Boat Wash!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
OK, I want to know what you use to wash your boat. Specially the brand of the soap or whatever you use. If you use plain water, cool. Otherwise list the products that you have determined to be the end-all for boat washing suds.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Water, lots of water. Occasionally, Simple Green in a bucket of water and scrub brushes, then prompt rinsing.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
My boat gets washed with West Marine boat soap.
Of course, my deck gelcoat is in pretty awful condition, so it's mainly to get the bird poo off. Dunno if it really would clean up non-oxidized gelcoat well.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Dawn dish detergent and soft window washing brush on a pole. If birds attack the deck, I add some Oxiclean powder, use a stiffer brush head, and if mildew shows up, a splash of Clorox to a fresh 5 gallon bucket of second wash water. So far the only thing that doesn’t depart the deck and cockpit after cleaning are the damn spiders. Cindy bought me an electric fly swatter we’re gonna try out this year on the arachnids. Oxi also works on those troublesome red wine spills. Oh yeah... lots of rinse water too!

If you place the Dawn dish soap bottle on deck in an obvious spot while cleaning, the tree huggers leave you alone.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I put about half an ounce of Dawn in about 2-3 quarts of water & have at it with a deck brush. If I've been fishing & the stench of bait is present, I add an ounce or ounce & a half of bleach to the mix. For rust stains & tannin lines, I use an oxalic acid based rust remover (like rust aid) before normal cleaning. For rust stains on stainless steel, I use Witchinox(sp?) A couple of friends of mine swear by Orpine for general deck cleaning, but I don't use it.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
No dish soap for me because it strips the wax. I can't remember the name of the stuff I use and the label fell off. It's in a gallon jug.
You might take Mainsail's advice:

Here is a quote:
1) With two coats of a paste Carnuba on the hull I only wash the boat with IMAR boat wash or Awlwash the soap made to wash Awlgrip. These products are great and also safe, and IMAR is also approved & safe for washing Strataglass dodger windows. The reason I use IMAR Boat Wash is because it's the only product I've found that cleans well but does not prematurely break down the wax. With IMAR I'm still beading after 7-8 months. Avoid the use of any soap with a built in wax, or one that's a heavy detergent based product and by all means do not use Joy, Palmolive or dish washing detergents as they eat waxes for lunch. You can order IMAR products from Defender or directly from the IMAR web site although Defender is cheaper. Using this and a very soft car wash brush on a stick works well and does not ruin your wax job.

The quote is from here:https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/tips-for-a-great-buff-wax.117266/

Ken

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
I usually start with 2 good IPA's administered internally, add to that a bucket of H20 with a bit of mild biodegradable detergent and copious quantities of fresh H20 to rinse. Halfway through the project a 3rd IPA administered internally followed up with an additional rinsing with copious quantities of fresh H20. Follow up with a 4th IPA and some good music while the sun dries up the H20 residue and you have a decent Saturday afternoon boat cleaning session.

Oct 6, 2015
Compac 27 Anderson, SC
Mcguires car soap with carnuba wax mixed with water (a little stronger than used on a car) and a scrub brush will clean off the dirt and leave a little wax. Only enough wax to protect but is not slippery.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I usually start with 2 good IPA's administered internally,
Ned. I like your style. Not a IPA drinker but a good ale, porter, or stout would be good.

Even better you finish the cleaning and stil have the last two bottles of the 6 pack to sit down and admire the work quality.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
I second Starbrite deck wash with PTef. Used it for years. Have never seen the grey decks on my boats fade. Simple Green works great for the bilge.....only place I will use it.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Not a IPA drinker but a good ale, porter, or stout would be good.
Here Here! Try Ommegang's Three Philosophers Belgian style quad.
I am real interested in this thread. It might help expand upon my renaming ritual post, although, soap is not really necessary, just water ( https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/the-practical-renaming-ceremony.188929/ ).
I grew up earning money washing fishing boats for the deck hands who wanted to cut out early after a day of fishing the Gulf of Mexico. Lots of bleach in a bucket of water. I'm sure it wasn't very food for the deck but, it got the fish guts and squid snot off.
-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I used Roll Off for the first time the other day and was very pleased.. I don't think it is gentile enough on wax, but it really did knock off the mildew on the hull just above the waterline.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Is it really possible to clean without taking off wax?
Even water wears down wax.
- Will (Dragonfly)