The practical renaming ceremony.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
This is a repost of my description of the renaming ceremony I used to rename Dragonfly from Tempest. -

It is true that it is generally bad luck to change the name of a boat. However, there are appropriate ways of doing so. This link (Ceremony for Renaming Your Boat | Boat Safe | Water Sports, Product Reviews, and Nautical News) describes the traditional way of doing so. Iti
involves the onerous task of erasing all references to the vessel's old name and convincing Posidon to forget the boat's old name and remove it from his ledger, replacing it with the new name. I, on the other hand, am renaming my new boat by a slightly different method. In the end, they are essentially the same but, my method, deeply founded on the ancient and accepted tradition of symbolism, as is that describe by the link above, takes advantage of a more natural route.
As the death card in Taro symbolizes change rather than a literal translation of death, I symbolically scuttled my newly purchased mariner named 'Tempest'. This is done to allow the old boat the dignity of having lived out its natural life. Thus, there is no spiritual conflict with the new identity.
The way you symbolically scuttle the old boat is to cover her in water. This is most easily done by simply washing her with a hose completely. Make sure she is entirely covered and wet above the waterline. Soap is optional but it does help to identify the areas that need more water before other areas dry completely. Remember to hold in your mind the idea your new boat is sinking and will be lost forever while you do this. Also, it helps to start out with help but, as you proceed, yell, "we're sinking! We're sinking! Abandon ship! Abandon ship! Mayday! Mayday! ABANDON SHIP!" or something to that affect. Words are not, strictly speaking, necessary, remember, this is symbolic. Have your help leave the vessel but, you, as the captain, must go down with your ship so you have to stay aboard and soak yourself down. This is something that I happen to find completely natural and often unavoidable whenever I wash my boat anyhow. It is also a good idea to soak you crew down as they "abandon ship" since they are "symbolically jumping into the water to escape (high pressure nozzle works best).
When done washing your boat, take this time to remove your captain's hat and hold it to your heart while bowing your head in respect during a last moment of silence for the sad passing of such beauty as your old boat surely was. That is, if you still have your hat after going down with the ship.
Next, it is appropriate to scrub the old name from your vessel. As the young initiates were traditionally washed before meditation on their journey of rebirth as a full member into the ranks of the wise, so you must wash the old name from your vessel. In ancient Greece, an inductee to the hermetic societies were prepared for this process by cleansing then a period of "incubation" in a cave to symbolize descent into Tartarus. Upon crawling back out to the surface, they were thus "risen from the dead" as a new man.
I find the period of time it takes to paint a new name on the stern is nearly enough incubation time. Remember, while preparing your brand new vessel for her new life under her new name, you want to be holding in your mind, images of her new life under your caring, attentive and wise ownership.
You are nearly done at this point in the renaming process. Symbolically, there isn't any real need to do more but, I feel it should be important to take some significant characteristic of the old boat and change it. Something like her color, change out her old mainsail for a new one. Get her a new auxiliary motor or, in my case for Dragonfly, make new hatch boards for her with a cool little design that is unique to the new identity. Do magazines (and forums) focus too much on larger boats...
Now, you have symbolically ended the life of the old vessel and launched a completely new boat that will carry her new name as though it was hers from the day she was launched at the original boatyard where she was built.
By the way, I definitely recommend a liberal use of either champagne or beer throughout this long and involved ceremony. My particular method is to act more directly as a vessel of Poseidon's presence than is recommended in the ceremony described by boatsafe.com at the earlier link. After all, one can never be certain that Poseidon gets his fair share of you just willy-nilly dump copious amounts of expensive beverage into the sea. Of course, only you can judge what kind of libations Poseidon will be in the mood for while your own ceremony is being conducted. I think it is important here that one goes with one's gut on this point.
I hope this clarifies and helps you figure out how to correctly change the name on your new mistress, ahem! boat.

