Best trailerable boat

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Jackdaw;

For those of us to contribute and offer our help, there are those who never respond back since the first posting to thank all of us to start off with nor to advise if that advice is helpful for which I do thank you and everyone else who does. From time to time I do get inquiries and respond. Nearly everyone thanks me for contributing my time and in some cases I will go and help them personally. Some of the friendships that I have made are wonderful which is one reason I am still here.

When it would take too long to write, I want to call and even then some do not understand I have arthritis in my hands which hurts.

Sometimes the posts get off course and continue when it has nothing to do with the original question. I think posts should be specific to the original question. Anyway, thank you very much for your participation. Several close friendships include Jim Seamans, Kermit of course berribit and a fellow who works with Garfield the Cat. Meow Meow.

Merry Christmas to one and all and a very merry Happy New Year.

That's all folks.

boblin

Nov 20, 2014
Catalina 34 Milwaukee
Rhodes 22

Here,s another opinion on the Rhodes-22, We sailed one for 11 years and really enjoyed it. Stan Spitzer owner designed it, and Phil Rhodes rubber stamped it. Stan should be a consultant to the boating industry. Everything on the Rhodes is designed to make things easy from the sliding motor mount to the simplest furling systems. The pop top with a camper canvas was totally unique and made for many nice overnights. The boat is tender but we had a 130 genny left over from our Sonar racing days and it really improved performance. The con side of the Rhodes is it does not go upwind very well,its tender and as soon as the wind pipes up you have to start furling,decreasing the efficiency of the sail and subsequent ability to get upwind. Now having said this, if that is not an important factor you can not find a better designed boat. If you do decide to buy one don't over power it. It goes through the water so easily a four hp will push it to hull speed, it won't go any faster with a 8hp

Good luck

Bob F

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Re: Rhodes 22

Bob F,
I'll second what you say about the Rhodes 22 not going upwind all that great. The 8' beam on a 22' boat doesn't help. The fastest point of sail on that boat was dead downwind. Sailing wing on wing with the whisker pole and preventer made for the fastest speeds I ever made on that boat.
Bob K

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Chief;

Merrry Christmas my friend and thank you for all your contributions and to those who also do too. Happy New Year.

In spite of the beam there are many happy Rhodes 22 sailors. Often I hear a boat is slow but in the end that might be a minus but there are other factors to include knowledge of sailing, knowledge of the sailing area, use ofsail and rudder control and so on. I use to race on a Rhodes 22 built by Stan and it use to beat J 22 and J24 boats in racing for all other factors included.

boblin

Nov 20, 2014
Catalina 34 Milwaukee
The only way you would beat a J-22/24 with a Rhodes is going down the road on a trailer.

Merry Christmas

Bob

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
My truck is bigger than you truck. So what?

Merry Christmas all

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Meriachee: I was scared to death that you was going tell us that a Catalina 27 is the ideal trailerable! ha Merry Christmas! Chief

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Chief, I didn't bring it up cuz it would be wasting bandwidth for something we already knew.
Ha ha.

Have a great holiday.
Cheers
Gary

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Guys;

Only if you knew what I have done as a dealer but what I say is what I have either done and or experienced. By the way, I did make a Catalina 27 along with a Hunter 27 (1989) both trailerable with mast raise systems. The best sale which I lost money on was to design systems for a 60 yr old doctor who was paralyzed on the left side to be able to lift himself out of a wheel chair onto a special seat on a Hunter 260, sail and motor by himself. The satisfaction was the look in his eyes enjoying sailing.

On this wonderful day, May God Shower his Blessins to One and All.
Merry Christmas.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I forgot one of the resources I used when boat shopping.
http://www.sailingjoy.com/phrf
This allows one to compare the performance of several boats in one view. Seems a much better way to shop, particularly if you are looking at a daysailor. I discovered from my first boat that there are a ton of boats out there that are what I would call consumer boats. Boats designed to make money and take advantage of sailing popularity of the late 70s. These boats are not necessarily good sailing design, but just designed to look cool, or have a lot of bells and whistles. Stuff to stroke one's pride, rather than be enjoyable to sail.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
In the end it is the buyer who will determine what he wants in a boat, esthetetics of a boat, and how much money they want to spend to include upgrades and repairs

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Have a look at a Ranger

I'm looking to purchase a good boat that I can trailer from location to location. Something that's fun to sail yet has plenty of room inside and amenities. I want something that would be good for sailing/camping for a few days at a time. I figured this would be a great place to come for suggestions. Any help you folks can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Since you are in PDX, have a look at a Ranger 20. After 30 years they still race and cruise as a fleet around here.
Similar speed to a Catalina 22 but more fun to sail. They sleep two - adults.

We used to trailer sail and cruise one for weekends for five years. Solid boat, built by Ranger Boats in Kent WA, and designed by Ray Richards NA.
If you want a much larger trailerable sailboat, there is one of his 26 foot Ranger models for sale over at local brokers Passion Yachts.
(no personal or financial interest have I)

Cheers,
Loren

ps: we might all be spinning our wheels (luffing our sails?)... the OP has not even checked in since 12-10.

Dec 29, 2014
mcgregor 26 port st lucie
Have to put my vote with the McGregor 26m used and the tattoo new, cause the stopped making mc26m and tattoo took over.