Boom rigging

Oct 18, 2019
Johnson 18 Weekender 4 corners marina
WHOA!
Before you modify the mast step because the side shrouds are loose, check that the mast is centered and that the mast rake is not excessive! In other word, you need to tune the rig before you modify anything permanently.

If the combined length of the forestay components is too long, there will be too much mast rake, which will make the side shrouds loose. (Rake is the term for leaning the mast aft. Different designs of rigs require different amounts of rake)

What does the forestay and furler drum look like? What does the luff ( front edge) of the headsail look like?

. The easiest way to measure rake by getting the boat level on the trailer, using a bubble level on the cockpit seats. Then hang a weight from the halyard using the halyard. At the height of the boom, measure the distance between the back face of the mast and the halyard. Also measure along the mast from the gooseneck to the halyard at the top of the mast.

Tell us the measurements. With a little trig, we can figure out wether your mast has a reasonable or excessive amount of rake.

A rig like yours would have between 0.5 to 1.5 degrees of rake, and probably on the lower end of the range. For a rough approximation, 1 degree would be 1:60 ratio.

I would guess that a boat with a main Sail like your boat would measurements roughly 19-20’ between the boom and the halyard exit at the top of the mast, so I would guess that you the plumb line should hang about 4” aft of the mast for about 1 degree of rake.

If there is significantly more rake than normal, you might have a problem with the forestay.

Judy B
Retired sailmaker
I hope I can work on this tomorrow. Thanks for the direction.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
So the cable has actually eaten into the block damaging it. I think it was origionally designed for rope line rather than cable. SO thanks for the info. I know which part to order.
I’d recommend this one instead. Stronger and lighter. Less expensive
Seldén BBB25 High Load Ball Bearing Wire Block

Oct 18, 2019
Weather has been most uncooperative. Sunday we finally had a nice day with favorable winds. So we went sailing. In looking at the boat and mast ,sitting on the water, it appears to be centered starboard to port and does not appear to very much tilt aft (forgot the name). Everything tightens up nicely when tension is applied to aft adjustment.
We had our best day of sailing yet.
I still plan to take some measurements as suggested but with class coming up I wanted to get some sailing in.
Watching others sail this weekend in a race around the lake it is obvious I have much to learn. They moved on course and mission while i chaced the wind.
I'll post more as I go.
Still several of questions and really appreciate the help.

Oct 18, 2019
We made it back from St Vincent and out sail and learn. my wife and I completed our 101, 103, 104 and 114 ASA courses.
The trip and experience was amazing. The folks at BOSS were fantastic and skipper Joel was great to work with.
we keep hoping for some decent weather to get back to our boat and sailing. However, we already want to upgrade but stay trailerable. Also, would like something we could trailer to the Gulf to do some sailing there as well.
As far as something as a minimum of 24 feet to 27 or what would still be trailerable , what would be a good boat for lake and ocean use?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former dealer @DrJudyB is a good source to listen to as she is a sail maker with experience. Yes good information but way too much that may be confusing. However it would be helpful to identify mast and boom. Back when the boat was built a furling boom was available. Simply you could pull the boom back and turn it. See if that is the case. If not, disregard my question

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
As a former dealer @DrJudyB is a good source to listen to as she is a sail maker with experience. Yes good information but way too much that may be confusing.

However it would be helpful to identify mast and boom. Back when the boat was built a furling boom was available. Simply you could pull the boom back and turn it. See if that is the case. If not, disregard my question
LOL . Thanks @Crazy Dave Condon. Next time I’ll try to be less informative! :D :D :D

Last edited: