017
I believe it's one more thing to play around with when raising the mast - but it's certainly better than finding yourself on a beam reach before you remember to un-clip the pigtail. I believe it can also add some fullness to the mainsail if it's slightly tensioned, and allow you to swing the boom to the side at anchor. I don't have any extremely strong feelings either way, but I have one.

Jul 25, 2019
I believe it's one more thing to play around with when raising the mast - but it's certainly better than finding yourself on a beam reach before you remember to un-clip the pigtail. I believe it can also add some fullness to the mainsail if it's slightly tensioned, and allow you to swing the boom to the side at anchor. I don't have any extremely strong feelings either way, but I have one.
Thanks..I’ve got the kit. May add it later..

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
JGuy - did you happen to see what the bow anchor locker drain apparatus and/or drain tube looked like, when you had that bow hole open? Mine's leaking - so I was thinking of trying to re-sheath it with an 8mm OD nylon flexible tube, slid through the current drain tube. I've heard mention of that method working in the past - but you might have some valuable intel of what it actually looks like in there --

It's a ridiculous design. My humble opinion is, plug it and install a proper drain:

Apr 11, 2017
Nice Gene - that puppy will drain the Titanic. You're not messing around. Nice work-