- Will (Dragonfly, not related to Tempest)

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
When I renamed our boat, I figured that Poseidon was never going to find us on Lake Hopatcong. When we returned to the sea, there would be no memory of our new boat and no knowledge of the whereabouts of the old. I don't think Poseidon pays any attention to the goings-on inland ... maybe the Great Lakes, but I'm not even sure about that.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The first thing I did when I brought my boat home after pulling the cb and fixing the trailer was was the boat' topside. Nope? None of that?
- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think the Kraken is fine with lake water, it's the locks. They catch it's trail when they close.
Still, flaunt and tease the gods too much and they will brave the locks.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Unfortunately, and with respect to the person who thought up the original name, we subscribe to no such historical symbolism, ie; nonsense. Acetone and a good cut polish remove the vestiges of sun damage, and we're good to go. The superstition, however, is unfounded, we understand completely that if you manage to flip the boat on Wabamun, you simply hop off and wade your way to shore.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
In my brief lifetime of sailing, I've owned and sailed 5 boats. All but one had a name. The nameless boat was totaled in Hurricane Isobel in 2003. So much for superstition....:yikes:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Ok. Let me just get this straight. It is a fact that maritime tradition holds that it is bad luck to rename a boat. Whether or not one may be superstitious, there is a tradition surrounding this process. In answer to a question about that tradition and what one must do to "properly"rename their boat, I posted this description originally on the mariner association Web site. I reposted here because I thought others might like a simpler way of satisfying that concern than the libation wasting, red tape fighting, pagan process described on BoatSafe.com and you are all saying you went through no such ceremony?
My heavily researched, natural-based, traditionally symbolic methods have not been observed by any of you? :badbad:
I am very sceptical! :meh:
- Will (Dragonfly)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I am not superstitious. At all. (Except for putting my right shoe on first.) I didn’t do a proper renaming ceremony with either boat I renamed. Maybe that’s why if you look at just the right angle you can baaaaaaaaaarley see where the name was.

But seriously, it’s a great excuse for a party.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I didn’t do a proper renaming ceremony with either boat I renamed.
Kermit, did you not wash your boat when you brought her home, all the while thinking about how your new boat is yours, the old name has to go, your life with your new boat will be uniquely your boating life thus ending your new Boat's old life? These thoughts were not on your mind? Did you enjoy a beverage while working on your new boat? Was there a period of time between the removal of the old name, a scrubbing of the old name, and the painting and drying of the new name? Not a time of inactivity, just time to contemplate your boat's new life. Have you changed some characteristic of the old boat like her color or bought her new sails or had a custom uniquely, artistically designed hatch board made for her by yours truly? I think the answers are yes, you have done those things and therefore, you have properly renamed your boat. If not, then, I'm sorry it's been good chatting with you. I hope your luck continues to hold;).
Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I just remembered, my avatar pic was taken during the renaming of our first boat!

I believe in the one true God a little too strongly to get too far off into the Neptune/Poseidon thing. But imbuing the ocean - and my boat - with human qualities, such as fondness for alcohol, is just fine with me. :thumbup:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Kermit, did you not wash your boat when you brought her home, all the while thinking about how your new boat is yours, the old name has to go, your life with your new boat will be uniquely your boating life thus ending your new Boat's old life? These thoughts were not on your mind? Did you enjoy a beverage while working on your new boat? Was there a period of time between the removal of the old name, a scrubbing of the old name, and the painting and drying of the new name? Not a time of inactivity, just time to contemplate your boat's new life. Have you changed some characteristic of the old boat like her color or bought her new sails or had a custom uniquely, artistically designed hatch board made for her by yours truly? I think the answers are yes, you have done those things and therefore, you have properly renamed your boat. If not, then, I'm sorry it's been good chatting with you. I hope your luck continues to hold;).
Will (Dragonfly)
Wellllllllllll, not really. I washed and cleaned it only because it was dirty. I removed the old names myself but the sign company put the new vinyl on for me. Both boats needed very little work because I hate doing that sort of thing and I’m not very good at it. But I’m pretty good at drinkin’ beer.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Kermit, sounds to me like you are all set. Washed your boat, scrubbed the old name of, put a new name on and had a drink. All boxes checked. :thumbup:
Remember, symbolism is as old as human consciousness. That's all out is.
- Will (Dragonfly)
Oh, is that you on the guitar?